Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: School you applied to that turned you off most during cycle  (Read 14516 times)

awesomepossum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Playing possum can go too far
    • View Profile
Re: School you applied to that turned you off most during cycle
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2007, 04:25:50 PM »
BU was by far the worst.  I sent in my application at the beginning of December, and they couldn't tell me if I was even complete until March.  After I was in at Michigan, I couldn't withdraw from BU fast enough.
U.Michigan 2011 (deferred from '10)

fowles

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2007, 04:28:06 PM »
Anyone get their travel reimbursements from Penn or Northwestern?  They're both really dragging their feet getting back to me, despite earlier promises (I've already withdrawn from both, but a deal's a deal).  No complaints other than that...I was actually impressed by Georgetown's efficiency, esp. when you consider the size of their applicant pool. 

Sam P. Huntington

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2007, 04:30:35 PM »
I agree with awesomepossum!

Worst: Boston University. And not just because of my final phone conversation with them. I had the numbers, recommendations, honors (from a top undergrad institution), and interesting work experience. I transmitted my application on September 6, 2006 (that’s right! SEPTEMBER), and included an essay about why I was extremely interested in BU Law. Two current students wrote letters of support that were added to my file. As the months went by, I sent in two addendums to my application, noting significant professional achievements. In the meantime, T14s waitlisted me and BC Law accepted me and began to win me over. I met incoming and current BC students and loved them. When I called to inquire about the status of my application, BU repeatedly replied, “you’re in committee.” Thanks guys, I’ve been “in committee” forever. Finally I reached Joan Horgan, Dean of Admissions. She feigned interest in my situation and admitted that April was a long time to be waiting for a decision. Others in the office gave me false hope, suggesting that good news would come my way soon. Finally I got a rejection over the phone. When the extremely rude Admissions person (named Melissa or Amanda, I believe?) had the audacity to ask me “if I was okay with the decision?” (like my feelings mattered or could have changed anything!) I said, “Completely. I’m going to your competitor and I feel great about it.” Their loss!

Best: BC Law. Great about keeping in touch with applicants/keeping them posted, friendly admissions office, and they sent me information about a unique scholarship that they thought would be a good match - I’m now a finalist. 
Boston College Law School Class of 2010

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2007, 04:36:27 PM »
I was actually impressed by Georgetown's efficiency, esp. when you consider the size of their applicant pool. 

I was, too, until they emailed me and asked what amount of aid would make a difference in my decision to attend and then never got back to me.  I eventually got the 'congratulations, we're letting you pay full price' letter in the mail.
U of Chicago 2010.

fowles

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2007, 04:42:45 PM »
I was actually impressed by Georgetown's efficiency, esp. when you consider the size of their applicant pool. 

I was, too, until they emailed me and asked what amount of aid would make a difference in my decision to attend and then never got back to me.  I eventually got the 'congratulations, we're letting you pay full price' letter in the mail.

What amount would have made a difference?  Maybe they sensed your hesitation.  But yeah, snail mail really shouldn't be used late in the cycle - too many deadlines facing applicants. 

Sartre1982

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2007, 04:44:43 PM »
Worst: BC.  I thought that their letter of rejection was especially cold and a bit soulless.

Best: Contrary to some other people's experiences, I had great interactions with BU.  Granted, I will be going there, but they were always curteous, professional and very VERY nice when I called.  Even before I was accepted.

Honorable mention: I know it's not a school high on a lot of people's lists, but Quinnipiac was by far the most personal of the schools I applied to.  I even got a holiday card from them.  Brooklyn Law was also very nice.  

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2007, 05:02:06 PM »

What amount would have made a difference?  Maybe they sensed your hesitation.  But yeah, snail mail really shouldn't be used late in the cycle - too many deadlines facing applicants. 

I was honest.  I said I had been offered a scholarship and was currently facing a $20,000/yr difference between GT and a comparable school but that Georgetown was my top choice and that any amount of aid would effect my decision.

Even $5K/year would've made a difference because I would've heard back and felt like there was some sort of attention being paid to applicants.  The whole experience with GT sort of left me feeling like they have XXXX number of applicants and it made no difference to them if I came or not.  Money is only part of the reason I chose not to attend GT (others being campus layout, location, and unhelpful admin).  I would've paid full price if they'd been like Vandy.  I've heard from current GULC that they had/have a very different experience, but I wasn't willing to bank on the fact that what turned me off what just a one-time thing.

I've had a better experience with Chicago, and I'm on their waitlist, not even admitted.
U of Chicago 2010.

Roman815

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2007, 05:30:12 PM »
Lewis & Clark.  Who the hell do those people think they are?

Yeah, Lewis and Clark must think that they are an Ivy or something. After sending me a fee waiver they decided to defer me. I then received an e-mail asking if I was still interested in attending on April 31st. After calling them up I was told that I had been waitlisted and that I could be taken off the waitlist "from next week to late August". This was just absurd so I withdrew. Maybe they sent me the fee waiver because they wanted to lower their acceptance rate.

I thought that Santa Clara or the University of San Diego would have been on this list but they gave me a decision and never played any games with my head. I applied to Lewis and Clark because I thought that the California schools would shun me but the opposite happened. I was actually really excited about going to Portland but I think that I will be much happier in San Diego. USD has made me feel better about the whole thing though because I had just come back from visiting them when I got the Lewis and Clark e-mail which said that I had to respond by May 4th or I would be withdrawn. On may 4th I received a $16,000 scholarship from USD so I guess that worked out. Similarly, when Loyola had waitlisted me, USD took me in so I guess it was meant to be. They were my third choice and the first two rejected me. I should have never wasted my time with Lewis and Clark because they are the ones who got my hopes up and then treated me poorly. Case Western Reserve accepted me a few days ago but they took forever. I'm going to USD anyways so I guess it doesn't matter.
University of San Diego School of Law Class of 2010!

LSN

KillYourself

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2007, 05:32:31 PM »
Probably GW.  The person who answered the phone (usually a guy named Travis) was pretty rude.  Whenever he would pick up the phone he'd say "hold on" and then just transfer back to his other line without saying hi or anything.  Other times he was flat out rude when I asked him specific questions.  I understand that some questions he just simply could not answer, but there's a nice way and a rude way to do it.  I should point out that I always called in the morning so it's not like it was the end of the day and he was tired and ready to go home.

There was a lady that sometimes answered the phone too sometimes -- she was the same way.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2007, 05:33:46 PM »
Lewis & Clark.  Who the hell do those people think they are?

Yeah, Lewis and Clark must think that they are an Ivy or something. After sending me a fee waiver they decided to defer me. I then received an e-mail asking if I was still interested in attending on April 31st. After calling them up I was told that I had been waitlisted and that I could be taken off the waitlist "from next week to late August". This was just absurd so I withdrew. Maybe they sent me the fee waiver because they wanted to lower their acceptance rate.

I thought that Santa Clara or the University of San Diego would have been on this list but they gave me a decision and never played any games with my head. I applied to Lewis and Clark because I thought that the California schools would shun me but the opposite happened. I was actually really excited about going to Portland but I think that I will be much happier in San Diego. USD has made me feel better about the whole thing though because I had just come back from visiting them when I got the Lewis and Clark e-mail which said that I had to respond by May 4th or I would be withdrawn. On may 4th I received a $16,000 scholarship from USD so I guess that worked out. Similarly, when Loyola had waitlisted me, USD took me in so I guess it was meant to be. They were my third choice and the first two rejected me. I should have never wasted my time with Lewis and Clark and with other out of state schools because they are the ones who gave me the most problems.

I don't think this is absurd at all. Admittedly*, I think it sucks, but it's certainly not absurd. I'm sure they do their best to get acceptances out as soon as possible, but there's always the chance that someone won't show up to the first day of class. Just because you're not willing to switch plans at that last minute for L&C doesn't mean other people won't be thrilled to have the chance.

*har har har