Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: School you applied to that turned you off most during cycle  (Read 14554 times)

dante500

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lookin' forward to livin' the life
    • View Profile
Although I had no intentions of going there and applied only because of a waiver, Golden Gate wins this hands down.  No responses from emails to admissions reps who had sent ME emails, acceptance letter shows up TODAY (I applied before Christmas), and the hokey package they sent is reminiscent of what I used to put together with construction paper in elementary school. Also, their scholarship offer and requirements are worded quite celverly, and nearly impossible to maintain (from what I can tell).

California Western and Arizona State are also well up my sh*t list as well, for similar, yet not so harsh, reasons.

Share yours. I actually think this is both useful to others and therapeutic to the soul.
I once told a woman that I coined the phrase "pardon my French."

pastor of muppets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: School you applied to that turned you off most during cycle
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 01:36:24 PM »
Lewis & Clark.  Who the hell do those people think they are?

The Pookie

• Sr. Citizen
  • the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 01:38:52 PM »
Cornell.

They took extremely long time to give me my finanical aid package. First, they sent me an email saying that I was being considerd for merit aid, which i took to be "you're getting $$"

THEN i ge their fin aid package, NO aid, just loans.

Thanks alma mater!

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 01:39:08 PM »
Really wished Villanova knew how to reply to emails
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

dante500

• Sr. Citizen
  • Lookin' forward to livin' the life
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 01:41:01 PM »
On the flipside, I'll add that Stetson has been hands down the best school to deal with.  Chapman (which I also had fews plans to actually attend; see above) was a close second, I really must admit.

Down with GG!
I once told a woman that I coined the phrase "pardon my French."

TimothyLeary

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 01:43:20 PM »
Vanderbilt was the most impersonal and least accommodating. 

St. John's was the most helpful by far.

Para Legal

• Sr. Citizen
  • Go Pipers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 01:45:30 PM »
Duquesne: I applied to them in my first batch of applications (November!) and got my first response from them on Saturday, May 12. And it was a waitlist.

Valpo: they recruited and recruited...and then waitlisted me (even after presumably receiving my name from LSAC and knowing where my LSAT score was)

Best schools to deal with so far:

Hamline: very nice, phone call to inform me of admissions decision and have always been very pleasant on the phone- even when calling umpteen times to determine my status. I was never treated like I was a pest.

UALR: Incredibly nice and the Dean has been especially wonderful about returning emails on a personal basis.

Cheers,

Para  :D
Hamline University School of Law
1L

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 01:47:51 PM »
Best customer service:  GW, Duke
Worst: Stanford (I base it on just taking so damn long)

paul1454

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 01:48:25 PM »
The University of Kentucky (Dean Bakert specifically) was awful this cycle.  They lost correspondence I sent them, failed to respond to questions, and were quite rude in some of my interactions with them.  

For example, I am an instate student above their 75% for both GPA and LSAT.  They offered me a small scholarship that was a joke.  I was told they would reevaluate the scholarship yet no news ever came.  Two weeks after I was supposed to receive a response, I followed up on my inquiry and received an e-mail from Dean Bakert (who requested I e-mail her directly) that stated "Frankly, I do not have time to answer your questions right now".  

I withdrew several days later.  

ptown

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 01:52:33 PM »
worst...Valpo.  I never intended on going there, just applied to make wife happy. I couldn't believe the WL me, although it does take the option of moving back to NW Indiana off the table, so thats a plus.

best...Missouri, although I really only talked to them after I was accepted with money and was deciding to matric.  Also, Iowa has been very nice.  I was put on WL there and had a deadline to respond.  When I didn't (I was out of town), they emailed and gave me like another 10 days and were really nice in their responses.

Also, Marquette kind of pissed me off because when I didn't send in a deposit by their deadline, they sent a letter that in a brash way said I was being "unaccepted" for not turning in the money ontime. Then it goes on to say something to the effect of "if there has been some error and you do intend to enroll, please call us to rectify the situation"  ::)
Missouri 1L

"I was discriminated against during the college-testing process because I come from a culture that is opposed to filling in circles completely and with firm pressure."