Nine Years of Discussion
;

Poll

Do you need it?

Guy - I NEED to be in a top school
 35 (25.5%)
Guy - It would be nice to be in a top school
 41 (29.9%)
Guy - Meh, i just want to be in a school!
 10 (7.3%)
Gal - I NEED to be in a top school
 24 (17.5%)
Gal - It would be nice to be in a top school
 21 (15.3%)
Gal - Meh, i just want to be in a school!
 6 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: What type of person NEEDS to go to a Top School?  (Read 5296 times)

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
Re: What type of person NEEDS to go to a Top School?
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2007, 07:21:39 PM »
Well, I need to go to a top law school because I am not sure if I want to go at all, and better law schools have more value to trump opportunity costs. Going to YHS might be better than all my alternatives (working, a different graduate school, becoming a hermit, whatever), but Duke or Virginia likely isn't, in my view. Requirement isn't sufficiency, however - I am still not sure if I would go to ANY law school. Applications are fairly cheap, and the LSAT is enjoyable for me, so there's not a big risk involved with he process, whatever my ultimate decision. I guess I didn't really answer the question of what "type of person", but I suppose the type that shares my attribute of being somewhat ambivalent about law school in general.

i'm not really sure I get this. If you're not sure law school/law is what you want to do, wouldn't it make sense to take less debt? I don't think your non-law options are significantly less coming from UVa versus Yale. But maybe i'm wrong?

dougiefresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2007, 07:29:44 PM »
Shut up.

Stupid generalization.

Personal hit?   To be honest there was only one T20 school I wanted to go to from the outset, maybe two.  I don't like being around snobby people all the freaking time, I did that for 3 years.  I'm sure several of you T14'ers aren't but that was the impression I got before I started applying.

Haha amen my friend.  I think you'll find midwesterners are a lot more grounded and friendly in general than the UVa UG types from the East Coast/NOVA

1) I said "in general" dumba$$, so of course it's a generalization and not always the case
2) Since he and I have the same view of East Coast people from UVa (having both gone there), I was saying he'll probably have the same view I do in regards to Midwesterners.
3) I wasn't talking about the whole East Coast, just the UVa UG population that draws from it
4) Considering how much everyone knocks the Midwest, I think it's only fair to defend it, and it wouldn't be snobby to do so.  The culture is definitely more laidback than the East Coast IN GENERAL.
Air Flare - attending NU in Fall 2007

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2007, 07:47:04 PM »
People NEED to go to a certain level of school because they have expectations for themselves. Judging from the type of people who go into law, we're born competitors. Even if we're only competing against ourselves, we're the kind of people who NEED to run 4 miles in 25 minutes when we jog, who NEED to make dean's list in the 8th semester, long after we've been accepted to our dream school, who NEED to go to a certain level of grad school. Some people can be happy with being mediocre (however you personally measure that), but I'll never be satisfied with being "good enough." I NEED to succeed. I NEED to wake up tomorrow knowing that I'm just a little bit better than I was yesterday. That's why I refused to put down a seat deposit at a school below the T6. That was my measuring stick, and I wouldn't have been happy at a T1 school.

And then you die

TeresaPinfold

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2007, 08:27:04 PM »
Well, I need to go to a top law school because I am not sure if I want to go at all, and better law schools have more value to trump opportunity costs. Going to YHS might be better than all my alternatives (working, a different graduate school, becoming a hermit, whatever), but Duke or Virginia likely isn't, in my view. Requirement isn't sufficiency, however - I am still not sure if I would go to ANY law school. Applications are fairly cheap, and the LSAT is enjoyable for me, so there's not a big risk involved with he process, whatever my ultimate decision. I guess I didn't really answer the question of what "type of person", but I suppose the type that shares my attribute of being somewhat ambivalent about law school in general.

i'm not really sure I get this. If you're not sure law school/law is what you want to do, wouldn't it make sense to take less debt? I don't think your non-law options are significantly less coming from UVa versus Yale. But maybe i'm wrong?
Well, if I go to law school, I will definitely practice law. The decision will come before that.

dougiefresh

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2007, 09:24:28 PM »
ilovelaw - why did you edit?  your comment was pretty great with just "and then you die" haha
Air Flare - attending NU in Fall 2007

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2007, 09:45:40 PM »
LOL I reread it and then wanted to add some.  I'll change it back just for you.

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 16, 2007, 10:36:18 AM »
Though I haven't read any of the other answers, I don't think anyone needs to go to a top school, but there are people who will only go to a top school or nothing else. These people are usually broke or very risk adverse and only want to go to law school if they are SURE it will pay off financially - something only top schools can legitimately promise. Also, people who already have good jobs or job offers won't want to leave unless it is for a top school.

If all you desire is to become a lawyer then no person NEEDS to go to a top school.
Penn Law '09

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 17, 2007, 05:27:49 AM »
"need" cannot ever stand alone.  it must always be accompanied with "in order to..."

Yes, it most certainly can. I do not "need" to explain why I feel a certain way. If I feel the "need" to go pee right now, I don't "need" to tell you that is because I just drank a pint of beer. I could, and it would add extra information, but I certainly do not NEED to do so.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 17, 2007, 10:50:48 AM »
"need" cannot ever stand alone.  it must always be accompanied with "in order to..."

Yes, it most certainly can. I do not "need" to explain why I feel a certain way. If I feel the "need" to go pee right now, I don't "need" to tell you that is because I just drank a pint of beer. I could, and it would add extra information, but I certainly do not NEED to do so.

that's funny. last night when i was thinking about responding to that post, I started using a peeing analogy.

law_dawg_07

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 17, 2007, 11:03:10 AM »
I got into a T14 school but I chose not to go.  Price was a determining factor.  $120,000 for tuition vs. $30,000 for a school that was 20 slots away.  Could not justify going into that much debt just for the name (which is pretty much what it boils down to). 
Just accept that fact that I am better than you.