Law School Discussion

Poll

Do you need it?

Guy - I NEED to be in a top school
35 (25.5%)
Guy - It would be nice to be in a top school
41 (29.9%)
Guy - Meh, i just want to be in a school!
10 (7.3%)
Gal - I NEED to be in a top school
24 (17.5%)
Gal - It would be nice to be in a top school
21 (15.3%)
Gal - Meh, i just want to be in a school!
6 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

What type of person NEEDS to go to a Top School?

Re: What type of person NEEDS to go to a Top School?
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2007, 11:38:51 AM »
It depends on the person. Personally, I feel I need to be at a top school because I feel that's both where I belong and what I deserve. I think this is a pretty common feeling in every profession, though.

Honestly, I felt that I definitely needed a top school bc a) that's what i felt belonged b) i went to an ivy ug and ppl usually go upwards in schools, not down.

But how is it possible to go upwards if you're already at the top?  Is going "up" from one Ivy to another that important?  Not trying to be cute or anything, just curious about your train of thought.

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2007, 11:40:06 AM »

It depends on the person. Personally, I feel I need to be at a top school because I feel that's both where I belong and what I deserve. I think this is a pretty common feeling in every profession, though.

Honestly, I felt that I definitely needed a top school bc a) that's what i felt belonged b) i went to an ivy ug and ppl usually go upwards in schools, not down.

But how is it possible to go upwards if you're already at the top?  Is going "up" from one Ivy to another that important?

this is why i try never to be at the very top. There's nowhere to go but dooooooooown.

law of gravity.

:)

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2007, 11:57:08 AM »
I'm just curious as to where the cutoff is for an acceptable "if I don't get in X, then screw it" mentality. HYS is unacceptable; what about t14? t20? Tier 1? Tier 2 or better? At what point can you fall short of your goals, be unhappy about it, and have it be acceptable to the public?

thats one reason i didnt want to put a cut off number in.

>:(

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2007, 12:26:32 PM »
I NEED it to accrue the bank necessary to maintain my Vegas, cook and hookers lifestyle.  And then I'll need it even more to have the resources to hire Johnny to defend me after the inevitable federal indictments.

There's a 95% chance that you will be my new best friend ever soon.

Good.  As long as, and this is an original Buseyism, friend means : Fellowship Resolves Indictment Equitably No Detainment

It blew my mind that friend is a 6 letter word. I read the first 5 things and was like "Whoa, there's more!"

Blame the Germans, but at least we didn't get their noun structure.  Welcome to the Sanfranciscogoldengatebridge!  Ugh.

And to get back on topic: I'm sure there's at least one out there, but is it really much more frequently than as an aberrant exception that someone passes on law school simply because they didn't get in to HYS?

People on this board post about passing on law school because they didn't get into the T14 all the time.

Pass entirely, or wait a year?

And really, I can understand that mentality. Law school is a huge investment; you can't really blame someone for deciding not to spend 150k if they don't think it's worth it.

Yeah, but I don't understand the logic of being happy practicing law making $100K, but not if you're only making $60K. If you're unhappy being an attorney, is that extra $40K really going to make a difference?

It absolutely does. Why would you invest 150k if your salary would be comparable to another job had you invested 0?

Because you want to be a lawyer! Sure, some T14 grads start with 6 figure salaries, but going to law school because you think it'll make you rich is a bad, bad move.

Ersatz

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2007, 02:08:28 PM »
I'm with pookie on this one - before applying, and before even taking the LSAT, I drew the line for myself at T14 schools. There are many people for whom T2-4 schools are fine, and I'm not one to make a blanket statement that if you are not at a T14, you shouldn't be going to law school. Hell, the firm I work for now has many Hastings grads, some people from Boalt, a handful of people from Loyola, and even a couple of people from Golden Gate - that's an incredible mix of tiers that's present at all levels of the firm, from associates to counsel to equity partners. So going to a less-than T14 school clearly does not preclude you from finding gainful employment.

The difference for me is that 1) I'm risk-averse, and don't want to spend 3 years stressing about staying in the top 50%, top 25%, top 10%, or whatever to land a good job, and 2) there are some things that I want to do like clerking that are incredibly more difficult to do from a lower-tier school. There are some people for whom that doesn't matter, so they are content to go to, say, a top-50 school. That's fine.

Also - are there really any people that say Harvard / Yale / Stanford or bust? I can't believe that.

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2007, 02:42:57 PM »

my thoughts exactly.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2007, 02:55:27 PM »
hmmm, wonder if there is any significance where so far, the women feel they need a top school more than the men?

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2007, 03:05:51 PM »
I am actually considering turning down substantial scholarships to T20 schools and reapplying next year with an LSAT retake and an earlier application. I still don't think I could answer the OP's question though.

Did I finish high enough in my graduating class that I expected to attend a T10 school? Yes.
Did I feel that I panicked and underperformed on the LSAT? Yes.
Am I less than 5 years out of college? Yes.
Did my PS stink? Yes.
Am I confused that some T20s would give me huge scholarships even though I've (yet) to be admitted to a T14? Yes.
Is this format getting old? Yes.

I want to clerk, possibly teach, and I think, at the worst, I end up getting accepted and waitlisted at the same batch of schools next year possibly without the scholarships. The financial commitment, as well as the one-time only nature of your education, support some of these feelings. My family and friends might think I'm neurotic or immature, but, hell, I am neurotic and a little immature.

I may not even reapply, but those are the thoughts of someone very close to doing so, with options comparable to the "T14." If I did reapply and didn't get into a T10/T14 school, I'd still go whatever program I liked the most, so, to some extent, it's not a top school or bust thing for me. I want to know that I put forward the best application I could have, gave myself the best shot and right now I don't feel that way.

on another note, our sample size is just a bit too small to be making conclusions with regard to the differing expectations of men as opposed to women.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2007, 03:09:55 PM »
hmmm, wonder if there is any significance where so far, the women feel they need a top school more than the men?

Which route are you going with this? "Women have more to prove than men" or "Women are more irrational than men"? Either way I'm not sure it really means much. Everyone has goals, and it would shock me if the goals of men and women were all that different. Women seek excellence while men seek mediocrity? I doubt it.

Journeyman

• The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2007, 03:10:36 PM »
I'm just curious as to where the cutoff is for an acceptable "if I don't get in X, then screw it" mentality. HYS is unacceptable; what about t14? t20? Tier 1? Tier 2 or better? At what point can you fall short of your goals, be unhappy about it, and have it be acceptable to the public?

That really is personal. For some people, doing your best is IU-B. For some people it's UVa. For others it's CCN. Some people get into Yale without ever having been challenged. It's about personal expectations, not universal ones.

Personal hit?   To be honest there was only one T20 school I wanted to go to from the outset, maybe two.  I don't like being around snobby people all the freaking time, I did that for 3 years.  I'm sure several of you T14'ers aren't but that was the impression I got before I started applying.