Law School Discussion

Poll

Do you need it?

Guy - I NEED to be in a top school
35 (25.5%)
Guy - It would be nice to be in a top school
41 (29.9%)
Guy - Meh, i just want to be in a school!
10 (7.3%)
Gal - I NEED to be in a top school
24 (17.5%)
Gal - It would be nice to be in a top school
21 (15.3%)
Gal - Meh, i just want to be in a school!
6 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

What type of person NEEDS to go to a Top School?

AlphaBusey

• SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
Re: What type of person NEEDS to go to a Top School?
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2007, 10:41:06 AM »
I NEED it to accrue the bank necessary to maintain my Vegas, cook and hookers lifestyle.  And then I'll need it even more to have the resources to hire Johnny to defend me after the inevitable federal indictments.

There's a 95% chance that you will be my new best friend ever soon.

Good.  As long as, and this is an original Buseyism, friend means : Fellowship Resolves Indictment Equitably No Detainment

It blew my mind that friend is a 6 letter word. I read the first 5 things and was like "Whoa, there's more!"

Blame the Germans, but at least we didn't get their noun structure.  Welcome to the Sanfranciscogoldengatebridge!  Ugh.

And to get back on topic: I'm sure there's at least one out there, but is it really much more frequently than as an aberrant exception that someone passes on law school simply because they didn't get in to HYS?

People on this board post about passing on law school because they didn't get into the T14 all the time.

Indeed, which is why I asked specifically about HYS.  Slightly different situation, I think.

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
« Reply #31 on: May 14, 2007, 10:41:23 AM »
well, i must be honest,

if i didn't get into any T14s, i would've retook the lsats and reapplied next year.

why? I'm young and i know that law is going to be my primary career and for various reasons I *need* geographic flexibility. I also have zero contacts/networks since my parents are both teachers from a foreign country and most of my friends are going into i-banking/engineering/consulting/teaching.

However, for many people, that's not true. If law is your second career, you have the networks and know-how to succeed even if you don't go to a T14. awesome! wish I was you, but I dont' have that kind of jumping-off point.

maybe i don't *need* to go to a T14, but for me, it makes the most economic and pratical sense.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #32 on: May 14, 2007, 10:55:03 AM »
I'm just curious as to where the cutoff is for an acceptable "if I don't get in X, then screw it" mentality. HYS is unacceptable; what about t14? t20? Tier 1? Tier 2 or better? At what point can you fall short of your goals, be unhappy about it, and have it be acceptable to the public?

flyaway

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2007, 11:08:34 AM »
For the same reason that some people NEED to be a lawyer, and no other profession will do.

Perhaps I really don't understand the question. Again, it seems like all you're asking is: why do different people have different "needs" (needs is in quotation marks because I doubt they are necessary to sustain life; they're more like goals)?

perhaps i am

like i said, i see some people say if they dont get in, its the end of life.

i jsut cant comprehend that...

People generally try to attain the goals that they set, and get disappointed if they miss.  For some people their goal was a T14, so they will be upset if they don't get in.  Personally, I wonder if some of those people had actually set reasonable goals or not...

For many people though, their goals weren't T14.  There are plenty of people here who are going to be happy at their T1 or T2, but would have been pretty upset if they'd only gotten into a few T4s and nothing else because they would have missed their own goals of a T1 or T2. 

Others had goals such as: I must go to Law School in New Orleans because that's where my SO's job is.  Then they'll be pretty upset if they don't get into Tulane or Loyala. 

As for the people you're thinking about, they probably are so distraught because they've built the T14 up so high and mighty in their minds, and have been focusing on those schools for years, trying to craft their resume and GPA just so, that it can be especially disturbing to break down such a built up goal.  For me, I applied to law school on a whim with only a few months of prep.  Others have been focused on this for years. 

Think of the gymnast who wakes up at 4am every morning to practice before school for years and years.  She's doing great, working hard, rumored to be one of the best.  Her goal is to compete in the Olympics, and it's actually getting close enough to taste.  Then the day before the Olympic trials she breaks her leg and can't compete.  Now she has to sit out the trials, and of course the Olympics.  Sure, she can heal and compete in nationals and whatnot for the next 4 years, but it's not the same.  And in the world of Olympic gymnasts, she's probably be too old and gangly to have a decent shot at the next trials.  Maybe she will, but that still means putting her dreams on hold for 4 more years.  She definitely has a right to be upset. 

I love you very much for using a gymnast example.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2007, 11:09:24 AM »
I'm just curious as to where the cutoff is for an acceptable "if I don't get in X, then screw it" mentality. HYS is unacceptable; what about t14? t20? Tier 1? Tier 2 or better? At what point can you fall short of your goals, be unhappy about it, and have it be acceptable to the public?

That really is personal. For some people, doing your best is IU-B. For some people it's UVa. For others it's CCN. Some people get into Yale without ever having been challenged. It's about personal expectations, not universal ones.

Well, that's sort of the point, since this thread is devoted to the idea that certain mentalities are unacceptable. I've always been a defender of people who were unsatisfied with 175's. Hell, if Tiger Woods is allowed to be unhappy with 2nd place, why can't the rest of us?

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2007, 11:17:32 AM »
I NEED it to accrue the bank necessary to maintain my Vegas, cook and hookers lifestyle.  And then I'll need it even more to have the resources to hire Johnny to defend me after the inevitable federal indictments.

Good.  As long as, and this is an original Buseyism, friend means : Fellowship Resolves Indictment Equitably No Detainment

It blew my mind that friend is a 6 letter word. I read the first 5 things and was like "Whoa, there's more!"

Blame the Germans, but at least we didn't get their noun structure.  Welcome to the Sanfranciscogoldengatebridge!  Ugh.

And to get back on topic: I'm sure there's at least one out there, but is it really much more frequently than as an aberrant exception that someone passes on law school simply because they didn't get in to HYS?

People on this board post about passing on law school because they didn't get into the T14 all the time.

Pass entirely, or wait a year?

And really, I can understand that mentality. Law school is a huge investment; you can't really blame someone for deciding not to spend 150k if they don't think it's worth it.

Yeah, but I don't understand the logic of being happy practicing law making $100K, but not if you're only making $60K. If you're unhappy being an attorney, is that extra $40K really going to make a difference?

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2007, 11:22:58 AM »

And really, I can understand that mentality. Law school is a huge investment; you can't really blame someone for deciding not to spend 150k if they don't think it's worth it.

Yeah, but I don't understand the logic of being happy practicing law making $100K, but not if you're only making $60K. If you're unhappy being an attorney, is that extra $40K really going to make a difference?

It absolutely does. Why would you invest 150k if your salary would be comparable to another job had you invested 0?

« Reply #37 on: May 14, 2007, 11:23:28 AM »
just curious

some people need a BMW, for others a honda is fine.

I dont buy into the prestige thing, thats why Im curious.

To continue your car analogy, for a lot of people, the BMW isn't for themselves; it's to impress the ladies. In this analogy, the ladies are the hiring partners.

Of course, there are some people who want a Beemer because it's a Beemer (though you can and should do much better if that's your rationale). In that case, it's simply an acheivement in life, and there's nothing wrong with high aspirations.

But if you get a lady just because she likes your Beemer, then she is a gold-digging wh0re.  Good luck with that.   ;D

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2007, 11:31:19 AM »
Not me.  I turned down top 25 schools to go to a T2. I did feel pressured by the internet message community to attend a top school, which is the only reason I had submitted some of those applications at all. But in the end, I realized that I just don't need to go to one.  It would be nice, but it would rather have the money in my pocket when I'm a young attorney with a young family as well as the opportunity to take a position at a firm with a better QOL than biglaw. 

ptown

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2007, 11:33:30 AM »

It absolutely does. Why would you invest 150k if your salary would be comparable to another job had you invested 0?

How can you be certain that they could have made 60k before?  Most people with a bachelors arn't doing that a few years out.  If they are, they won't have very far to grow.

Also, what if that other job totally sucks ass?