Law School Discussion

Poll

Do you need it?

Guy - I NEED to be in a top school
35 (25.5%)
Guy - It would be nice to be in a top school
41 (29.9%)
Guy - Meh, i just want to be in a school!
10 (7.3%)
Gal - I NEED to be in a top school
24 (17.5%)
Gal - It would be nice to be in a top school
21 (15.3%)
Gal - Meh, i just want to be in a school!
6 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

What type of person NEEDS to go to a Top School?

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
Re: What type of person NEEDS to go to a Top School?
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2007, 10:08:33 AM »
I NEED it to accrue the bank necessary to maintain my Vegas, cook and hookers lifestyle.  And then I'll need it even more to have the resources to hire Johnny to defend me after the inevitable federal indictments.

There's a 95% chance that you will be my new best friend ever soon.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2007, 10:11:09 AM »
Perhaps the profession analogy isn't perfect, but I believe a sports analogy is somewhat better: most professional athletes will tell you that a season that doesn't end in a championship is a failure, playoffs or no. I think the Macho Man is right: generally, the kinds of people going to law school are highly competitive people, and the kinds of people that *need* to go to top schools are even more competitive.

AlphaBusey

• SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2007, 10:12:55 AM »
I NEED it to accrue the bank necessary to maintain my Vegas, cook and hookers lifestyle.  And then I'll need it even more to have the resources to hire Johnny to defend me after the inevitable federal indictments.

Good.  As long as, and this is an original Buseyism, friend means : Fellowship Resolves Indictment Equitably No Detainment

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 14, 2007, 10:18:39 AM »

Good.  As long as, and this is an original Buseyism, friend means : Fellowship Resolves Indictment Equitably No Detainment

It blew my mind that friend is a 6 letter word. I read the first 5 things and was like "Whoa, there's more!"

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2007, 10:19:59 AM »
Again, Blue wants to focus on the phenomenon of certain people in which anything less than HYS is unacceptable and not worth attending. I don't think there's any argument that going to a top school is more often than not better.

ptown

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2007, 10:31:19 AM »
Going to a "top school" only makes sense.  People are always trying to attain the best possible in everything in life.  

For me, I feel like I've worked hard to get into this position and that I owe it to myself to attend a top school.  The types of jobs available to graduates of top schools seem to be superior to job prospects from "lower ranked" schools, and the pay seems to be better.  Basically, I like the idea of knowing that I'm not going to have any problem paying back my school loans after I graduate.  Also, I got a MUCH different feeling when visiting the "top" schools than I did visiting T2s and lower ranked T1s.  Im not an elitist by any means but I'd have to say that attending a top 15 law school presents different/better opportunities and experiences than lower ranked schools.  It would seem silly to attend anything other than the best that you can get into (I dont mean to differentiate between a few ranking spots, of course).

This is the same reason that I'd marry the hot guy with killer abs, a great personality, and a killer wit before I married the slob with a foot odor problem.

I don't think that is the question he is asking though.  If you didn't get into a top school would you not go at all?  That is his point (I think).

It isn't silly to not go to the best school you get into in every situation.  Some people arn't interested in moving across the country to go to a better school.  Personally, I passed up some higher ranked options for one that would keep me closer to my wife and would leave me with less debt.

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2007, 10:35:55 AM »
This is the same reason that I'd marry the hot guy with killer abs, a great personality, and a killer wit before I married the slob with a foot odor problem.

So going to a T2 = marrying a slob wit a foot odor?  ???

AlphaBusey

• SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2007, 10:36:17 AM »

It blew my mind that friend is a 6 letter word. I read the first 5 things and was like "Whoa, there's more!"

Blame the Germans, but at least we didn't get their noun structure.  Welcome to the Sanfranciscogoldengatebridge!  Ugh.

And to get back on topic: I'm sure there's at least one out there, but is it really much more frequently than as an aberrant exception that someone passes on law school simply because they didn't get in to HYS?

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2007, 10:37:55 AM »

Blame the Germans, but at least we didn't get their noun structure.  Welcome to the Sanfranciscogoldengatebridge!  Ugh.

And to get back on topic: I'm sure there's at least one out there, but is it really much more frequently than as an aberrant exception that someone passes on law school simply because they didn't get in to HYS?

People on this board post about passing on law school because they didn't get into the T14 all the time.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2007, 10:39:30 AM »

People on this board post about passing on law school because they didn't get into the T14 all the time.

Pass entirely, or wait a year?

And really, I can understand that mentality. Law school is a huge investment; you can't really blame someone for deciding not to spend 150k if they don't think it's worth it.