Law School Discussion

Poll

Do you need it?

Guy - I NEED to be in a top school
35 (25.5%)
Guy - It would be nice to be in a top school
41 (29.9%)
Guy - Meh, i just want to be in a school!
10 (7.3%)
Gal - I NEED to be in a top school
24 (17.5%)
Gal - It would be nice to be in a top school
21 (15.3%)
Gal - Meh, i just want to be in a school!
6 (4.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

What type of person NEEDS to go to a Top School?

Re: What type of person NEEDS to go to a Top School?
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2007, 09:54:04 AM »
It depends on the person. Personally, I feel I need to be at a top school because I feel that's both where I belong and what I deserve. I think this is a pretty common feeling in every profession, though.

Honestly, I felt that I definitely needed a top school bc a) that's what i felt belonged b) i went to an ivy ug and ppl usually go upwards in schools, not down.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2007, 09:54:15 AM »
Blue, it seems to me that the question you are asking is: if something is both necessary and sufficient to acheive a certain goal, why would one feel the "need" to go above and beyond that? Really, it seems what you're asking is: why do people have different wants and goals?

You use the BMW vs. Honda analogy, but why not use this one:

some people need to be lawyers, for others being a janitor is fine.

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2007, 09:55:48 AM »
i think people are overlooking the NEEDS portion

for some, its all or nothing.

I dont get into harvard, no other school will do.

end of story.

and there are some people on the board that have this attitude, and im curious why....

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2007, 09:58:25 AM »
For the same reason that some people NEED to be a lawyer, and no other profession will do.

Perhaps I really don't understand the question. Again, it seems like all you're asking is: why do different people have different "needs" (needs is in quotation marks because I doubt they are necessary to sustain life; they're more like goals)?

->Soon

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 10:02:22 AM »
For the same reason that some people NEED to be a lawyer, and no other profession will do.

Perhaps I really don't understand the question. Again, it seems like all you're asking is: why do different people have different "needs" (needs is in quotation marks because I doubt they are necessary to sustain life; they're more like goals)?

perhaps i am

like i said, i see some people say if they dont get in, its the end of life.

i jsut cant comprehend that...

The Pookie

• the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 10:02:54 AM »
well i wanted to go to a top 14 becuase they have amazing job opporunties and i wanted geographic flexibility

its really as simple as that, at least for me. Also, any top 14 was fine with me or any national law school.

ptown

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 10:04:22 AM »

I think what he is getting at is what is the motivation behind the all or nothing mentality.  I can't quite say the profession analogy works there, as I don't think I've ever heard of someone saying that if they can't do a specific job, they they would rather be unemployed or perhaps die.

I think to answer the question as he is asking it, you need to assume that everyone going to ls really wants to be a lawyer.  I definately don't find that to be true, however.

Journeyman

• The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 10:04:27 AM »
People NEED to go to a certain level of school because they have expectations for themselves. Judging from the type of people who go into law, we're born competitors. Even if we're only competing against ourselves, we're the kind of people who NEED to run 4 miles in 25 minutes when we jog, who NEED to make dean's list in the 8th semester, long after we've been accepted to our dream school, who NEED to go to a certain level of grad school. Some people can be happy with being mediocre (however you personally measure that), but I'll never be satisfied with good enough. I NEED to succeed. I NEED to wake up tomorrow knowing that I'm just a little bit better than I was yesterday.

This sounds like a reasonable rationale to me.  I personally wasn't a T14 or nothing person, but I'll admit that I passed up 2 full tuition scholarships, because I feel like I deserved a top 50 school, even if it meant taking on a crap load of debt.

AlphaBusey

• SOBER:Son Of a B*tch, Everything's Real!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 10:04:36 AM »
I NEED it to accrue the bank necessary to maintain my Vegas, coke and hookers lifestyle.  And then I'll need it even more to have the resources to hire Johnny to defend me after the inevitable federal indictments.

skeeball

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2007, 10:06:05 AM »
It depends on the person. Personally, I feel I need to be at a top school because I feel that's both where I belong and what I deserve. I think this is a pretty common feeling in every profession, though.

ppl usually go upwards in schools, not down.

I'm doing this.

I think you *need* to go to a top school if you have a spouse and need to stay in the area, and a T14 is the only school in town.