Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: law student, just got done with 1L, taking questions  (Read 5433 times)

bros

• yay!
    • View Profile
law student, just got done with 1L, taking questions
« on: May 13, 2007, 11:59:29 PM »
shoot

euphory

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: law student, just got done with 1L, taking questions
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 02:22:50 AM »
what's a typical week day for you?
what's a typical weekend for you?
 :) ;) :D ;D

kirkcameronsgf

• Sr. Citizen
  • Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 11:17:53 AM »
Can I have your outlines?  :D

hotshot

• View Profile
    • Email
1 question
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2007, 11:35:49 AM »
A lot of people have told me that the best thing to do is treat law school like a 9 to 5 job. However, I find that hard to believe. You have class from 9-11. Study until 1 o'clock. Class from 2-3:15. Then continue studying in the library after your class until 5:30. Can you really finish your reading, any assignments you have for LRW, and brief all your cases in that time period? Feedback would be appreciated! How much time should I anticipate studying from Monday-Friday after I get out of class?

bros

• yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 11:37:26 AM »
Can I have your outlines?  :D

you probably wouldnt want them

Vick

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 11:38:44 AM »
Where do you go to school?  Ranking range would be fine.

Johnny Stuffs His Mouth

• LSD Obsessed
  • 1/2 of the Golden Couple
    • View Profile
    • http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2007, 11:40:11 AM »
I've heard from a few sources that when it comes to studying, the best approach to take is: Study for finals, not for class. Thoughts?
I'll join the cool crowd: 3.23/173
Blinded by the light (Attending): UVA!!! Wahoo 2010!!!
Wrapped up like a feminine hygiene product (Accepted): UVA!! Fordham, Georgetown!!! NYU!!!!!!!!!
Another odor in the night (Rejected): Harvard
Let's go LSAT score! http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=johnkorean

bros

• yay!
    • View Profile
Re: 1 question
« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2007, 11:40:35 AM »
A lot of people have told me that the best thing to do is treat law school like a 9 to 5 job. However, I find that hard to believe. You have class from 9-11. Study until 1 o'clock. Class from 2-3:15. Then continue studying in the library after your class until 5:30. Can you really finish your reading, any assignments you have for LRW, and brief all your cases in that time period? Feedback would be appreciated! How much time should I anticipate studying from Monday-Friday after I get out of class?

the best thing to do is treat law school like a job, period. just like in your working life, 9-5 is pretty much the minimum amount of time you're going to be working. When there are big projects going on or special assignments (LRW briefs, research projects, moot court competitions, etc), you'll be spending another 20-30 hours per week on top of that 40. If all you're doing is reading for class and briefing assigned cases, you could certainly do that in the time frames you describe. however, you should be using time from the beginning of the semester outlining. Of course, at the beginning of your first semester, you dont really know how to outline, but you get my point.

bros

• yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 11:44:53 AM »
Where do you go to school?  Ranking range would be fine.

i go to a school ranked 36th i believe

bros

• yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 11:46:48 AM »
I've heard from a few sources that when it comes to studying, the best approach to take is: Study for finals, not for class. Thoughts?

it really depends on each professor. for example, my torts prof was VERY socratic. if you werent prepared for class, he'd pin you to the wall and make you feel like a complete idiot. others were much more forgiving. for the sake of your own stress levels, you better prepare for classes like that. it's also the best way to internalize the material. but yes, the advice you got is typically right. when it comes down to it, the exam is what matters, and the best way to prepare for those is commercial outlines, emanual flash cards, and hornbooks.