Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Loans that go directly to you (not the school) AND you pay after you graduate  (Read 2339 times)

alphadog24

• Sr. Citizen
  • Kage Bunshin No Jutsu
    • View Profile
I had a problem where the cost of attendance at my school was not meeting my needs. They will not let you take out loans through their lenders that exceed the cost of attendance. For anyone that is interested, I have found a private lender that will allow you to receive the money directly and pay it off after graduation like a regular educational loan. Hope this helps other people in similar situations:

http://www.chasestudentloans.com/student-loans/private-education.html
Emory Law 2010

smack

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
I recently applied for a private loan from Chase.  I jumped through all of the hoops, sent in the forms, and received an e-mail this morning stating that my loan was denied.  I called and they told me that the school was not on their list of "approved schools."  I called the school and they told me that they do not "allow" students to take private loans because they know the students take more than the cost of tuition.  Very frustrating, because I am a single mother and the COA is low at my school. Hope this is not the case for you Alphadog.

knicksfan0323

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Can you get these right away??? I am moving to the city where I will be attending law school & am in a bit of a money crunch...I only need like 1000-2000 for moving expenses, but I would need the $$ by July. Anyone know??

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sorry northernstar, I dont know the answer to your question.  Maybe just try applying for the loan?

Just to clarify...I could get my federal/stafford & grad plus loans from one company, and then if I need more I can apply for this type of loan and the school wont know that I have more money then the lousy 13k they think I should live on for the year?  Here's other ones, anyone used them?

http://www.astutestudentloans.com/?ID=finaid-1f

http://www.thinkfinancial.com/
University of Toledo 0L

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Just one complaint about these loans...I'm moving very soon so I'm already left my job here.  For these loans you must have have proof of current income, and now I dont have any.  Doesnt really make sense to me...if the applicant has good credit (and I still meet their 2-year employment history rule) why does it matter if I have income right now - this loan wont be paid back until after I graduate anyway!  So annoying.
University of Toledo 0L

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Unfortunately, I don't have anyone who could co-sign for me.  Luckily I'm going PT so I can work, I just didn't want the pressure of needing to rely on a job (like if I cant find one when I move there I'll be freaking out instead of concentrating on my first couple of months of school). 
University of Toledo 0L

Sweetpri

• Sr. Citizen
  • I hope I like Ohio!
    • View Profile
    • Email
Thank you, good luck to you too!  I wouldnt have problems if the budget wasnt $13k!  I dont want to eat ramen noodles everyday...  >:(
University of Toledo 0L

JM26

• View Profile

Just did it w/a cosigner and I had a 4.5% interest rate. Takes ab 2 weeks to get your $$$.

JM26

• View Profile

Oops. Sorry its 5.4% -got the # mixed up. Original fee is 6%