70 Taliban killed in fresh offensivePublished: Sunday, 13 May, 2007, 09:04 AM Doha Time
KABUL: Afghan security forces and international troops have killed 70 Taliban rebels in a week-long push to drive the militants from a southern district, an intelligence department statement said yesterday.
Dozens of Afghan soldiers supported by Nato-led military forces launched the hunt last Saturday in Nari Saraj district of insurgency-hit southern Helmand province, the statement said.
Up to 70 rebels including five militant commanders were killed and more than 30 others were injured, it said.
Taliban militants “are now cleared” from the area, the statement said. It did not say when the district was overrun by the rebels.
Nato-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) headquarters in Kabul was not immediately able to confirm the statement.
The rebels have seized several districts where policing is thin over the past year but have in most cases been driven out within days or weeks, often with heavy militant casualties.
However, up to 30 civilians were killed when US-led warplanes bombed Sangin district some 25km from Nari Saraj earlier this week, according to Afghan officials. - AFP