Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How many pages can you read in an hour?  (Read 2602 times)

fem

• View Profile
How many pages can you read in an hour?
« on: May 13, 2007, 12:45:35 AM »

I'm just being silly to post this.
As a non-native English speaker, my reading speed is quite slower than native speakers'. I'm curious how much I'm slower than others though.
So, provided that we're talking about regular textbook of your undergrad major for example, how many pages can you read in an hour?  ;D Thoughts please!

m1

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: How many pages can you read in an hour?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 02:22:01 AM »
Depends on the subject matter.  If its an economics or other technical subject textbook, it takes me far longer than a history textbook for example.  I think a better standard is a novel that doesn't require any thought (thus giving your max pages per hour).  I can read a little less than one hundred pages of a James Patterson (or equivalent) novel in an hour rather easily

nealric

• Global Moderator
  • Sr. Citizen
  • a.k.a. Miguel Sanchez
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 02:25:24 AM »
Impossible to accurately say

There is no "regular textbook" to compare. I had books that had 500 words per page. I had others that seemed like they had 2000.

There is also the x-factor of how closely people are reading and what the content is. I would sometimes read philosophy as slowly as 5 pages per hour. I would sometimes read light novels at over 100.

If you are trying to get an eye for how fast a reader you are, why don't you post a passage from what you consider an average text? have people time how long it took them to get through it at their normal rate.

Problem with that is it will become a bragging contest and you may not get true to life values.
Georgetown Law Graduate

Chief justice Earl Warren wasn't a stripper!
Now who's being naive?

Ersatz

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 02:47:23 AM »
Better yet, read a couple of the LSAT RC passages and time yourself. I think that although they can vary substantially in difficulty of content, the average per passage time should be around 4 minutes, give or take. Average yours out and see what you come up with.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 04:23:56 AM »
It's been a long time since I was an undergrad, and I don't think I read much then so that's not a helpful measure.

Expect law school reading to be slower, especially at the start while you're learning to read cases. You'll learn to read for the rules, the holding, the procedural posture, the facts, the parties, etc. (And probably in a better order than I just presented them, since the holding is usually last, facts first, etc., etc.) Some cases are also more densely written than others. You could spend a lot of time on one sentence, trying to unpack all of its meaning.

So, don't be surprised if law school reading is slow going (regardless of your native language). As you practice, it probably will get faster.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 07:17:22 AM »
As a fellow non-native speaker, I wonder if your undergrad textbooks where in English? Mine were, and it didn't take long to get my reading speed up to about the same as my native language. Every now and then you'll stumble upon some complex language it may take a moment to figure out or look up, but in general I wouldn't worry too much about reading speed if you're used to reading academic English from ugrad.

fem

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 09:01:54 AM »

Thanks, guys.
Yeah, a "regular textbook" might be too ambiguous to be a standard. I'm not looking for concrete numbers though..so answers you've posted so far are helpful enough. (and KeNo, no, my undergrad textbooks were not written in English.)

I guess I'm just a bit worried about it as a soon-to-be-1L. We all know we're going to read a looooooooot of cases and other materials.
When reading a LSAT passage, I didn't have enough time to finish all 4 passages. (I've noticed quite a few American have spare time in RC but need more time in LG. In my case it is the opposite.) I could finish 4 passages when the specific RC section was comparably easy...
Hm, when the law school starts, I'll probably go through some hard time at first, then hopefully get used to it. Fingers crossed!

SugarJ

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 12:27:35 PM »
Does anyone know how many pages an hour law students read/highlight materials? I've heard 15-20 pages an hour, which is usually the amount given per class. I've also heard your first semester it's much longer (15 pages in 2 hours) and then later on it's much faster (15 pages in 45 mins).

As for the OP's Q, of course it depends. Most materials I read about a page a minute. If I'm really into it or it's difficult or long, I'm around a page every 3 minutes. Skimming takes less than a minute per page.
Cornell Class of 2011 (deferring for a year!)

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=30secondstolaw

UChi2L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 12:52:23 PM »
Does anyone know how many pages an hour law students read/highlight materials? I've heard 15-20 pages an hour, which is usually the amount given per class. I've also heard your first semester it's much longer (15 pages in 2 hours) and then later on it's much faster (15 pages in 45 mins).

As for the OP's Q, of course it depends. Most materials I read about a page a minute. If I'm really into it or it's difficult or long, I'm around a page every 3 minutes. Skimming takes less than a minute per page.

My con law reading 2L year took me 6-10 minutes a page, so a 35-page assignment would take 8-12 hours if I wrote detailed case-briefs and took good notes.

Now I can read carefully at about 40 pages every 1.5-2 hours, but that's only if I've sat through a class on the material first.

My best advice for moving quickly through reading is not to outline in a bunch of different colors; use a ballpoint pen and make notes in the margins; I do an "R" with a square around it to ID a rule, a "C" to ID a conclusion of the court; an "H" to ID the holding, etc., I also write internally cited case names in the margins to make them easier to spot.

[Edit: for reference, I read Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying" (thoroughly and carefully) in about 10 hours over spring break]
I have to believe in a world outside my own mind. I have to believe that my actions still have meaning, even if I can't remember them. I have to believe that when my eyes are closed, the world's still there. Do I believe the world's still there? Is it still out there?... Yeah.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 03:31:34 PM »
I'm big on the notes in the margins, also. (Highlighting drives me nuts.) I also tend to note party names; and summarize stuff when it's really dense. Sometimes I'd read through once to get the idea, and then make the notes the second time through.

Starting off, though, I wrote out the briefs longhand, and I think that really helped me "get it."

Most cases in case books won't be long; generally they're edited to highlight specific points.