Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: How poorly is a fourth LSAT looked at?  (Read 1630 times)

NewHere

• View Profile
Re: How poorly is a fourth LSAT looked at?
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 09:06:54 AM »
Mine have all been relatively very recent (thanks to an exception from the LSAC)

I missed this the first time around. I suppose you must indeed have a good reason then. (Still curious what it is though.)

carlylerun

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 12:17:41 PM »
Thanks for all the advice. I'm not going to disclose the reason on a discussion board, only to say that law schools I have spoken to have been pretty to very receptive in general about this. As much as I hate to wait a year, it's not the end of the world but I still worry of course that I'm making the right decision.

Ravynous Elegance

• Sr. Citizen
  • aw the baby bunt! too bad he got big.
    • View Profile
Re: Ravynous Elegance
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 08:25:46 PM »
Hi Ravynous Elegance,
Congrats for Vandy.  Why did you withdraw your applications to U Chicago and American?

Because I wasnt going to go, and American was taking forever. Plus, I didnt really want to go...
Vanderbilt University School of Law 2010

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 10:00:52 PM »
Isn't taking the LSAT even three times looked down upon?
People mess up once and 2nd time around one should do realize his mistakes and grow from them.

Ilovecheese

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2007, 11:07:34 AM »
Just read of Deloggio's site that even a third great score is usually looked at as a fluke and th scores might be averaged.
Here is the link, scroll down to Retake policies: http://www.deloggio.com/academic/whatlsat.htm

Although, it is just one site, I do believe that the info is correct. Messing up the 1st time should teach a person his or her weaknesses and develop on that, if a person doesn't do well 2nd time around that just shows that he is a slacker or maybe lacks the native intelligence necessary to do great on the test.

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 11:17:55 AM »
Messing up the 1st time should teach a person his or her weaknesses and develop on that, if a person doesn't do well 2nd time around that just shows that he is a slacker or maybe lacks the native intelligence necessary to do great on the test.

Pretty heavy-handed with generalizations, aren't you?   :D

My 3rd score was 10 points higher than the first two, and none of my schools viewed it as a fluke.  Fortunately, law schools don't jump to conclusions as easily as you.
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 11:29:06 AM »
Messing up the 1st time should teach a person his or her weaknesses and develop on that, if a person doesn't do well 2nd time around that just shows that he is a slacker or maybe lacks the native intelligence necessary to do great on the test.

Pretty heavy-handed with generalizations, aren't you?   :D

My 3rd score was 10 points higher than the first two, and none of my schools viewed it as a fluke.  Fortunately, law schools don't jump to conclusions as easily as you.

Well, I'm sure your MBA, work experience, international status, super GPA, etc etc etc had a little something to do with off-setting your multiple lsats.....

sladkaya

• Sr. Citizen
  • Not born in Texas, but got here as soon as I could
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2007, 11:44:02 AM »
Well, I'm sure your MBA, work experience, international status, super GPA, etc etc etc had a little something to do with off-setting your multiple lsats.....

It's possible.  I just wanted to show Ilovecheese that making overly broad assumptions re: someone's work ethic and intelligence based on the number of times they've taken the LSAT is a dangerous exercise, especially for a future lawyer.
Accepted: Michigan($$), Northwestern($$$), Vanderbilt($$$), UCLA($$), UT($$$), WUSTL($$$), UIUC($$$$), Notre Dame($$),

Attending: TEXAS !!!

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=sladkaya

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2007, 11:59:17 AM »
It will probably depend a lot on what the rest of the applicant pool looks like. If your 4th score is well above the medians, you'll probably be fine...but if it's in the mushy middle around the medians, they might prefer someone who got the same score on their first try.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2007, 08:41:12 AM »
Even more so if you're URM I'd say. If they can fill up their "URM quotas" with candidates that won't lower their LSAT ranking on USNWR, they'll certainly do so.