Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: All quiet on the Harvard Front  (Read 1923 times)

ouchitburns

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
All quiet on the Harvard Front
« on: May 11, 2007, 08:11:18 PM »
Has anyone still not heard ANYTHING from Harvard. No rejection, waitlist, acceptance nor deferral for me. Should I phone or are there others like me?

katluva33

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: All quiet on the Harvard Front
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 08:14:20 PM »
there was a poster on another board that has the same complete date.  S/he called the office and was told that no decision had been made, but one was expected soon.  I think the late complete date may remove the usual 8 weeks time frame they try to adhere to.
It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It's not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you know, the dark dungeons of the Internet.

I mean, there needs to be a wholesale effort against racial profiling, which is illiterate children

George Bush

ArthurKing

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 08:22:06 PM »
I know of one other, see http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=hatemyjob

I'm of two minds on this.

On the one hand, it might be a VERY GOOD THING that you are still alive and kicking this late in the cycle. You survived 'late cycle applicants' reject rounds in April; you survived the subsequent waitlist round in late April. They sure aren't going to send you a deferal in the middle of May - wouldn't that be comical. It seems to me that you might be in line for an acceptance; perhaps even being evaluated with the first round of their 'most desirable' waitlist candidates.

On the other hand, I also am thinking: with each day that you don't hear anything, I think the possibility that something got f'ed up with your application - that it got lost, misplaced, accidentally marked as 'decided' when it wasn't, etc. seems more and more likely. Something is very odd with not having heard anything past May 1st. You truly are an outlier.

In either of the above cases, however, my advice is the same: I think you should really give the admissions office a call. At this point, it's not like they're going to use your calling up as an excuse to reject you or something absurd like that. You're not on a waitlist: It's mid-May and you are either in or out - you just don't know either way! And, there seems to be a decent chance that your getting in touch with them might spur them on to figure out what happened with your application if anything DID get screwed up. So I would call. But that's just my $.02 See what others here think

... that was a lot of words. Executive summary: Could be good. Could be bad. You need to call.  ;D

NewHere

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 06:56:04 AM »
Hi, I think I may be the poster on the other board katluva was referring to: I went complete on March 8 and called Harvard earlier this week. They said they hadn't made a decision yet, but a decision was expected 'very soon'.

However, as much as I would like to believe ArthurKing, at this point I've lost all hope: they accepted a whole bunch of applicants off the waitlist yesterday, so at this point even a place on the waitlist is practically worthless.

I take it you didn't receive a phone interview? (I didn't.) It's hard to see that as a positive sign. If they were really interested in admitting us, we would have been called for an interview. 

queenslifesci

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2007, 01:53:54 PM »
I'm in the same situation. Complete March 8th and haven't heard a peep. Don't really know if it's a good thing or a bad thing but I suppose we will find out soon enough.

edit: Maybe I'm just trying to be optimistic, well I am, but perhaps when they said they were still making the decision this meant they were deciding whether or not to call you. I would think at this point a phone call is just about as good as an admittance. So maybe once they make their decision you will receive a phone call e-mail.

NewHere

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 07:18:39 PM »
I appreciate your optimism, queenslifesci, but I doubt that that is the case. What he said was, paraphrased, "We send out most decisions within eight weeks. I see for you that period has just barely passed, so in your case it is going to be a bit longer than the average. But a decision on your file is going to be made very soon." I suppose the same might be the case for you, queens and ouch. I called on Wednesday, so it could be "very soon" meant at the end of last week (and I'm about seven mail days away from the US.) By the way, for those who consider calling, the representative I spoke to did sound a bit irritated.

Granted, they could have rejected us long ago, but on the other side, if they really wanted to admit us, they could have done so already.

Anyhow, good luck to both of you, queenslifesci and ouchitburns.

Arthur: there are several people who went complete on March 8th or March 15th whose applications are still pending:
http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/search_schools.php?action=search&cycle=4&school_code=0008&sort=complete&order=d&application_type=0

hatemyjob

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 10:35:57 AM »
If it makes anyone feel any better (which it probably won't) I should only be one postal day away and I have not received a waitlist/reject from Harvard.  I don't believe they sent anything to me last week.

alexareko

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 08:21:17 PM »
I'm in the exact same boat - complete in early feb and nothing.  I sent them an LOCI and whatnot, but didn't call them.

I like to think that my application is up on a joke wall by the water cooler or something.  Oh Hahvahd even when you laugh at me I love you.

ShaneFloppier

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2007, 01:19:02 PM »
I went complete March 8 and called on Friday regarding my app.  I was told that all decisions should be made in the next two weeks.  I don't think we can read anything into our delay.  I think I am a LONG shot, so I can't think its good to not hear anything yet, but I doubt its bad, since they could have bumped us awhile ago.

NewHere

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2007, 04:16:44 PM »
I don't know whether to laugh or to cry about this guy's story:

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=Housefly

Do you think it's real?