Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gunners....  (Read 7639 times)

Nimmy

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Gunners....
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2007, 04:41:13 AM »
I'm confident I'll do just fine.  I dislike people trying to tell me how smart they are by explaining how they understand the judicial line of reasoning better than everyone else.  You don't like abortion, I get it.

Miranda has nothing to do with abortion, it is a case that has some controversy around it and established "rights" with a Supreme Court decision.  Since you are so much smarter than everybody else, I was hoping you could enlighten all of us to what the correct ruling of this case would have been as well.

No, you don't get it.  You know nothing about my stand on abortion.  All you know is my generalized take on Griswold.  My *very* brief take on Griswold =/= my take on abortion.  I haven't even told you what I thought about roe v. wade, how could you possibly think I've come close to 'giving you my take' on abortion?   

As to Miranda - I know miranda like the back of my hand - I was more trying to imply that you know nothing about it.  I didn't do a good job of this and I'm sorry about that.  I could ask you some questions to prove this fact, but that's not what I was trying to get at.   

It's really impossible to have a discussion with you on these things because you don't know anything about these topics.  This is okay, I didn't either going into 1L.  The difference between you and me is that I didn't act like I had any clue what I was talking about as a 0L or during most of 1L, save the end of the semesters. 

You're probably overcompensating for the fear of the unknown by tricking yourself into believing that you know something more than the rest of the 0L's running around this site.  News flash - you don't.  This is fine - it's natural to be a bit scared going into 1L - I sure as heck know I was.  What will hurt you, however, is not being honest with yourself.  You have no idea about any of the topics you spoke so confidently about in your posts - I know it, you know it, and anyone who has been to law school and read each of our posts knows it.  This is how it should be - I just got through 1L, you haven't started law school yet.  This is the proper order of things.  Where problems come in is when you develop a sense of overconfidence as a security blanket to hide the fact that you are scared (academically) for the first time in your life.   Don't let this happen.

While we have been going back and forth, I feel like I've gotten a chance to understand your personality just a little bit.  I want to see you succeed - I was similarly insecure as you, however I compensated in different ways.  My advice to you - consciously try to keep an open mind during your first year.  I feel like this will be one of your biggest problems.  You seem very quick to group people into camps - i.e. "You people who think you know more than the professors" or "you people who think you know it all."  You are using improper logic here, and this will hamper you if nothing else related to this philosophy does.  I don't know how to fully articulate what I'm trying to say here, but basically just keep an open mind, as I feel like this will be (and is now) difficult for you.  I'm not being smug here either - I don't want you to look back next year and say "ohhhhhh THAT was what he was talking about!"  I want you to get this now.  Please feel free to PM me if you choose, as I think this has gotten too individualized for this thread.

No, you really haven't, and this is hardly a back and forth.  I'm saying "I don't care what you have to say" and you come back with 2 pages totally confirming that you are a gunner feminine hygiene product.  I don't want to hear your opinion on Griswold, or Miranda, or anything else and no one asked for it.  The fact that you offered it without solicitation in a thread about gunners is one of the most ironic things I have seen on this board.

Helpful Chap

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2007, 02:08:11 PM »
No, you really haven't, and this is hardly a back and forth.  I'm saying "I don't care what you have to say" and you come back with 2 pages totally confirming that you are a gunner feminine hygiene product.  I don't want to hear your opinion on Griswold, or Miranda, or anything else and no one asked for it.  The fact that you offered it without solicitation in a thread about gunners is one of the most ironic things I have seen on this board.

You don't seem like a particularly nice person, so I am done trying to help you.  Enjoy making fun of those gunner-folk in a few months.  You know, the ones who have opinions on cases and dare to question judicial reasoning. 

Since you don't want to hear the truth, I'll tell you what you want to hear: I'm sure you'll make a ton of friends while getting great grades in law school in a few months!  Your attitude is definitely in the right place, you'll do great -  both socially and academically!

:-\

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2007, 02:19:20 PM »
Hah, thread has been hijacked by gunners.   :D

jk guys

Yeah pretty much

Helpful Chap

• View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2007, 02:21:35 PM »

jk guys

Yeah pretty much

Why STL over Case?   Just curious.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2007, 02:45:09 PM »

jk guys

Yeah pretty much

Why STL over Case?   Just curious.

I live here. And they have a Master's program that's related to what I'm doing now, that I would probably do on its own if I wasn't going to law school, that Case can't quite match. Case is a great school, but I've been living with my b/f for a year now, and it would take an AMAZING school in an AMAZING city to get me to move. I just don't have the numbers to get into those kinds of schools.

Geo_Storm

• Sr. Citizen
  • I just parked it under tree. I didn't drive in
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2007, 03:24:05 PM »
If i'm the type that answers questions when noone else in the class does but get them 50% ridculously wrong, what does that make me?
THE LSN is here. PLZ post on my LSN profile.

I wish I had more fingers to cross.

Helpful Chap

• View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2007, 03:27:05 PM »
If i'm the type that answers questions when noone else in the class does but get them 50% ridculously wrong, what does that make me?

Without more information that's a borderline call, but I'm going to have to say that would probably make you a gunner.

Sorry.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2007, 03:54:25 PM »

Without more information that's a borderline call, but I'm going to have to say that would probably make you a gunner.

Sorry.

gunner with a little "g"
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Oddibemcd

• Sr. Citizen
  • Take that Rocket
    • View Profile
    • Law School Numbers
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2007, 04:33:56 PM »
I know we have at least one big-time gunner coming to Duke with us.  Serious non-trad, which is not automatically bad....I certainly don't mean to suggest that.  But this guy was rough, he got asked to be quiet by the professor during the mock class...and said "Well that was a bad example but..."  Right after the kid sitting rihgt next to him spoke.

If you're on here non-trad gunner....please chill out...

I'm a non-trad (I'll be 28 when I start LS and worked for a fortune 500 company for 7 years) and I was a non-trad for undergrad, going to school when I was 24. I never understood the mentality of the show-off people who were my age or older. I looked at the experience as a chance to get to know girls who I wouldn't run into anywhere else, why piss them off? I had one woman in my class (who was older than me) who refused to address the prof by anything other than his first name. The whole class rebels against that. Meanwhile, I was more mature than most of the other guys in the classroom and I had a ton more disposable income. I had experiences I wouldn't have had if I was an annoying feminine hygiene product, but I guess that's just me.
Attending: Cornell
In: Cornell, G-Town, W&M(w), FSU(w), U of Cincinnati(w), Santa Clara(w)
Held: Northwestern(w)
Waitlisted: Cardozo(w), Michigan(w), Penn
Out: Chicago, Yale, NYU, Columbia

171/3.4

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2007, 04:40:41 PM »

are you self-righteous or self-effacing?  I think the obnoxious factor is what makes the gunner.  (And/or if you jump right in with 50% wrong answers instead of letting the silence steep for a second before taking a wild stab at it.)
U of Chicago 2010.