Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gunners....  (Read 7668 times)

S.A.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Gunners....
« Reply #40 on: May 14, 2007, 10:58:15 AM »
Do you really think just anyone would ask for notes though? I wouldn't feel comfortable asking someone I didn't know for notes.

skeeball

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2007, 11:04:20 AM »
Tag

The Pookie

• Sr. Citizen
  • the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2007, 11:09:06 AM »
...offers notes to anyone, even the guy/girl that missed class because of bar review.

Is this really the norm?  I don't mean to sound like a jerk but if someone missed class because they were drunk in UG that is one thing, but in law school I would find it hard to take that person seriously.  I would willingly give notes to anyone who had a decent reason for missing a class, but I think missing class in law school for being hungover is extremeley irresponsible. 

Anyone want to give a reason why peers should bail out a fellow student for their irresponsibility?

By the way I am just a OL, so what do I know

Well, because you would hope they would return the favor for you.

I mean, if it's someone who never ever goes, then don't share, fine.  But if the person who sits next to you has one or two rough mornings and they miss...you really wouldn't share?

You'll probably need it at some point, too.

I understand what you are saying, I have just always been the kid in undergrad that even after a night of partying has been prepared for class, and thus been asked a lot for notes from people who missed or were incoherent in class.  I think I will have a tough time getting myself through LS, let along babying someone else through.  

I get it though...karma...help someone else out, and then in the future they may help you when you need it.  I just know how some people are and once you give them and inch they take a mile. I am not saying that I will never share my notes, but I guess I just don't understand this "share your notes with anyone who asks for them" mentality. 

also, i know some people don't care about those things but it might behoove people to be well-liked by their peers. After all, law school is not just *school* it's a network of your peers in the legal world. People have long memories, and you don't want to be known as "that guy who wouldn't share his notes" 10 years down the road when you're trying to change jobs.

quem vem la-sou eu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 14, 2007, 11:44:38 AM »
This thread reminds me of a segment of the book One L where they decide that raising one's hand and commenting in class in two out of every five sessions is sort of the golden mean. If I found that participating a little bit more than is expected helped me learn the material better, though, I would probably do it, despite the  stigma being discussed here. I think someone already posted this perspective, but I just wanted to echo him/her.

bros

• yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 14, 2007, 11:49:44 AM »
y'all havent even started law school and youre talking like youre the expert on gunner behavior

quem vem la-sou eu

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2007, 11:56:58 AM »
y'all havent even started law school and youre talking like youre the expert on gunner behavior

Ever heard the saying, "Fake it till you make it"?

UGAfootballfanatic

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2007, 02:42:36 PM »
Well, and you have some old-timers who have been through it trying to temper the thread with a dose of reality...

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2007, 02:46:38 PM »
I know we have at least one big-time gunner coming to Duke with us.  Serious non-trad, which is not automatically bad....I certainly don't mean to suggest that.  But this guy was rough, he got asked to be quiet by the professor during the mock class...and said "Well that was a bad example but..."  Right after the kid sitting rihgt next to him spoke.

If you're on here non-trad gunner....please chill out...

adlai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2007, 02:48:23 PM »
Yeah, not to sound like a jerk... but I generally find non-trads to be irritating (no offense, just my life experience)

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2007, 04:48:22 PM »
Speaking as a 0L, anyone who used legal jargon in the ASW mock class has all the makings of a gunner.
U of Chicago 2010.