Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Gunners....  (Read 7687 times)

adlai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Gunners....
« on: May 11, 2007, 06:56:34 PM »
I'd never heard of the term until I got on this board... and yeah, it just clicks. How do you spot a gunner in a class?

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
Re: Gunners....
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 06:57:20 PM »
I'd never heard of the term until I got on this board... and yeah, it just clicks. How do you spot a gunner in a class?

its the moron with his hand up.

but the end of the semester, the very sound of his voice causes you pain.
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 07:01:01 PM »

its the moron with his hand up...all the time.

fixt
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 07:02:50 PM »

its the moron with his hand up...all the time.

fixt

ha ha yeah that's a given

JD

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 07:12:48 PM »
So..........are there any good gunners?  I mean, are there any know-it-alls who actually do know it all and move the class along?  (which i don't think i would like either...too fast is just as bad as too slow)

they are much easier to tolerate when intelligent words come out of their mouths.  and, you can always count on them when the prof is like "anyone?"  because if they don't, then he'll pick somebody

so they do have some value.

JD

Hank Rearden

• LSD Obsessed
  • Zurich is stained
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 07:27:21 PM »
So..........are there any good gunners?  I mean, are there any know-it-alls who actually do know it all and move the class along?  (which i don't think i would like either...too fast is just as bad as too slow)

they are much easier to tolerate when intelligent words come out of their mouths.  and, you can always count on them when the prof is like "anyone?"  because if they don't, then he'll pick somebody

so they do have some value.

Yeah--I always like the person who raises his hand when no one else wants to.  That does move things along, especially when the person provides a correct answer. 
CLS '10

The appropriateness of Perpetua would probably depend on the tone of the writing.  When I used it, I (half playfully) thought the extra space made the words sort of resonate.

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 08:35:24 PM »
But inevitably I'm afraid something ridiculous with eventually spew out of their mouth
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

adlai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 08:39:59 PM »
You see, what you're describing is the teacher's pet. When I think of a gunner, I think of some quiet guy in the corner who doesn't share notes and who absolutely destroys the curve.

dabble

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 08:48:13 PM »
When I hear gunner, I think Arsenal FC....  ;D
Seattle U 2010 :D

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 08:57:28 PM »
You see, what you're describing is the teacher's pet. When I think of a gunner, I think of some quiet guy in the corner who doesn't share notes and who absolutely destroys the curve.

no, the professors typically hate gunners.  theyre a pain in the ass for all concerned

JD