keep lexis brief & headnotes up and you'll do just fine  :D

i cant tell you how many times i read from the "overview" on lexis

fuwaf

• View Profile
Re: 2L here - questions anyone?
« Reply #41 on: May 14, 2007, 06:49:34 PM »

I had a Torts Pool and a Property Pool this semester where 3 of us split the reading for each of those classes and wrote up notes and briefs for the others, so I had a few lovely class participation times reading verbatim from briefs written by Pool members.  :D

NOTE: I do highly recommend the Pool idea if you can do it with people at your same intelligence level who will write good notes.  The notes they write are more extensive than you'd probably get from a case briefs book, and I didn't have any problems grasping the basic rule of the case from their briefs.  It saved me so much time (our section had a sadistic Property professor who made our lives miserable and I was too busy crying inside to read the insanely huge assignments for these classes).  It may not work for everyone and it probably sounds like a bad idea... and maybe it actually is in practice... but we won't know until I get grades for this semester! 

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 14, 2007, 06:51:51 PM »

I had a Torts Pool and a Property Pool this semester where 3 of us split the reading for each of those classes and wrote up notes and briefs for the others, so I had a few lovely class participation times reading verbatim from briefs written by Pool members.  :D

NOTE: I do highly recommend the Pool idea if you can do it with people at your same intelligence level who will write good notes.  The notes they write are more extensive than you'd probably get from a case briefs book, and I didn't have any problems grasping the basic rule of the case from their briefs.  It saved me so much time (our section had a sadistic Property professor who made our lives miserable and I was too busy crying inside to read the insanely huge assignments for these classes).  It may not work for everyone and it probably sounds like a bad idea... and maybe it actually is in practice... but we won't know until I get grades for this semester! 

« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2007, 12:41:52 AM »
If you keep up with the work when other people fall behind and try to see the forest instead of just the trees, you'll be prepared for exams.  So this thread is actually full of good advice.  Carry on, HelpfulChap.

Thank you mate.  I came back to LSD a week and a half ago and was stunned to see so much bad advice for 0Ls.  I figured I may as well come back and try to offset the bad advice a bit. 

« Reply #44 on: May 15, 2007, 12:45:42 AM »
One other thing - the 'pool' for the daily reading assignments sounds like a good idea.  Just make sure you don't end up doing more than your share of the work (goes along w/ the "others of similar intelligence" caveat mentioned earlier.)

Also - if anyone doesn't feel comfortable asking something in this thread for whatever reason, please feel free to send me a PM.

Nimmy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: May 15, 2007, 02:43:36 AM »
what are your top three tips for success in law school?

1.  Don't prep pre-1L.  You'll burn yourself out.

2. Get a broad understanding of the material early - how everything fits together.  Save the details for the last month before finals.  You won't remember the details before then if you try to memorize them anyways. 

3. Don't worry about getting called on or class prep.  This assumes grading at your school is anonymous.  Focus on the big picture when preparing for class.

Since 2 and 3 were kind of the same - #4 - don't talk about your grades.  Ever.  Just trust me.

It seems I may have gotten the wrong impression of you in another thread.

« Reply #46 on: May 15, 2007, 12:13:44 PM »
what are your top three tips for success in law school?

1.  Don't prep pre-1L.  You'll burn yourself out.

2. Get a broad understanding of the material early - how everything fits together.  Save the details for the last month before finals.  You won't remember the details before then if you try to memorize them anyways. 

3. Don't worry about getting called on or class prep.  This assumes grading at your school is anonymous.  Focus on the big picture when preparing for class.

Since 2 and 3 were kind of the same - #4 - don't talk about your grades.  Ever.  Just trust me.

It seems I may have gotten the wrong impression of you in another thread.

I think this is definitely the case  ;)

However, I did get what I deserved for posting in a thread titled "Gunners," so there is some poetic justice here. 

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2007, 06:57:41 PM »
One other thing - the 'pool' for the daily reading assignments sounds like a good idea.  Just make sure you don't end up doing more than your share of the work (goes along w/ the "others of similar intelligence" caveat mentioned earlier.)

Also - if anyone doesn't feel comfortable asking something in this thread for whatever reason, please feel free to send me a PM.

Yeah you can't really do a pool until 2nd semester for sure, and only with people you trust.  I split up the assignments for my groups and we just did it really evenly and everyone was happy.

« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2007, 05:41:41 PM »
Questions? Anyone?

Bueller?

what do law students usually do their 1L summer?

The informal rule is that it must be something legal related so that it won't hurt you for OCI. 

As long as you go to a decent school and aren't in the bottom quarter of the class you can usually find something paid and legal related.  If you can't find anything paid, then you have to either volunteer somewhere legal related or study abroad.  Studying abroad (unless you split the summer) generally looks pretty bad though. 

Some people at lower ranked schools just do whatever summer job they did in college (i.e. non legal related), and this will greatly hurt their chance for 2L summer, which is the really important one in terms of finding a permanent job after graduation.

Basically, 1L summer doesn't matter unless you are doing a) something great (i.e. clerking for fed. appellate court) or b) Don't do something legal related.   'a' helps you a lot for 2L summer and OCI and puts you in demand to the point where you can basically write your own check; 'b' pretty much kills any chances you have of getting a market paying job for 2L summer and also hurts your chances of getting a market paying job after you graduate.

« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2007, 05:44:50 PM »
Questions? Anyone?

Bueller?

what do law students usually do their 1L summer?

The informal rule is that it must be something legal related so that it won't hurt you for OCI. 

As long as you go to a decent school and aren't in the bottom quarter of the class you can usually find something paid and legal related.  If you can't find anything paid, then you have to either volunteer somewhere legal related or study abroad.  Studying abroad (unless you split the summer) generally looks pretty bad though. 

Some people at lower ranked schools just do whatever summer job they did in college (i.e. non legal related), and this will greatly hurt their chance for 2L summer, which is the really important one in terms of finding a permanent job after graduation.

Basically, 1L summer doesn't matter unless you are doing a) something great (i.e. clerking for fed. appellate court) or b) Don't do something legal related.   'a' helps you a lot for 2L summer and OCI and puts you in demand to the point where you can basically write your own check; 'b' pretty much kills any chances you have of getting a market paying job for 2L summer and also hurts your chances of getting a market paying job after you graduate.
it's possible to do this as a summer job?