Law School Discussion

2L here - questions anyone?

Re: 2L here - questions anyone?
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2007, 07:13:08 PM »
tag

« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2007, 11:45:36 PM »
Is it true that if I marry a prof, I get to attend school for free?

This is basically true.

However, if you're talking about domestic partners/gay marriage, there is considerable debate as to whether, constitutionally, such rights should be extended to homosexuals in committed relationships as well.  Are homosexuals a protected class?  Quasi-protected?   I have no idea.  Not my area of expertise.  I'll leave the rest of this fun for you to sort out in con law. 

« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2007, 11:46:23 PM »
you queried yourself.

O RLY?

« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2007, 12:44:39 PM »

This is basically true.

However, if you're talking about domestic partners/gay marriage, there is considerable debate as to whether, constitutionally, such rights should be extended to homosexuals in committed relationships as well.  Are homosexuals a protected class?  Quasi-protected?   I have no idea.  Not my area of expertise.  I'll leave the rest of this fun for you to sort out in con law. 

I won't have to take Con Law at my school.

Does that mean that there is no debate as to the domestic partner/gay marriage issue?

Your school doesn't require con law?  This is odd, but if true then yes, this means you won't get the 'pleasure' of discussing these topics during class time unless you want to get creative and try to sneak it in during the day you go over tenancy by the entirety in property.

P.S. The property thing is a joke - don't do actually do this.   

« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2007, 12:46:06 PM »
lol @ this thread

My fan club is apparently on the rise and now includes -two- persons.

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2007, 03:45:56 PM »
Is it bad to be a gunnar?

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2007, 12:28:42 AM »

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2007, 03:21:07 PM »

This is basically true.

I won't have to take Con Law at my school.

Does that mean that there is no debate as to the domestic partner/gay marriage issue?

Your school doesn't require con law?  This is odd, but if true then yes, this means you won't get the 'pleasure' of discussing these topics during class time unless you want to get creative and try to sneak it in during the day you go over tenancy by the entirety in property.

P.S. The property thing is a joke - don't do actually do this.   

Actually we did discuss it in property.  That stuff is serious round here.

They did put the Massachusetts gay marriage case in the Dukeminier book, so it'll probably come up at some point.

« Reply #38 on: May 14, 2007, 02:54:01 PM »
anymore questions? 

BTW - I just realized this post is in the wrong forum.  Oh well.   Consider yourselves lucky.

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 14, 2007, 06:42:23 PM »
Are the class discussions of a nature that you can speak competently when called on without having read the material, i.e. picking up the gist of what's going on just from listening to the discussion? Or do you pretty much have to do the reading to have any chance of not sounding like an idiot?

FWIW, I'm actually planning on trying this time around. Just curious.

This depends 100% on the teacher.  In my experience, I had 1 prof per semester that really would grill you on the particular facts of the cases.  I struggled in-class during those classes.  Others probably thought I was a little slow.  I did better than over 90% of these people. 

You basically have to ask yourself - do you want to be them in 1 year or me?  You don't have time to both be super-prepared for every in-class question and also getting the bigger concepts without working 8 hours or so a night.  I don't have the stamina to keep up that pace all semester, and 99% of your classmates don't either. 

My biggest piece of advice - learn how to choose your battles.  Everything you read/study - ask yourself - why am I reading/studying this?  If the answer isn't "to do good on finals" then stop and do something else. 

Ok I just actually read this thread and I second the bolded part.  I was always well-prepared for class without going overboard, and as long as you stay on top of the reading, class participation itself doesn't matter (unless your professor will detract from your grade if you never participate).  I was always frantically IMing/facebooking/writing e-mails/looking at funny pictures of cats when I got called on in class and I'm sure I sounded like a total dumbass half the time since I had no idea where we really were (and I had at least one professor each semester who just liked to PILLAGE students with questions)... but I did better than 95% of the people in my class.  Which just goes to show that the person who sounds really smart in class isn't usually the smart one... it's the girl trying really hard not to laugh at some random *&^% she's looking at on her computer.  ;)

If you keep up with the work when other people fall behind and try to see the forest instead of just the trees, you'll be prepared for exams.  So this thread is actually full of good advice.  Carry on, HelpfulChap.