Law School Discussion

2L here - questions anyone?

Re: 2L here - questions anyone?
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 08:35:38 AM »
Is there any suggestions you have for improving upon comprehending complex statements the first time through?

As far as improving on the lsat reading comp - it's almost always too late for that, plus that's not my area of expertise so take my advice with a grain of a salt. 

As for improving your reading comprehension in general - this may sound obvious, but just read a lot. 

It doesn't have to be books or law related stuff either.  Simply find what you are passionate about and read about it for several hours a day.   It helps if the topic(s) you are most interested in is/are intellectually challenging.  I'm sorry, but I know of no easier way to improve this.  Getting exercise helps with overall concentration too.

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 08:41:54 AM »
Is there any suggestions you have for improving upon comprehending complex statements the first time through?

As far as improving on the lsat reading comp - it's almost always too late for that, plus that's not my area of expertise so take my advice with a grain of a salt. 

As for improving your reading comprehension in general - this may sound obvious, but just read a lot. 

It doesn't have to be books or law related stuff either.  Simply find what you are passionate about and read about it for several hours a day.   It helps if the topic(s) you are most interested in is/are intellectually challenging.  I'm sorry, but I know of no easier way to improve this.  Getting exercise helps with overall concentration too.

Sorry, I did not intend to ask for LSAT reading comp help, that's over and done with.  Unfortunately, I landed on the lower end of my typical reading comp performance that fateful morning.

There is never a period of time where I'm not reading... but only for pleasure.  Mostly fiction novels.  I'll keep up the reading until law school starts.  And I exercise daily, so I'm already reaping whatever benefits that has to offer.  haha

Thanks for the help.

« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2007, 08:48:56 AM »

Sorry, I did not intend to ask for LSAT reading comp help, that's over and done with.  Unfortunately, I landed on the lower end of my typical reading comp performance that fateful morning.

There is never a period of time where I'm not reading... but only for pleasure.  Mostly fiction novels.  I'll keep up the reading until law school starts.  And I exercise daily, so I'm already reaping whatever benefits that has to offer.  haha

Thanks for the help.

Novels will work just fine.  Also, make sure you research the proper supplements to buy early in the semester. This consists of spending a day in the school bookstore going through each of them (unless you have the money to buy every supplement in the store, which just about nobody does) and having the ability to read your profs based on their old exams and your early reads on their teaching styles.  But mostly, base your selections on their old exams.

« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2007, 09:13:49 AM »
Going to lunch - will answer as many questions as I can for the rest of the day after I get back. 

road

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2007, 10:07:27 AM »
What did you do to study during the semester? Mostly just read and brief the cases? Did you have some kind of system for studying? How did that change at the end of the semester before finals?

thanks for your help

bruin

• View Profile
    • lsn profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2007, 10:31:54 AM »
Are the class discussions of a nature that you can speak competently when called on without having read the material, i.e. picking up the gist of what's going on just from listening to the discussion? Or do you pretty much have to do the reading to have any chance of not sounding like an idiot?

FWIW, I'm actually planning on trying this time around. Just curious.

If you get Kraus for Contracts, don't even think about that. Ananomous grading and all, but you will get A**lly R**ed in class.

GraphiteDirigible

• Hey there fancypants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2007, 11:06:25 AM »
Exams... you say they're usually issue-spotters. How uniform does this require you to be? Are there specific sets of issues that are "correct", or can you get somewhat creative, pointing out unorthodox possibilities and explaining why they're an issue? Do you get "bonus points" for creativity or is it actually dangerous to try this?

Also, how much of the grade is reflected by the style of writing or organization of the response?

Finally, on these "open book" what constitutes a book(i.e. can you use the internet)?

Sorry if I'm grilling you. I'm just interested in strategy.

« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2007, 04:34:01 PM »
What did you do to study during the semester? Mostly just read and brief the cases? Did you have some kind of system for studying? How did that change at the end of the semester before finals?

thanks for your help

First semester I definitely spent too much time reading cases.  I got better at skimming 2nd semester, and I wish I had tried to master this earlier. 

All in all, I recommend you buy case briefs keyed to your casebook and look for old outlines from your professors. 

As for a system of studying, I didn't really have one.  I just found the best supplement for me (max of two in each subject) in each subject and used that along with the casebook for the text of and notes on the important cases.  See my earlier post for the amount of time I put in. 

« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2007, 04:46:24 PM »
Exams... you say they're usually issue-spotters. How uniform does this require you to be? Are there specific sets of issues that are "correct", or can you get somewhat creative, pointing out unorthodox possibilities and explaining why they're an issue? Do you get "bonus points" for creativity or is it actually dangerous to try this?

Also, how much of the grade is reflected by the style of writing or organization of the response?

Finally, on these "open book" what constitutes a book(i.e. can you use the internet)?

Sorry if I'm grilling you. I'm just interested in strategy.

As far as exams, you want to do both things you said to the best of your ability.  While it may be possible to get an A without making some creative (again, nothing ground breaking, this is a 3 hour exam, but something that not everyone would see) point, I think it certainly makes it easier to get an A when the profs see that you can come up with a semi-unique legal theory from their fact pattern. It shows that you understand how all the rules fit together, and that you "get it."  The best way I can oversimplify doing well on exams: Make the prof convinced that you "get it," generally. 

Conversely, one of the best ways to show you don't 'get it' is to throw some off the wall theory in that completely goes against the entire theme of the material.  In short, I think you should be careful.

Most profs say they don't penalize you for discussion they may consider off-base, however I have my doubts about this.  On the other hand, the exams that are the longest and hit the most issues tend to get the highest grades.  Sorry if that seems like a non-answer, but the truth is that when it comes to grading it all depends on the prof.  Part of the "game" of law school is figuring out a prof's philosophies and further figuring out a way to use them for your benefit.  Does this sound like anything you might be doing as a lawyer?

Astro

• Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2007, 06:47:46 PM »
LOLZ @ THREAD

Dude, you're awesome.  I just find it amusing that you queried yourself.