Law School Discussion

2L here - questions anyone?

fuwaf

• View Profile
Re: 2L here - questions anyone?
« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2007, 06:35:17 PM »
Sorry.  Had no intent of hijacking your thread.  I meant to make a generalized comment about the use of canned briefs in response to another poster's suggestion that they might serve as a sufficient substitute for briefing your own cases. I believe that my generalized response was, however, appropriate because I found that no two students used precisely the same means to get to the end.  Yours may be the absolute best.  I'm not arguing.  I just observe that each student generally develops his own style over the course of his tenure.  (P.S. As my moniker indicates I graduated in '06 and am now a practicing attorney in CA, for what that's worth. I stick around these boards 'cause I loved law school!)   

My style?  Briefed every case on my laptop prior to class.  Took the laptop to class and, below each case, took class notes.  Towards the end of the semester, re-read and condensed the cases (distilling down to facts upon which the case turned and editing out much of the reasoning), bolded the holdings, and incorported same via copy/paste into an outline.  Always had a good commerical outline available at this point (typically Emanuels), and only at this point, to ensure that I was capturing the "big picture" and to clear up any areas I was uncertain about.  I would even add in language from the commercial outline into my outline if I felt the author "said it" better than I did.  Whatever it took to help me understand and remember.

Hope that helps a bit.  Sorry again. I gotta run for the weekend...

This is basically what I did as well in terms of briefing.  I then incorporated briefs into my outline by writing the corresponding rule that was relevant to that section of the class and any notes my professor said about the case that were useful.  I didn't re-read any cases after briefing or before exams.

As jd06 says, everyone comes up with their own style, and it just depends on what works.

« Reply #101 on: May 27, 2007, 12:20:25 AM »
Sorry.  Had no intent of hijacking your thread.  I meant to make a generalized comment about the use of canned briefs in response to another poster's suggestion that they might serve as a sufficient substitute for briefing your own cases. I believe that my generalized response was, however, appropriate because I found that no two students used precisely the same means to get to the end.  Yours may be the absolute best.  I'm not arguing.  I just observe that each student generally develops his own style over the course of his tenure.  (P.S. As my moniker indicates I graduated in '06 and am now a practicing attorney in CA, for what that's worth. I stick around these boards 'cause I loved law school!)   

My style?  Briefed every case on my laptop prior to class.  Took the laptop to class and, below each case, took class notes.  Towards the end of the semester, re-read and condensed the cases (distilling down to facts upon which the case turned and editing out much of the reasoning), bolded the holdings, and incorported same via copy/paste into an outline.  Always had a good commerical outline available at this point (typically Emanuels), and only at this point, to ensure that I was capturing the "big picture" and to clear up any areas I was uncertain about.  I would even add in language from the commercial outline into my outline if I felt the author "said it" better than I did.  Whatever it took to help me understand and remember.

This is basically what I did as well in terms of briefing.  I then incorporated briefs into my outline by writing the corresponding rule that was relevant to that section of the class and any notes my professor said about the case that were useful.  I didn't re-read any cases after briefing or before exams.

As jd06 says, everyone comes up with their own style, and it just depends on what works.

if i remember correctly, your style worked out REAL GOOD fo you.

fuwaf

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 27, 2007, 07:22:24 AM »

if i remember correctly, your style worked out REAL GOOD fo you.

;)

It did.  But I worked really hard... harder than a lot of people were willing to work.

« Reply #103 on: June 02, 2007, 03:59:57 PM »
bump for more questions.