Law School Discussion

NYU GPA weight

NYU GPA weight
« on: May 10, 2007, 09:57:13 PM »
anyone know how much weight nyu places on gpa in relation to lsat? i' m just wondering if my 169 can be offset by my 3.9 gpa...thanx

ljg

• View Profile
Re: NYU GPA weight
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 06:52:52 AM »
I was accepted with a 3.87, 169. Non-URM, female, top liberal arts university.

A 169 is a very good score, and will get you in to some great schools! Best of luck.

beeker

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 07:29:35 AM »
anyone know how much weight nyu places on gpa in relation to lsat? i' m just wondering if my 169 can be offset by my 3.9 gpa...thanx

Well I got into NYU with a 168, 3.84...female, non-URM, top liberal arts university.  And I got my acceptance 2 days after going complete...so they must not mind the high 160's too much...

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 07:23:51 AM »
what would u guys put my odds of admission at? applying this upcoming fall

beeker

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 07:44:07 AM »
That's hard to answer without knowing anything else about you.  Do you have work experience?  What was the extent of your extracurricular involvement?  I'd like to say they are good because your numbers are slightly better than mine, but I have very strong soft factors...so without hearing more, it would be tough to guess.

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 07:45:51 AM »
That's hard to answer without knowing anything else about you.  Do you have work experience?  What was the extent of your extracurricular involvement?  I'd like to say they are good because your numbers are slightly better than mine, but I have very strong soft factors...so without hearing more, it would be tough to guess.

yea my softs are nothing extraordinary and i work in the summer but not during school...i feel like i have 3 very solid letters of rec...i guess my PS will be a huge admission factor for me

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 07:48:11 AM »
fwiw, chiashu puts me at about 45% on numbers alone...but i don't really know how accurate chiashu is since i haven't gotten decisions yet or even applied for that matter

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 11:28:37 AM »
fwiw, chiashu puts me at about 45% on numbers alone...but i don't really know how accurate chiashu is since i haven't gotten decisions yet or even applied for that matter

take those calculators with a grain of salt. they give you a position based on your numbers alone, but personal factors affect admission a lot, otherwise we wouldn't have people with 175+ and 3.75+ being rejected from T14 schools.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 01:49:22 PM »
Apply early and you have very good chances. Apply late and you'd probably be in the "maybe" folder for a while.

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 02:31:36 PM »
I agree with everything that's been said...I think you have a very good chance, especially if you apply early.  Is taking the LSAT again an option?  I don't think it would be necessary, but a 172+ would make NYU a virtual certainty I think...not to mention a decent chance at HYS.

yea i thought about an LSAT retake but i did 3 points better on the actual test than on my highest practice so I don't wanna mess with a good thing there...plus they changed the test a bit and I have been away from it for so long now that I feel like I would do a lot worse the second time around