Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Moving  (Read 1220 times)

bunny327

• View Profile
Moving
« on: May 10, 2007, 08:00:17 PM »
If going to an out-of-state school, when do you plan to move?

My UGPA was Pi

• View Profile
Re: Moving
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 11:35:47 PM »
Before school starts.

bunny327

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 11:53:48 PM »
well duh i know that  :P I mean is it a month before school starts..a couple weeks

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 03:47:17 AM »
School starts Aug 15, I plan on being there by Aug 1. Possibly 3 days earlier, depending on a few things.

UFBGD

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2007, 09:55:02 AM »
My orientation starts August 17, so I'm hoping to Move Aug. 3rd.  Making the transition from Florida to Iowa.  I'm leaving all my wordly possessions home and pretending to "camp" for 3 yrs.  And by camp, I just mean like bringing the basics with you, clothes etc., and buying things when you get there. :-\  Anyone else doing this?

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2007, 04:54:15 PM »
My orientation starts August 17, so I'm hoping to Move Aug. 3rd.  Making the transition from Florida to Iowa.  I'm leaving all my wordly possessions home and pretending to "camp" for 3 yrs.  And by camp, I just mean like bringing the basics with you, clothes etc., and buying things when you get there. :-\  Anyone else doing this?

I'm not quite sure what to do about this. :-\ ... I was lucky to find a place to live that is partially furnished. So I dont have to bring a bed, kitchen table, or couches. But I still need a desk, chair, night stand, book case, dishes, sheeets, etc. I'm taking my car, so I have to drive an Accord from Texas to DC. Can I even think of attaching a U-Haul-like thing to the back of such a small car? Or do I have to settle for taking just what I can fit in one of those overhead thingies? Should I just buy new stuff when I get there? Seems silly if I've already got the stuff!

SilentSwirl

• Sr. Citizen
  • Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2007, 08:55:05 PM »

I'm not quite sure what to do about this. :-\ ... I was lucky to find a place to live that is partially furnished. So I dont have to bring a bed, kitchen table, or couches. But I still need a desk, chair, night stand, book case, dishes, sheeets, etc. I'm taking my car, so I have to drive an Accord from Texas to DC. Can I even think of attaching a U-Haul-like thing to the back of such a small car? Or do I have to settle for taking just what I can fit in one of those overhead thingies? Should I just buy new stuff when I get there? Seems silly if I've already got the stuff!

You'd have to get a tow-hitch installed on your car, or you could rent a uhaul (actually penske's cheaper, but you know what I mean) and tow your car. That's probably what I'll be doing if I get into UCLA. I think I'll buy new stuff if I go out to Chicago, though.

I thought about towing the car, but omg how much would it suck to drive a truck halfway across the country? That, I could deal with, though. Biggest problem is probably BOTH my parents want to come along for the ride and I dont know about all of us in the truck...

grlykoolblah

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2007, 10:48:23 PM »

So your going to U of Iowa too?

lovethelaw2010

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2007, 11:01:13 PM »
Hey SilentSwirl you also might want to look into something called U Pack it or something like that.  They give you a pod or something to pack your stuff in and then they haul it across the country for you to unload.  Might be cheaper than a UHaul.  I don't know though.  Def. would be a lot easier and then you could just drive your accord.

My UGPA was Pi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 11:24:12 PM »
I thought about towing the car, but omg how much would it suck to drive a truck halfway across the country? That, I could deal with, though. Biggest problem is probably BOTH my parents want to come along for the ride and I dont know about all of us in the truck...

That's an easy one!  Make your parents drive the truck, and you drive the car.  Then you don't even have to rent the car dolly.

I'm doing the ABF U-pack trailer thing, because I don't want to drive a moving truck 2500 miles.  I just bought a car dolly, so I'll drive one car and tow the other.