Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What irks me about AA  (Read 6937 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What irks me about AA
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2007, 11:15:45 PM »

There is nothing that irks me more than the blatant appropriation of anti-racist ideals to support racist agendas.   

So because I do not agree with AA my agenda is racist?  WOW.  Again, what a disgusting display of entitlement.  If someone disagrees with AA they MUST be a racist or at least support racist agendas! It is this kind of thinking that keeps racism alive in America. 

Ignoring race does not remedy the persistence and impact of racism.   

I never argued that race should be ignored, I just don't think that it should used to benefit one race over another (be it in the work place, college, etc.). 

If policies discriminated for hundreds of years (and still do in many cases), taking those policies off the books now and saying that all races are equal does not address the impact those policies still have in the present day. 

Since when does it become the governments job to "address the impact" of racist policies from the past?  Such policies should be changed (and have been in many cases). Deciding to MAKE discriminatory policies to make up for past wrongs is a terrible idea, and will (has) only create(d) more problems than good. 

Even if AA brought only all good, do the ends justify the means when discrimination is used to correct past discrimination? 

adlai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2007, 11:24:33 PM »
Whatever happened to "content, not color"? 

::cringes::

I will not wade into this discussion, because it seems clear, once again, that people are stuck in their ways on both sides.  The only I wanted to say is to please not appropriate the words or concepts of Dr. King for an agenda that does nothing to remedy many of the problems with which he was concerned.  There is nothing that irks me more than the blatant appropriation of anti-racist ideals to support racist agendas.  The idea of colorblindness is an end in of itself, not the means to the end.  Colorblindness is not a means to colorblindness.  It's simply naive for people to intimate that if race wasn't made an issue, it wouldn't be an issue.  The truth is, race still matters in profound, immense, severe, negative ways.  You don't erase the subconscious, institutional, or explicit racism by pretending that race doesn't exist.  Ignoring race does not remedy the persistance and impact of racism.  All it does is maintain the status quo.  If policies discriminiated for hundreds of years (and still do in many cases), taking those policies off the books now and saying that all races are equal does not address the impact those policies still have in the present day. 

::leaves::

Race matters. So does gait, height, whether you're ugly or handsome. I often find myself going easy on pretty women. Should there be an AA program for the fat and ugly? I think that the disagreement lies in the degree to which racism is prevalent in society, and what's the correct course. The image that you paint is a very pessimistic one, which would be used to justify AA for the rest of human history. One potential argument I see for AA is that it forces the issue of race discrimination to the forefront due to its very existence. I once worked in a middle school, and they had acronyms something like

Caring
Respective
Alert
Protective

which seems cult-like, but at the same time does have an effect by making everyone aware of what is expected.

AA's benefits are marginal (I think it's best used as a tie-breaker... above that and I have a problem), and those who are hurt by it will simply go to a slightly lower ranked school and still likely succeed in life.

but be more specific please.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2007, 11:40:26 PM »
I agree.  Add something to the discussion.

:D :D :D

::looks at rest of AA board::

::compares the post count of n00bs in this thread to post count of self and qui combined in board::

::laughs again::
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2007, 11:40:51 PM »
The pro AA people don't make such a good argument when they can't team up on one person.  They don't even really try.  I guess the easy way out is to call everyone who doesn't agree with them a racist and then leave.  

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2007, 11:45:32 PM »
It doesn't matter how many posts someone has, they can still be wrong.  You are proof of that. 

::writes in the third person show how clever he can be::

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2007, 11:48:06 PM »
 ::) ::) ::)

:D

I want to do this myself.  I honestly do.  But I've done it at least twenty times before, and I've got things to do tonight.  (Me looking at the rest of the board was a hint.  Why don't you f-ing trolls read a bit before you start these damn threads?)

Instead, I'll just wait patiently for qui to return.  She'll be much more succinct about it, anyway.

Just so you know (before I leave), your argument is riddled with holes and displays profound ignorance of historical and present discrimination.  Ironically, your reply to katluva just solidified that notion, even though, no matter how people cut it for you, you're always going to think you pwn3d her.  Your loss.  Honest.

And no, you don't "know" these things.  You don't "understand" these things.  You don't even really know where any of it comes from, or why it's important.  Even though you think you do. 

At least, I'm going to assume as much.  Because if you do, then you really are a racist.  And you can kiss my f-ing ass if you don't like being called that -- it's not my ignorance that's being served up for the world to see here.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2007, 12:22:30 AM »
If you don't like the thread, then leave.  Really, it is very simple.  

And you can kiss my f-ing ass if you don't like being called that  

I hate to be the broken record here, but if you don't want to discuss this then LEAVE.  If you want to stay here, then make an argument.  Name calling shows your lack of intelligence, and calling people racists b/c they don't agree with you, shows (once again) how pathetic and deeply entrenched your sense of entitlement is.  Get over yourself.  Stop playing the role of the victim and assuming that the "system" is out to get you.  Stop whining about what people who aren't even alive anymore did to people (not you) in the past.  

it's not my ignorance that's being served up for the world to see here.

Hahaha, right.

I have no problem with anyone making their point on LSD, but you are just here to name call and whine.  I guess I shouldn't expect much more out of someone with such a negative outlook on life.  It's just sad that you make it public for everyone else to see.  Have a nice life.  

I'm done.

Oh, and as far as trolls go-there was no trolling or contention on this thread until you started in.  Thanks again. 

adlai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2007, 12:32:58 AM »
I should have worked harder in undergrad. Hell, I'm jealous of people who through dint of hard work and lsat prep courses got offered large scholarships. The difference is-- people who work harder than me deserve to be better rewarded. People who merely look differently?

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2007, 12:36:53 AM »
If you don't like the thread, then leave.  Really, it is very simple. 

And you can kiss my f-ing ass if you don't like being called that 

I hate to be the broken record here, but if you don't want to discuss this then LEAVE.  If you want to stay here, then make an argument.  Name calling shows your lack of intelligence, and calling people racists b/c they don't agree with you, shows (once again) how pathetic and deeply entrenched your sense of entitlement is.  Get over yourself.  Stop playing the role of the victim and assuming that the "system" is out to get you.  Stop whining about what people who aren't even alive anymore did to people (not you) in the past. 

it's not my ignorance that's being served up for the world to see here.

Hahaha, right.

I have no problem with anyone making their point on LSD, but you are just here to name call and whine.  I guess I shouldn't expect much more out of someone with such a negative outlook on life.  It's just sad that you make it public for everyone else to see.  Have a nice life. 

I'm done.

Oh, and as far as trolls go-there was no trolling or contention on this thread until you started in.  Thanks again. 

Dude, you've been trolling LSD with this same rhetoric since you signed on.  It's old.  It's predictable.  It's not worth the effort.

Why?

Because there are dozens of threads exactly like this.  Many of which, by the way, I participated in.  So why don't you put in some effort and actually read a few of them?  Go look for them.  Seriously.  My old username is BaboonJ.  You can look for both. 

I'm certainly not going to waste that time again on the likes of you.

adlai

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2007, 01:04:23 AM »
I never said that I automatically blamed AA for being rejected/waitlisted at a number of schools. My first reaction was to blame myself for not doing better in life. As I said earlier, what irks me is when, after the admissions process is over and I have the results in my hand, to see someone with a similar hand being handed more. Do I know everything about his app? no. Do you know everything about mine? no, also. I do know that just a few years ago, UMich gave URM's an automatic 20 points higher, which was the equivalent of something like 5-10 points on the LSAT.