Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: What irks me about AA  (Read 6911 times)

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: What irks me about AA
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 09:00:03 PM »
  shakes head

And the sense of entitlement shows its ugly face. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2007, 09:36:44 PM »
Moreover, if we allow the state to discriminate based upon compelling interests, doesn't the state have a pretty compelling interest to elevate at least some minorities to the upper echelons of society? 

No, a state doesn't.  A CPI can't be just whatever government officials want them to be.  The interest has to be COMPELLING.  I think that the state does have a compelling state interest to help the under privileged, which is why class based AA should be the only form of AA used. 

Living under a two government system, federalist and state, states are allowed to give special considerations to promote the advancement of their own citizens. 

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2007, 09:43:44 PM »
Being in-state doesn't offset poor LSAT scores the way AA does. 

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2007, 09:50:30 PM »
  shakes head

And the sense of entitlement shows its ugly face. 

You are already three steps into making a fool of yourself in this thread.  My advice to you: back off while you still can.
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2007, 10:01:31 PM »
Yay... threats.  The ultimate sign of intelligence.  If you don't like the thread, then leave.  If you have something to add, then say it. 

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2007, 10:04:20 PM »
I agree.  Add something to the discussion.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2007, 10:04:39 PM »
Whatever happened to "content, not color"?  

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2007, 10:07:17 PM »
Whatever happened to the Constitution and the Fourteenth amendment?  The writing is on the wall for AA.  It will be tested, it will be struck down.

katluva33

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2007, 10:35:16 PM »
Whatever happened to "content, not color"?  

::cringes::

I will not wade into this discussion, because it seems clear, once again, that people are stuck in their ways on both sides.  The only I wanted to say is to please not appropriate the words or concepts of Dr. King for an agenda that does nothing to remedy many of the problems with which he was concerned.  There is nothing that irks me more than the blatant appropriation of anti-racist ideals to support racist agendas.  The idea of colorblindness is an end in of itself, not the means to the end.  Colorblindness is not a means to colorblindness.  It's simply naive for people to intimate that if race wasn't made an issue, it wouldn't be an issue.  The truth is, race still matters in profound, immense, severe, negative ways.  You don't erase the subconscious, institutional, or explicit racism by pretending that race doesn't exist.  Ignoring race does not remedy the persistance and impact of racism.  All it does is maintain the status quo.  If policies discriminiated for hundreds of years (and still do in many cases), taking those policies off the books now and saying that all races are equal does not address the impact those policies still have in the present day. 

::leaves::
It's important for us to explain to our nation that life is important. It's not only life of babies, but it's life of children living in, you know, the dark dungeons of the Internet.

I mean, there needs to be a wholesale effort against racial profiling, which is illiterate children

George Bush

eastend

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 10:39:24 PM »
Thank goodness you left before you said something stupid.