Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: ITT we shame Stan for smoking cigarettes  (Read 6365 times)

goaliechica

• LSD Obsessed
  • It's only forever - not long at all.
    • View Profile
ITT we shame Stan for smoking cigarettes
« on: May 10, 2007, 11:58:22 AM »
And..... go.
Quote from: Earthbound SNES
Get a sense of humor, Susan B. Anthony!
Quote from: dashrashi
I'm going to cut a female dog. With a knife with a brown handle, natch.
Quote from: Elephant Lee
Don't judge me. You've not had my life.

Astro

• LSD Obsessed
  • Happy birthday goalie!!!
    • View Profile
Re: ITT we shame Stan for smoking cigarettes
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 02:37:21 PM »
J, if you didn't bring enough penis for everyone, you shouldn't have brought any penis at all. 

GraphiteDirigible

• Sr. Citizen
  • Hey there fancypants.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 03:45:40 PM »

Smoke em if you got em.
Happy colored marbles that are rolling in my head
I put 'em back in the jacket of the one I love
Carry that velvet sack full of pretty colored marbles
And I'll ask you for 'em back, when I'm ready and done

obamacon

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 03:47:35 PM »
Eh, if you don't mind all the side effects I say go for it.

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 08:41:14 PM »

fire 'em up, stan
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

Thistle

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2008, 02:07:00 PM »
did you fall off the wagon?!?
non ex transverso sed deorsum

JD

!закон и право!

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2008, 01:28:18 PM »
I should quit. Bad for the gym.

But seriously, I just enjoy smoking. Does anything know what I'm talking about?

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2008, 10:46:53 PM »
I do not like hats.
I do not like them on bats.
I would not like them near cats.
I would not like them made out of mats.

This is wrong.

• Sr. Citizen
  • Dear LawDog3...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2008, 11:23:44 PM »

::considers above::

::considers OP::

::stops smoking::

::LLOL::

::consoles OP::
I do not like hats.
I do not like them on bats.
I would not like them near cats.
I would not like them made out of mats.

dashrashi

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2008, 11:27:18 PM »
I should quit. Bad for the gym.

But seriously, I just enjoy smoking. Does anything know what I'm talking about?

Yes. I used to feel significantly less awkward when I smoked socially. Something in your hands, the ritual, a good reason to bounce from a bad situation, etc.

However: it gives you cancer. Even if it doesn't give you cancer, it hurts your health very badly. Even the healthiest smokers I know have to cough for a good half hour in the morning. I don't know any non-smokers who have to do that as a matter of course.

I feel strongly negative about smoking, because you are paying a very large corporation for the privilege of hurting you (and, by proxy, those who love you) very deeply, so that you can have the pleasure of something to do with your hands. That's not a good trade. It's a very bad trade, actually.

This summer, I had planned to go to my New Yorker friend's birthday party in Brooklyn on a Saturday night. She, like any authentic New Yorker, smokes like a chimney, as do her friends. The Monday before that weekend, I got a call from a different friend (different circle of friends) that our friend, my freshman/sophomore year roommate in college, had passed away after a long but on-and-off struggle with cancer. Her funeral was scheduled for that Saturday. After a brief caucus with my fellow interns, we decided that it wasn't inappropriate to go to the funeral on Long Island during the day, and then go to Brooklyn for the party that night. So I did. Since it was a New York party, full of New Yorkers, there were cigarettes and smoke everywhere.

What I didn't anticipate was how deeply all the smoking would affect me. Really. It had never, ever occurred to me, even though I knew how much I dislike when the people I love smoke cigarettes. But I guess it was the context of the day, and how much my roommate fought, and planned for her future (med school, of course), only to have it taken away by something so totally beyond her control, and beyond her powers to affect, ultimately. The upshot was that she had wanted something, so much, she had tried for so long to achieve it and to hold onto it, and all the f-ing smokers in the party were throwing it away, really, just treating her great unachievable dream--good health--like it just did not matter.

And I was so furious, and so heartbroken, that people could be so cavalier, and could hurt the people that loved them, with something that other people would have given anything, anything, to have.

I slipped out, went and sat in the stairwell, and sobbed for half an hour. When my boyfriend finally found me, it took ten minutes before I calmed down enough to say anything other than "not fair."

Please don't smoke. Please recognize the gift you've been given. It's not worth a comforting ritual. She would have given anything to be healthy. Please don't treat her dream like it doesn't matter.

www.fosterfoundation.com

ETA: I try not to blame smokers, as I understand the nature of addiction. But this one instance, I guess, overcame that. In any event, I strongly urge smokers to quit, but by and large try not to judge them for smoking. I guess we can all see that I am not always successful.
This sig kills fascists.

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=dashrashi

Saw dashrashi's LSN site. Since she seems to use profanity, one could say that HYP does not necessarily mean class or refinement.