Law School Discussion

"academic steroids" in law school?

Re: "academic steroids" in law school?
« Reply #80 on: May 11, 2007, 02:29:12 PM »

I don't think it's imaginary.  I just think prescribing pills for it is akin to prescribing pills for weight loss, or high blood pressure.  There are literally hundreds of things you can do to get around the diagnosis, but a pill is simply the easiest way out.  I would imagine for some a pill may be the only way around it, but the prevalence of ADD now is alarming.  I don't think it is representative of the amount of people who actually need the medication.

I did not intent to attribute the claim that ADD/ADHD is imaginary to you. But it is a prevailing attitude, with some merit (see: principle of neurodiversity), and I thought a couple of people, including yourself, had obliquely implied it. I'll definitely agree with you that there are people who take Adderol etc for whom alternative treatments would be more effective.

ptown

• View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 11, 2007, 02:54:26 PM »
I find it problematic that ADD has grown so much over the past couple decades.  do more people have this disorder?  or are more people getting diagnosed/misdiagnosed? 

I often wonder this as well, if so many people naturally ADHD/ADD, why wern't there a ton of wild children running around and goofing off in 1950?  It's amazing that the human race has gotten this far with it's natural propensity to produce beings that can't perform a task for more than a few minutes.  How did society fucntion before Ritalin?

I never knew anyone to take "academic steriods" in college, either prescribed or illegally, although people did take them recreationally on occasion with other substances.

we were told we didnt work up to capabilities, didnt sit still, talked out of turn, etc etc etc.  i was in the 60's.  it was said to be behavioral more than physiological

Does that necessarily mean that everyone with a behavioral problem has a brain chemistry issue?  Can't some people just be problematic and not have it explained by some disease?

I'm not saying that some people don't have a legitimate condition, just that it seems as though today people are jumping to excuse poor behavior in all children by blaming it on phsyiological problems beyond their control.

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 11, 2007, 03:08:11 PM »
I find it problematic that ADD has grown so much over the past couple decades.  do more people have this disorder?  or are more people getting diagnosed/misdiagnosed? 

I often wonder this as well, if so many people naturally ADHD/ADD, why wern't there a ton of wild children running around and goofing off in 1950?  It's amazing that the human race has gotten this far with it's natural propensity to produce beings that can't perform a task for more than a few minutes.  How did society fucntion before Ritalin?

I never knew anyone to take "academic steriods" in college, either prescribed or illegally, although people did take them recreationally on occasion with other substances.

we were told we didnt work up to capabilities, didnt sit still, talked out of turn, etc etc etc.  i was in the 60's.  it was said to be behavioral more than physiological

Does that necessarily mean that everyone with a behavioral problem has a brain chemistry issue?  Can't some people just be problematic and not have it explained by some disease?

I'm not saying that some people don't have a legitimate condition, just that it seems as though today people are jumping to excuse poor behavior in all children by blaming it on phsyiological problems beyond their control.

no.  it just means that i do, and i passed it along to one of my kids. 

i cant speak for anyone else.

« Reply #83 on: May 11, 2007, 05:14:43 PM »
Rev-I didn't really mean to imply in general that time and a half was an unfair advantage, just that in my case I think it would be. I'm also more inclined to try things I can do my whole life (when I need to) such as take a medication, or seclude myself in a private room to get work done.  Maybe I'll change my mind also though, I'm used to writing papers, not taking tests!

Haters/Madness-After spending an extraordinarily exhausting 22 years altering my environment, compensating for the difficulties the ADD caused and sincerely trying harder to concentrate and control the racing thoughts that lead to a lack of focus I am ready to try something new.  My guess is anyone that who has this problem, would feel the same way if they got to this point. I was ready to defer admission to law school because I was just incredibly pessimistic that I wouldn't be able to continue this anymore. However, after I actually addressed the problem I became a lot  more optimistic.

"my child will never take medications for the phantom ADD diagnosis.  would rather alter things in his environment.  such as television, video games, diet, amount of quiet time/concentration time, and offer him mental excersises.  everyone has trouble "concentrating" at times.  Its just that some peoples chemistry actually changes in response to their environment, and that trouble becomes chronic.  but why not change the environment?  the doctors beleive in it argument is pretty draconian.  even within context of the argument about academic steroids..."

It's not fair to expect someone who has ADD to have to try two or three times harder than other people when they could get help. I'm not necessarily saying that I will end up using medication, but it would be silly and masochistic to deny myself medication if it were useful.  Anyone who had been trying to lose weight/control their blood pressure for 22 years, and finally admitted that they were unsuccessful would certainly turn to a pill to get the help they need.  I also just invested about $200 in Franklin Covey crap. :-\

The idea that the environment is the only or main thing that would have an effect on brain chemistry is actually an incredibly outdated view. I mean, you might as well say it's sexual repression and use some Freud on us.  While your environment certainly can influence you, some people's brain chemistry is simply different, this is not a conspiracy by the medical community. 

Er, the use of the word phantom implies that you actually think ADD is imaginary so I'm not sure why you try to deny that. I hope if your child needs help, you will give it to him/her.  It's a really sad thought to think that a child could have an easier time succeeding in life if he or she had a less stubborn parent.

Who knows why the rate of diagnosis has jumped so much?  Perhaps there is less parenting going on, perhaps our society is more sensitive to the needs of what would have traditionally been problem children, I don't know.  I assistant teach kindergarten, and I would never send a five or a six year old to get evaluated for ADD/ADHD at that age, but I hear of this happening frequently, and in my opinion it's just way too young. But obviously, as we all know from our LSAT logic, a rise in diagnoses does not necessarily mean a rise in false diagnoses.

Fifty years ago men outnumbered women 10 to 1 in diagnoses for ADD. This ratio has decreased dramatically as doctors have come to realize that women with ADD simply don't exhibit hyperactivity as often. Like I said, with a sweet smile I got away with absolutely everything I did in high school and middle school, while hyperactive boys were sent directly to the principal's office. It's not that more women had ADD now than they did, simply that doctors are bothering to diagnose them now. (Also women were expected to achieve far less in the fifties).

Sorry for the long winded post if anyone actually got this far!!!  ;D

cui bono?

• blah bliggetty blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 12, 2007, 04:47:36 PM »
Man, there are so many things ppl are "on"-  not just ADD but I do know of folks that are not ADD but have used pills.  Xanex is another one.  I see ppl "jittering". 

But you can debate all day about leveling the playing field..drugs..no drugs...special accomodations... or not.