Law School Discussion

"academic steroids" in law school?

Re: "academic steroids" in law school?
« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2007, 07:15:14 PM »
When professional players are caught using steroids or drugs that illegally enhance their performance, they are stripped of their titles and much respect is lost.  There is something to be said about the natural ability for someone to accomplish great goals.

If you dont have a natural ability to effectively study law, then perhaps you elect a field that is more geared towards the abilities you do possess.

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2007, 07:16:16 PM »
Caveman: I have to say I respect the precision and faith with which you view the law. But I actually think that if Wyoming's code said "I will never disobey the law" it would be more concordant with your views.

Re: jaywalking...Who decides what violations of law are "ridiculous" and immaterial to the oath? You? Well, then I guess you unwittingly share the views of UGA.

==caI==

• dog in a party hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2007, 07:17:05 PM »
Your example sucks.  Obviously jaywalking is a trivial issue.  I was commenting on someone who said that "it's up to each person to determine which laws they choose to break."  It's a completely different issue than your ridiculous example of jaywalking.  If you think that small issues such as jaywalking were at the root of this discussion, you have a muddled sense of perception.     

why is that obvious? 

CavemanLawyer

• Ladies and gentlemen, I'm just a caveman.
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolDigits
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2007, 07:17:43 PM »
When professional players are caught using steroids or drugs that illegally enhance their performance, they are stripped of their titles and much respect is lost.  There is something to be said about the natural ability for someone to accomplish great goals.

If you dont have a natural ability to effectively study law, then perhaps you elect a field that is more geared towards the abilities you do possess.

Agreed

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 10, 2007, 07:18:23 PM »
Your example sucks.  Obviously jaywalking is a trivial issue.  I was commenting on someone who said that "it's up to each person to determine which laws they choose to break."  It's a completely different issue than your ridiculous example of jaywalking.  If you think that small issues such as jaywalking were at the root of this discussion, you have a muddled sense of perception.     

So you put the rabbit in the hat here and then expect us to act surprised when you pull it out?

And I've been to jail for jaywalking.  True story.

Thistle

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 10, 2007, 07:19:03 PM »
When professional players are caught using steroids or drugs that illegally enhance their performance, they are stripped of their titles and much respect is lost.  There is something to be said about the natural ability for someone to accomplish great goals.

i would, but "stealing office supplies" and "making personal phone calls on company time" just don't look good on a resume.

==caI==

• dog in a party hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2007, 07:19:09 PM »

So you put the rabbit in the hat here and then expect us to act surprised when you pull it out?

And I've been to jail for jaywalking.  True story.

was it for the jaywalking or for the fact that you did it naked?

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2007, 07:21:10 PM »
was it for the jaywalking or for the fact that you did it naked?

I'm not kidding.  I've been to jail for jaywalking.  I was tried and convicted after I posted bail.  I appealed and was found guilty on appeal.  I forgot that a 0l like CavemanLawyer had the ability to decide what crimes are trivial when attacking those who consider other crimes trivial.  Watching him argue is like playing tennis against a toddler.  It's cute at first, but now I'm just bored.

CavemanLawyer

• Ladies and gentlemen, I'm just a caveman.
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolDigits
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2007, 07:22:17 PM »

why is that obvious? 

The reason why it's obvious is because if people decided to jaywalk (and used their common sense about it), the stability, peacefulness, and security of the country would not be endangered.  If people held the creed that UGAfan believes and decided that they could choose to break any law they disagreed with willy-nilly, it would be a different story.

H4CS

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2007, 07:23:16 PM »
The reason why it's obvious is because if people decided to jaywalk (and used their common sense about it), the stability, peacefulness, and security of the country would not be endangered.  If people held the creed that UGAfan believes and decided that they could choose to break any law they disagreed with willy-nilly, it would be a different story.

This is so going in my sig.