Law School Discussion

"academic steroids" in law school?

seb7t

• I have measured out my life with coffee spoons.
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Email
"academic steroids" in law school?
« on: May 09, 2007, 06:10:06 PM »
So, this is probably a ridiculous question, but.

Use of Adderall/Ritalin/etc is pretty widespread at my undergraduate school...as I'm sure is true for many LSDers.

I have mixed feelings on the topic-- on one hand, I can't say I've never relied on them when in the occasional "Oh *&^%, what have I been doing all semester" moment. On the other hand, it sucks to think you're competing against kids with a "leg up" on exams, etc.

My question is: with the smaller class size and generally older population in law school, is Adderall as prevalent? Here, it's circulated like candy.

Journeyman

• The road to life.
    • View Profile
Re: "academic steroids" in law school?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 06:12:24 PM »
I've actually heard of it being relatively present in graduate schools.  I don't know about law school in particular, but in general grad schools, it's around.

Journeyman

• The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 06:12:54 PM »
I wonder who the Barry Bonds of your section will be.

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 06:29:34 PM »
I'm curious how often they characterize as "use"- at finals any given semester, I'd say 1/4 of my UG used ritalin/adderall at least once. Then again, it might just be that my friends were all druggies.  :o

boulevardier

• Chicago!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 06:30:46 PM »
Never done it, but I don't think it gives you a leg up on exam performance.  From what I hear, it helps you concentrate; it doesn't make you smarter.

I do know people with ADD that NEED the medication.  They're completely different when they're on it.  In the case of my friend, he becomes sane but once it wears off later in the night he reverts back to a five year old.

Journeyman

• The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 06:32:26 PM »
Never done it, but I don't think it gives you a leg up on exam performance.  From what I hear, it helps you concentrate; it doesn't make you smarter.

I do know people with ADD that NEED the medication.  They're completely different when they're on it.  In the case of my friend, he becomes sane but once it wears off later in the night he reverts back to a five year old.

That's the point though...it doesn't have to make you smarter.  But you are able to study, longer and harder because you aren't distracted as easily.  Which would make it the perfect tool around finals time.

Journeyman

• The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 06:32:55 PM »
Heck....think I just came down with ADHD....(sooo kidding)

CavemanLawyer

• Ladies and gentlemen, I'm just a caveman.
    • View Profile
    • LawSchoolDigits
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 06:45:30 PM »
If you have a legitimate reason to use Ritalin/Adderall in law school, then by all means take it.  But if you're planning on taking it illegally, just remember that this is LAW SCHOOL.  Everyone knows about what everyone else does, so if word gets out that you are using stimulants to get an advantage over others, make sure that there will be vengeful people who will not hesitate to report you to the law school and the bar examiners.  I think using stimulants in law school is unethical, especially since aspiring lawyers should be committed to obeying and upholding the law.  If you're planning on using them, be EXTREMELY careful.  I'm sure Adderall is just as prevalent in law school as it is in UG.  In my opinion it would not be in one's benefit to take it though.  Developing work and study habits, and building up your ability to focus is really important, and you will be at a benefit for doing so.  Law school is meant to prepare you for the practice of law, and if you hone your study and work habits in law school, you will be better off in the real world where the demands for good work habits are just as high or higher.  If you cop out of true study and work habits and rely on Adderall, what will happen to you when there is no Adderall around?  It's not like you're going to be able to take the stuff everyday...   

Journeyman

• The road to life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 06:52:47 PM »
I completely agree...only problem is there will be those crazies who say "Well, if ADD meds get me the BIGLAW job in NYC, then I WILL be able to afford it once I get there".  Those people are really messed up, but hey, it's their life.

boulevardier

• Chicago!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 06:54:21 PM »
Well, others can just study as hard without the medication (barring medical problems requiring that sort of medicine).  While you may do better with it if you otherwise wouldn't have studied as much, it doesn't mean you'll do better than person A or B.

Studying longer and harder doesn't mean studying better.  Also, you can study as much as you'd like, but natural ability kicks in and if you don't have the ability to grasp the material, you're not going to transcend that.

Of course, I could be living in my own naieve little world.  So, I'd prefer it if you didn't bring it down.

Never done it, but I don't think it gives you a leg up on exam performance.  From what I hear, it helps you concentrate; it doesn't make you smarter.

I do know people with ADD that NEED the medication.  They're completely different when they're on it.  In the case of my friend, he becomes sane but once it wears off later in the night he reverts back to a five year old.

That's the point though...it doesn't have to make you smarter.  But you are able to study, longer and harder because you aren't distracted as easily.  Which would make it the perfect tool around finals time.