Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone hear from UVA yet?!  (Read 10621 times)

basal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: anyone hear from UVA yet?!
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2007, 09:05:34 PM »
tag

Money, baby

• You make bunny cry...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 10:42:29 AM »
Yeah, I'm in, with a bit of money, too :)

Congrats! Are you going to take it?
"And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs. And you're thinking to yourself, you don't know what to do, man. "I don't know how to kill the bunny."

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 04:09:53 PM »
Yeah, I'm in, with a bit of money, too :)

Congrats! Are you going to take it?

It's really tempting.  I'm still debating (because I'm still skirting the 'omg, what if I hate law??' issue, especially since all the lawyers I can find to talk to about their jobs are pretty miserable) and the location's not ideal because my SO needs to find work, but he says he'd rather live in Charlottesville than LA (I'm not wild about the thought of either, but the edge goes to LA).

Considering the fact that with the scholarship it's a little bit cheaper than UCLA, and UCLA won't even answer my emails, though, UVA's looking pretty darn good.  It's a leap of faith since I didn't visit, but I hear great things.
U of Chicago 2010.

michelle d

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 04:28:41 PM »
Considering the fact that with the scholarship it's a little bit cheaper than UCLA, and UCLA won't even answer my emails, though, UVA's looking pretty darn good.  It's a leap of faith since I didn't visit, but I hear great things.

I can understand that - the fact that you got a scholarship is awesome, though moving two people cross-country can be expensive. Don't you wish that schools were like jobs and gave out relocation expenses  ::) I do. How much time did they give you to consider? Have you thought about giving UCLA a call and leveraging UVA's scholarship against their offer?

Honestly UCLA is a female dog to deal with.  They haven't returned my emails; I asked for the tuition (it's not posted on their website) and they sent me outdated info, admissions couldn't confirm for me that I'm in-state (I am), etc etc.  Either way we have to relocate across several states, so the cost difference isn't as huge as it would be if we were already near LA.

UVA wants to know Monday afternoon, which probably isn't long enough to get the wheels of bureaucracy going at UCLA on a scholarship.  I've also heard they don't give out the additional funding until June/July.
U of Chicago 2010.

ProfessorPlum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Georgetown Law 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2007, 09:04:31 PM »
Got a voicemail from Dean Trujillo a few days ago; wasn't able to return it right away, but when I called back he asked if I was still interested in UVa.  I told him I was set on attending Georgetown.

Let the record show that non-resident, regular waitlisters can STILL have a great chance at admission to UVa.  Do not give up hope if you're not on a resident or priority WL.
hoia saxa

basal

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2007, 11:16:39 PM »
Thanks! So-- you were non priority, non resident?

BareLeslie

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2007, 04:35:45 AM »
Got a voicemail from Dean Trujillo a few days ago; wasn't able to return it right away, but when I called back he asked if I was still interested in UVa.  I told him I was set on attending Georgetown.

Let the record show that non-resident, regular waitlisters can STILL have a great chance at admission to UVa.  Do not give up hope if you're not on a resident or priority WL.

wow, i can't believe he called. did you send in any LOCI's? i'm starting to think they call the people who perhaps have not kept in contact w/ the school so they can thin out their list if the people on it are not interested. thoughts? good luck w/ GULC!!!

Money, baby

• You make bunny cry...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2007, 10:12:06 AM »
i'm starting to think they call the people who perhaps have not kept in contact w/ the school so they can thin out their list if the people on it are not interested. thoughts?

I doubt it - wouldn't they just call or send a letter asking them to reaffirm their interest rather than straight-up offering a spot?
"And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs. And you're thinking to yourself, you don't know what to do, man. "I don't know how to kill the bunny."

waldocat21

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2007, 10:10:39 AM »
Tag

ProfessorPlum

• Sr. Citizen
  • Georgetown Law 2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 28, 2007, 09:35:08 PM »
Thanks! So-- you were non priority, non resident?

Yes, I was.  I sent a LOCI before being waitlisted, saying UVa was my top choice.  This was before I visited Georgetown and changed my mind.  If they had admitted me right off the bat, I would be attending UVa.

I sent nothing after receiving the WL decision; I thought it was a polite rejection.  In regards to BareLeslie's theory, I doubt the director of admissions would be the one calling to reconfirm the interest of random people on the waitlist.

I was a UVa undergrad, just FYI.  I'm sure this helped somewhat, but probably just in my ability to explain why I wanted to return for law school in my early LOCI. 
hoia saxa