Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: anyone hear from UVA yet?!  (Read 10492 times)

m who

• View Profile
Re: anyone hear from UVA yet?!
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2007, 09:53:48 PM »
DCB: How do you know there was a ton of movement on the WL today?

m who

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2007, 12:25:29 AM »
what?

trivialine

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2007, 03:56:53 PM »
el ess en

what?

LSN. Lawschoolnumbers.com.

I am splitter. No word from UVa though. cry.

joe1234

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2007, 06:25:26 PM »
Anyone have any clue why UVA has seen so much WL action? Michigan has seen very little. What could this possibly mean? Does this mean more WL action will continue by them for the next few weeks? thoughts, speculation appreciated.

Uptown *2*L

• Sr. Citizen
  • I speak softly and carry a big stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2007, 06:55:36 PM »
I was priority out-of-state waitlist. I took this as a Y/P rejection and sent nothing further to UVa (I was under the impression that my failure to respond constituted an automatic withdrawal). Apparently

I got my call today; he left a voicemail then called back until I got him in person. My conversation with the Dean of Admissions (I will not attempt to spell his last name here) didn't get far enough to see if it was an official acceptance -- it basically went "hi, thanks so much for calling, but I've made my plans for the fall" -- but I'm counting it as such on LSN. I seriously doubt the Dean would be calling about much else.

It's too bad they accepted me this late. If I'd gotten it earlier in the cycle, I would've visited C-ville (lots of friends from u-grad at UVa) and given it really serious consideration (if they'd matched my $$$). Penn did the same thing. Do these schools not realize that by Y/P dinging, they seriously lose out on some students for whom prestige/ranking is not really a factor in their decision?

I am no longer linking to my LSN profile, but for those who are curious I am 3.58(3.53)/176/HYP and will be attending CLS @ 50% off.

HTH.

motorboatinsonofa

• Sr. Citizen
  • It's all deadly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2007, 10:16:25 PM »
Thanks for the update & good luck at CLS!

As for why U.Va is seeing so much WL action, I have no idea. Could be their yield is down due to the drop in U.S. News rank (though this would be one of the silliest reasons *ever* for a decrease in yield, since U.Va is just as great of a law school this year as it was last year...). There could be other factors as well, such as a smaller overall applicant pool. Whatever the case, I hope they have more calls left to make!

here here...and hopefully some love left for instaters :)
1L

nonunique

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2007, 10:25:26 PM »
I was one of those people that got called yesterday. They've given me until Friday to decide...VERY short timetable.

As for calls, The Friday deadline means there may be more calls next week. Also, I think their second deposit deadline is in two weeks, so more calls may be coming mid-June.

GL, all!
Attending: NU($)!!!
In: UVa($), GW, WUSL, WF, GM, Cardozo, DePaul($$)
WL: Columbia, Duke, Penn, UCLA, W&M
Out: Harvard, Stanford, Boalt, NYU, GULC, Chicago, Texas, Michigan, UWash, Cornell, UNC

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=non

IF

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • LSN
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2007, 10:41:05 PM »
This is most likely speculation, but I was told that they accepted much fewer applicants right off the bat this year.  This was because the past few years had a ton of ppl accept, and thereby had larger classes than they wanted.  So this year they went slower in the acceptances.

I've seen quite a few ppl on here say that they were concerned with the USNWR drop.  Others that it was too relaxed, frattish, etc.

Combined, this might explain a little bit.  Best of luck to all of you; glad to see some ppl excited about it!
UVA, 2010

It's the place.

Money, baby

• You make bunny cry...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2007, 09:40:58 AM »
I was one of those people that got called yesterday. They've given me until Friday to decide...VERY short timetable.

Nonunique, did you tell them no off the bat? Or are you waiting until Friday to tell them? Just curious since your LSN profile says you withdrew.   
"And you're looking at your claws and you're looking at your fangs. And you're thinking to yourself, you don't know what to do, man. "I don't know how to kill the bunny."

nonunique

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2007, 09:45:35 AM »
I'm waiting until Friday because I still have some questions. I was actually about to withdraw from the WL when they called, which is why the LSN profile still says W. Sorry about that! ;)

I'm hoping to talk to Trujillo today so that I can make a decision ASAP.
Attending: NU($)!!!
In: UVa($), GW, WUSL, WF, GM, Cardozo, DePaul($$)
WL: Columbia, Duke, Penn, UCLA, W&M
Out: Harvard, Stanford, Boalt, NYU, GULC, Chicago, Texas, Michigan, UWash, Cornell, UNC

http://www.lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=non