Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Black Men Thread  (Read 114705 times)

Justiceforall

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Men Thread
« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2007, 12:03:28 PM »
Yeah I remember (of course, I was alive back then) when John Kennedy was running for President and him being Catholic was a big big deal during the 1960 election. He told the world that he wasn't running to be the Catholic candidate for President of the United States, he was running to be the Democratic Party's candidate for President and he just happened to be Catholic.

Obviously I care about social justice, gender equality and human rights, but I don't think that Obama should be held to an impossible standard because he is Black. This guy is in it to win it and in my opinion, he seems to have the correct sensibilities on those tough social justice issues. That is what I'm looking for in a candidate.

That being said, I'm probably going to support Hillary.

LOL well tell you the truth I don't see much of a diffrence they both come from the same corporate wing of the democratic party
Live The Dream....

Made In America...

The LSAT score usually factors in about 60% of the reason a law school would or would not admit you..be safe ...get a perfect score-Me

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2007, 12:05:24 PM »
Yeah I remember (of course, I was alive back then) when John Kennedy was running for President and him being Catholic was a big big deal during the 1960 election. He told the world that he wasn't running to be the Catholic candidate for President of the United States, he was running to be the Democratic Party's candidate for President and he just happened to be Catholic.

Obviously I care about social justice, gender equality and human rights, but I don't think that Obama should be held to an impossible standard because he is Black. This guy is in it to win it and in my opinion, he seems to have the correct sensibilities on those tough social justice issues. That is what I'm looking for in a candidate.

well said.  I probably will be voting for Hillary as well, if I even vote - I just registered. However, I am having a real hard time liking any of these people.  I can't get the image of Obama speaking to South Carolina State out of my head.  I keep hearing that feigned black/southern/colloquial tone he was trying to use.  It was wrong on soooo many levels, and it just reinforces how I feel about the guy and his image.  It just gives me this creepy crawly feeling.  I don't trust him.  Rather, I don't trust any of them, but with Obama, I don't even know what to expect.  someone hit me with some Obama-mania so I'm not a sell out for not voting for the black guy...      
The Tragicomic: Itís embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace oneís worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2007, 12:36:58 PM »
Jesse is not the president of black america; black america has no president.  Black america has many diffrent political leaders but there is no elected office that speaks on behalf of black people. (with the exception of the congressional black caucuss but even still they are limited in their advocacy of the black community) The concerns of white people are not the same concerns of black people. Black people (or people of color in general) have come from a diffrent history, background, and culture. Many people of color come from a diffrent economic class, and have suffered opression perputated by a white dominant structure.

Yeah, you preaching to the choir. The Jesse thing was a joke. Apparently, I'm the only one laughin'.

What I consider selling out is when you have to cater to other "masters" rather then your own independant voice and the people you are supposed to represent.

Who are these people? And if by that you mean black people, does George Bush only represent white people? And if you believe he does, is that the way it should be?

I don't think black people get anywhere by only representing black interests.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

FrankWhite

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2007, 12:57:02 PM »
Whats up everybody... good to see other brothers in/heading to law school. I'm attending Emory myself this fall. I haven't read every single post but I will agree with others in saying that Obama is running to WIN. People don't want to constantly hear about his race. If I were Obama and I looked at all the past failed black presidential campaigns and saw what wasn't working why would I do it myself? Obama is killin em man I hope he goes all the way. But If he doesnt Ill be perfectly happy with Hillary lol. She's like the ice queen calcuated politican from hell lol.
Emory Law Class of 2010

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2007, 01:06:35 PM »

Why Hillary?
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

Justiceforall

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 10, 2007, 01:06:47 PM »
Jesse is not the president of black america; black america has no president.  Black america has many diffrent political leaders but there is no elected office that speaks on behalf of black people. (with the exception of the congressional black caucuss but even still they are limited in their advocacy of the black community) The concerns of white people are not the same concerns of black people. Black people (or people of color in general) have come from a diffrent history, background, and culture. Many people of color come from a diffrent economic class, and have suffered opression perputated by a white dominant structure.

Yeah, you preaching to the choir. The Jesse thing was a joke. Apparently, I'm the only one laughin'.

What I consider selling out is when you have to cater to other "masters" rather then your own independant voice and the people you are supposed to represent.

Who are these people? And if by that you mean black people, does George Bush only represent white people? And if you believe he does, is that the way it should be?

Corporations, the same corporations that fund George Bush (the defense industry, tobacco industry, pharmaceutical companies, jesus christ industry, which are extremely monolithic i e white etc)  and no it should not be that way...a president (or any public official) should represent the people not corporations.  Black people get plenty of places representing black interest (ex the civil rights movement,  NAACP, Urban League, movements that cater towards  African Americans becoming  land owners, Morehouse, associations for black entrepreneurship, Black legal societies (even this message board), African-American Male initiatives, etc).

A good example on how I can easily dismiss obama is pretty clear..heres but one example..

We agree that racial profiling is a bad thing (I'm assuming you do) and that cops doing this should be penalized... ask barack the next time you see him (if he comes to your area on a speaking tour) If he would issue a executive order to outlaw racial profiling...I can guarantee you his answer would be no..why because it is not politically advantageous for him to do so..even though doing so would help the minority community tremendously (ie opening up the potential for law suits, punitive damages, help address the birth to prison pipeline occurring in the minority community right now and this racist criminal justice system).. that is what I mean by selling out and having other masters if he was to do so..it would risk his potential for being elected "President Of The United States"  as a realist I can't fault him he is a politician but as a human rights activist he gets a failing grade.

Hence I said he has the mariah carey syndrome only black when it is neccessary "you can't be to pro-black if you want to become president of the united states"  Heck, you probaly can't be to pro-black if you want to get into some of these ivy league law schools. As brilliant as the man was, I doubt they would ever let someone  like Malcolm X into Yale.
Live The Dream....

Made In America...

The LSAT score usually factors in about 60% of the reason a law school would or would not admit you..be safe ...get a perfect score-Me

Kirk Lazarus

• Sr. Citizen
  • I'm a lead farmer, mofo
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2007, 01:18:55 PM »

Corporations, the same corporations that fund George Bush (the defense industry, tobacco industry, pharmaceutical companies, jesus christ industry, which are extremely monolithic i e white etc)  and no it should not be that way...a president (or any public official) should represent the people not corporations.  Black people get plenty of places representing black interest (ex the civil rights movement,  NAACP, Urban League, movements that cater towards  African Americans becoming  land owners, Morehouse, associations for black entrepreneurship, Black legal societies (even this message board), African-American Male initiatives, etc).

A good example on how I can easily dismiss obama is pretty clear..heres but one example..

We agree that racial profiling is a bad thing (I'm assuming you do) and that cops doing this should be penalized... ask barack the next time you see him (if he comes to your area on a speaking tour) If he would issue a executive order to outlaw racial profiling...I can guarantee you his answer would be no..why because it is not politically advantageous for him to do so..even though doing so would help the minority community tremendously (ie opening up the potential for law suits, punitive damages, help address the birth to prison pipeline occurring in the minority community right now and this racist criminal justice system).. that is what I mean by selling out and having other masters if he was to do so..it would risk his potential for being elected "President Of The United States"  as a realist I can't fault him he is a politician but as a human rights activist he gets a failing grade.

Hence I said he has the mariah carey syndrome only black when it is neccessary "you can't be to pro-black if you want to become president of the united states"  Heck, you probaly can't be to pro-black if you want to get into some of these ivy league law schools. As brilliant as the man was, I doubt they would ever let someone  like Malcolm X into Yale.

I take exception to this comment.
YLS c/o 2009

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 10, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »

Why Hillary?

I don't know why bond would vote for her, but I'm leaning in her direction because she is predictable.  Also, Clintons are good.  For all this talk about some policies Clinton passed that may have "sold us out", and I guess those policies are highlighted to point out some sort of irony, the country did well under him.  Black people thrived, and the element of American society that has driven us to war, bigotry, borderline fascism, and an overall dumbing down, was marginalized in much the same way liberals are marginalized now.  They were crazy right wingers under the Clintons, and were part of some "conspiracy group", now, it is merely America and what we have become.  The whole mood of the country has shifted.  

I don't see Obama as a good foil.  They say he is fresh, and having a person of color as prez would definately be new, but I don't think he has the substance, balls, cojones - however you want to put it - to keep that element that has led this country to damnation, in their place.  I see those people becoming stronger, more emboldened, and even worse under his reign.  And four years later we will be even worse off; after an ineffective term, and the inevitable backlash.  I think Hillary can stave this off, and down the line we will be better off for having her as president.  Not to mention she is absolutely brilliant, and has B Clinton right behind her.  

All that said, I'm so sick of American politics; I'm finding it hard to get excited about voting.    
The Tragicomic: Itís embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace oneís worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 10, 2007, 01:44:24 PM »
ask barack the next time you see him (if he comes to your area on a speaking tour) If he would issue a executive order to outlaw racial profiling...I can guarantee you his answer would be no..

ACLU of Illinois Announces Full Support for Legislation to Study Racial Profiling (1/17/2000)

To remedy the problem of racial profiling in Illinois, the ACLU is endorsing a proposal, Senate Bill 1324 filed last week by state Senator Barack Obama (D-Chicago), requiring all law enforcement agencies in the state to gather and report data about the race and ethnicity of all motorists they stop for traffic violations - whether police issue a citation or warning. The information about traffic stops would be collected at the county level and reported to the Illinois Secretary of State, whose office will analyze the data for trends and make a report about evidence of racial profiling to the General Assembly.

why because it is not politically advantageous for him to do so..

"Democratic presidential contender Barack Obama says his campaign has raised $25 million in the first three months of this year." (Hearld Globe, 4/4/07)

Looks like it's working out for him.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2007, 01:52:14 PM »
ask barack the next time you see him (if he comes to your area on a speaking tour) If he would issue a executive order to outlaw racial profiling...I can guarantee you his answer would be no..

ACLU of Illinois Announces Full Support for Legislation to Study Racial Profiling (1/17/2000)

To remedy the problem of racial profiling in Illinois, the ACLU is endorsing a proposal, Senate Bill 1324 filed last week by state Senator Barack Obama (D-Chicago), requiring all law enforcement agencies in the state to gather and report data about the race and ethnicity of all motorists they stop for traffic violations - whether police issue a citation or warning. The information about traffic stops would be collected at the county level and reported to the Illinois Secretary of State, whose office will analyze the data for trends and make a report about evidence of racial profiling to the General Assembly.

why because it is not politically advantageous for him to do so..

"Democratic presidential contender Barack Obama says his campaign has raised $25 million in the first three months of this year." (Hearld Globe, 4/4/07)

Looks like it's working out for him.

checkmate