Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Black Men Thread  (Read 113716 times)

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Men Thread
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2007, 02:23:02 PM »
Any of these clowns trying to use a "Southern drawl" to try to woo Southern voters (which they likely won't get anyway) angers me.  Just be real with people, if it gets you the votes, fine...if it doesn't it doesnt.  That's why I depise Hillary, and I'll sooner vote for Mitt before I vote for her.

Ok. I'll give you that one. Hillary's rendition of James Cleveland's "Ain't No Ways Tired" kept me laughing for days. I don't knock it too much though. I don't really care how they say it, just as long as their actions back it up.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2007, 02:23:59 PM »
ask barack the next time you see him (if he comes to your area on a speaking tour) If he would issue a executive order to outlaw racial profiling...I can guarantee you his answer would be no..

ACLU of Illinois Announces Full Support for Legislation to Study Racial Profiling (1/17/2000)

To remedy the problem of racial profiling in Illinois, the ACLU is endorsing a proposal, Senate Bill 1324 filed last week by state Senator Barack Obama (D-Chicago), requiring all law enforcement agencies in the state to gather and report data about the race and ethnicity of all motorists they stop for traffic violations - whether police issue a citation or warning. The information about traffic stops would be collected at the county level and reported to the Illinois Secretary of State, whose office will analyze the data for trends and make a report about evidence of racial profiling to the General Assembly.

why because it is not politically advantageous for him to do so..

"Democratic presidential contender Barack Obama says his campaign has raised $25 million in the first three months of this year." (Hearld Globe, 4/4/07)

Looks like it's working out for him.

PWN3D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 10, 2007, 02:31:14 PM »
Well I can assume otherwise since I've seen him be both anti-war democrat and the conservative democrat depending on whoever the audience is (as someone pointed out..intresting JFK refrence ..you'd think he was catholic the way he tries to appeal to the masses)

But where are his contradictions? Example: If you're going to talk to a group of enviormentalists, the speech shouldn't be about racial profiling. Speakers tailor the speeches to their audiences and as long as there aren't any contradictions between speeches, I don't see the problem.

Well what do you think John Kerry did after the 04 election with all his campaign contributions?

pay campaign bills.
It is easy to change the language of oppression without changing the sociopolitical situation of its victims.

blk_reign

• LSD Obsessed
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2007, 02:34:12 PM »
ok chiming in...

the state of the black union that airs every yr is a joke... @ this point it's just a bunch of black folk talking... there hasn't been a strong panel since Feb 02 with Johnnetta B Cole.... i applaud him for going to Springfield to announce his candidacy on that day in February... So tell me.. what's best for "his community" ? are you aware of what he's done for "his community" in Chicago? some of his joint efforts with Rev Jeremiah A Wright? probably not...

and there's no way on this great Earth that he'll win anything without the vote of  "white folk"... I know you can't possibly think that "black folk's" vote is enough... and honestly.. what are you expecting him to do? Be the next Huey Newton or Malcolm X (no disrespect to either of them just so you know)?? it's a dirty game that we have to play and whatever radical views one may have-- they're only going to get you so far... Radical moves aren't going to pay the bills...

and I'd rather see a Black man or woman use the resources that (s)he may have than sit on the corner with a bullhorn talking about how the revolution won't be televised instead of taking ACTION to actually make the "revolution" happen...

If our ideas and charisma were enough then there would be no need for us to go to law school (or any other schooling for that matter) to get where we want to be.. and be the change that we desire to see in this world...

and I'm sorry.. are we forgetting that Obama is bi-racial?? regardless of anything is he just supposed to turn his back on that part of his heritage? does he have to disown being part caucasian   in order to be accepted by the black masses?

we're damned if we do damned if we don't...

so is Cornel West a "sell out" for saying he'd never teach at a HBCU because it's too demanding and he wouldn't have the opportunity to have speaking engagements (which btw he charges Black Student Unions a minimum of 15k to do)? or is he ok because he has a fro, a poetry CD and speaks in profound prose? which impresses both the learned and unlearned-- however how much of that does the unlearned black community actually comprehend??

Well obama is a politican..and the fact he missed the state of the black union address to cater to "white folk" who are behind him makes me slam him..he is a sell out...and yes it is selling out when rather then doing what is best for your community you play the politics of mass appeal. THere is no "changing the system from within" in D.C.  I don't care what his accomplishments were in law school. Alan Dershowitz is argubaly a much more distinguished legal scholar then him I respect his as a law student  but he would never get my vote... but enough of me talking I will let Cornel West break it down for yall :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXj3_pjTTwg

P.S.

Baracks got the "mariah carey" syndrome..only black when it is necessary  ::)
We're not accepting this CHANGE UP in the rules. Period. American presidents have been in the bed with organized crime, corporate pilferers, and the like for years. And all u want to put on this man is that his pastor said "Gotdamn America?" Hell, America.U got off pretty damn well, if you ask me...

7S

• Sr. Citizen
  • Self-determination.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 10, 2007, 02:38:30 PM »
the state of the black union that airs every yr is a joke... @ this point it's just a bunch of black folk talking...

Wasn't gonna go there, but I was thinking it.  ::)

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Global Moderator
  • LSD Obsessed
  • Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 10, 2007, 02:46:05 PM »
Well I can assume otherwise since I've seen him be both anti-war democrat and the conservative democrat depending on whoever the audience is (as someone pointed out..intresting JFK refrence ..you'd think he was catholic the way he tries to appeal to the masses)

But where are his contradictions? Example: If you're going to talk to a group of enviormentalists, the speech shouldn't be about racial profiling. Speakers tailor the speeches to their audiences and as long as there aren't any contradictions between speeches, I don't see the problem.

Hold up hold up hold up.  Justice you seem like a cool guy from what I've seen so far, but if this were a court of law, Seventhson just defeated your motion to dismiss.

You made an argument that Obama, as a politician, would not take a stand against racial issues for fear of losing his political footing and therefore he is a sell out.

Seventhson just produced evidence that tends to strongly suggest that not only would Obama, as a politician, take a stand against racial issues, but in fact, he already has.

Going into this field, lesson #1 is to check emotion at the door and relegate yourself to take a logical look at the facts only.  Based on these facts, your original argument against Obama is not supported by a preponderance of the evidence (if I may borrow that term of art here  ;) ).

"A lawyer's either a social engineer or a parasite on society. A social engineer is a highly skilled...lawyer who understands the Constitution of the U.S. and knows how to explore its uses in the solving of problems of local communities and in bettering [our] conditions."
Charles H. Houston

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2007, 03:23:31 PM »

You never really stated what made Obama a sellout, other than that he chose not to go the State of Black America "conference".
[/quote]

I was trying to be subtle, but yeah, that bull that Tavis Smiley does every year is a f'n farce. Actually, the show he does everyday isn't too far behind on the farcical level either, but that's another topic.

Justiceforall

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2007, 03:28:02 PM »
ok chiming in...

the state of the black union that airs every yr is a joke... @ this point it's just a bunch of black folk talking... there hasn't been a strong panel since Feb 02 with Johnnetta B Cole.... i applaud him for going to Springfield to announce his candidacy on that day in February... So tell me.. what's best for "his community" ? are you aware of what he's done for "his community" in Chicago? some of his joint efforts with Rev Jeremiah A Wright? probably not...

and there's no way on this great Earth that he'll win anything without the vote of  "white folk"... I know you can't possibly think that "black folk's" vote is enough... and honestly.. what are you expecting him to do? Be the next Huey Newton or Malcolm X (no disrespect to either of them just so you know)?? it's a dirty game that we have to play and whatever radical views one may have-- they're only going to get you so far... Radical moves aren't going to pay the bills...

and I'd rather see a Black man or woman use the resources that (s)he may have than sit on the corner with a bullhorn talking about how the revolution won't be televised instead of taking ACTION to actually make the "revolution" happen...

If our ideas and charisma were enough then there would be no need for us to go to law school (or any other schooling for that matter) to get where we want to be.. and be the change that we desire to see in this world...

and I'm sorry.. are we forgetting that Obama is bi-racial?? regardless of anything is he just supposed to turn his back on that part of his heritage? does he have to disown being part caucasian   in order to be accepted by the black masses?

we're damned if we do damned if we don't...

so is Cornel West a "sell out" for saying he'd never teach at a HBCU because it's too demanding and he wouldn't have the opportunity to have speaking engagements (which btw he charges Black Student Unions a minimum of 15k to do)? or is he ok because he has a fro, a poetry CD and speaks in profound prose? which impresses both the learned and unlearned-- however how much of that does the unlearned black community actually comprehend??

Well obama is a politican..and the fact he missed the state of the black union address to cater to "white folk" who are behind him makes me slam him..he is a sell out...and yes it is selling out when rather then doing what is best for your community you play the politics of mass appeal. THere is no "changing the system from within" in D.C.  I don't care what his accomplishments were in law school. Alan Dershowitz is argubaly a much more distinguished legal scholar then him I respect his as a law student  but he would never get my vote... but enough of me talking I will let Cornel West break it down for yall :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HXj3_pjTTwg

P.S.

Baracks got the "mariah carey" syndrome..only black when it is necessary  ::)

Plenty of people take action for social justice. I've seen activism in most of my undergraduate education. I've been to plenty of organized events with people from a variety of ages, races, income backgrounds, etc advocating stances which I have not seen Obama advocate. These people to me have a much better direction of where the country can go versus Obama, Clinton, Edwards, etc. If the game is dirty then don't play it transcend it..social movements are not built based on electoral votes but on organizing people behind issues..and personally  Barack is just to centrist for my political radar. He is a politican? yes.. articulate? yes  educated? yes.. charasmatic? yes... (and wow he made harvard law review) but he is far to reformist for my taste, he is not revolutionary, he doesn't have the zeal which I believe is needed for radical change..in the end all I see is someone who tries to please everybody and change will come at a destructive compromise. That is not my approach nor the approach of those I look up too.  Radical views may not "pay the bills" but it can change a country. I think radicalism is what this country needs rather then the constant ensuring of the status quo.  (which includes getting a "black man" into Airforce one  as if that is some sort of achievment for all black people.  Obama is not the political leader I would ask black people to support because in the end he has to cater to other peoples intrest.

Bottom line you don't have to be in electoral politics to make change and just the fact that he went on a path towards the executive branch already shows he has compromised a lot. He is not in  the pursuit of social justice, he is in pursuit of the U.S. presidency.
Live The Dream....

Made In America...

The LSAT score usually factors in about 60% of the reason a law school would or would not admit you..be safe ...get a perfect score-Me

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2007, 03:32:19 PM »
Question to everyone calling Tavis a farce and having negative things to say about a group of black people coming together to talk about issues they deem important: are there any black people doing anything positive to help out our communities?  Or are they all just anonymous grass roots people, or named Barack Obama?
The Tragicomic: Itís embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace oneís worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

Justiceforall

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2007, 03:33:41 PM »

Hold up hold up hold up.  Justice you seem like a cool guy from what I've seen so far, but if this were a court of law, Seventhson just defeated your motion to dismiss.

You made an argument that Obama, as a politician, would not take a stand against racial issues for fear of losing his political footing and therefore he is a sell out.

Seventhson just produced evidence that tends to strongly suggest that not only would Obama, as a politician, take a stand against racial issues, but in fact, he already has.

Going into this field, lesson #1 is to check emotion at the door and relegate yourself to take a logical look at the facts only.  Based on these facts, your original argument against Obama is not supported by a preponderance of the evidence (if I may borrow that term of art here  ;) ).

preponderance of evidence? all I see cited is draft legislation from the upper chamber. My argument was based on his response to a question. The question was "If you were president of the United States would you issue a executive order to make racial profiling illegal" I have not seen anything posted that has answered the stated question.  I never said he would NEVER take a stand on racial issues. I said his stance on racial issues would only go so far. (just like Bill Clinton) hence I believe he would not do what my question states simply for the fact that it would be far to "radical" for a democrat trying to become the U.S. president to do. (Now if someone post something that says he would pass the executive order then I stand corrected).  No emotion is behind my statements just looking for the "evidence" (and I didn't need law school to learn that) :P  If this was the LSAT I would be looking for "the most correct answer" and it would not be what has been supplied thus far.
Live The Dream....

Made In America...

The LSAT score usually factors in about 60% of the reason a law school would or would not admit you..be safe ...get a perfect score-Me