Law School Discussion

The Black Men Thread

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Men Thread
« Reply #2810 on: January 02, 2008, 02:24:47 PM »
he did say it but so what every rapper thinks hes the best the rapper....why else would you rap if you didn't think you were the best....who cares....kanye is a genius period...not to mention all the other rappers who rode his beats to the top....hating on kanye be for real....and that whole beans beef was ridiculous....if that dumb n word could stay outta jail he might reach kanye's status in like 20 years maybe....
Not hate.  I said he's a great lyricist.  I think he's a very good rapper... and an even better producer.
Genius, though?  That word gets thrown around way too often.  Kanye aint no genius.  He just has a good ear.
good ear? so does dr dre just have a good ear as well?

I happen to prefer Kanye to Dre, but that's just me.

I should give Kanye more credit. I just think the term "genius" gets thrown about too freely.  Still, Kanye is a true hip hop artist.  He has an artistic vision and sees it through to fruition without compromising or contaminating it with non-artistic motives or interests.  And, in this, he happens also to produce music that is palatable for the masses.  This type of artistry is so rare in hip hop these days that I can see why he gets called a genius. 

exactly my point he's not a musical genius by any means but in his genre definately

« Reply #2811 on: January 03, 2008, 11:36:38 AM »
Can the westcoast get some love over here...? I'm a bit bias.  Not a Kanye fan, although I do respect him and think he's very talented.  I would have to say my favorite rapper from the east coast would be beans, fab, or cassidy.

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: January 03, 2008, 12:42:48 PM »
Can the westcoast get some love over here...? I'm a bit bias.  Not a Kanye fan, although I do respect him and think he's very talented.  I would have to say my favorite rapper from the east coast would be beans, fab, or cassidy.

dre day all day baby....i hope detox comes out before i die...as a native east coaster not really a fan of any of those dudes though fabs okay....im old school so i don't really like most of the young rappin' bout drugs and money dudes...so im still on the nas, jay z ("ice, weed, f, ish and all that ignant ish you like"), weezy, T.I. etc.

« Reply #2813 on: January 03, 2008, 01:22:24 PM »
Did you like the blue carpet treatment??? I thought it was snoop's best cd in a while.  The Detox was supposed to come out ten years ago...lol...Hopefully soon...though..Yea I like Wayne, Jeezy, Scarface, Gucci etc....

Burning Sands, Esq.

• Yes We Kan-sas!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: January 03, 2008, 02:01:57 PM »

dre day all day baby....i hope detox comes out before i die...as a native east coaster not really a fan of any of those dudes though fabs okay....im old school so i don't really like most of the young rappin' bout drugs and money dudes...so im still on the nas, jay z ("ice, weed, f, ish and all that ignant ish you like"), weezy, T.I. etc.

Hey I'm not a fan of all that ignant down south mess either, but giving props where props are due, Lil' Wayne is NICE with his on the mic, son.  The boy's skills are to be respected.

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: January 03, 2008, 02:24:54 PM »
Did you like the blue carpet treatment??? I thought it was snoop's best cd in a while.  The Detox was supposed to come out ten years ago...lol...Hopefully soon...though..Yea I like Wayne, Jeezy, Scarface, Gucci etc....

can't says i do...snoop is corny to me bru...and that 70s pimp stuff was played out bout 8 years ago...i do like scarface  he's old school and the only southern rapper i would name for years... "my mind is playing tricks on me" is one of my all time favorites

« Reply #2816 on: January 03, 2008, 02:37:30 PM »
There's a reason to why Snoop's Blue Carpet Treatment is up for album of the year...I guess it just depends on where you were raised and the environment.  To us over here, we really don't feel Lupe.  I used to like Nas, but didn't care for his last album...

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: January 03, 2008, 03:33:18 PM »
There's a reason to why Snoop's Blue Carpet Treatment is up for album of the year...I guess it just depends on where you were raised and the environment.  To us over here, we really don't feel Lupe.  I used to like Nas, but didn't care for his last album...

i don't feel lupe either....he's not all that over here either...some people like him but there are just a few cats tryna crown him

« Reply #2818 on: January 04, 2008, 05:58:03 AM »
I liked "Dumb It Down" a lot. One of the best hip hop joints I've heard in a while.

On Snoop, though, the stuff from Blue Carpet Treatment that I heard was very good, production-wise. I'm not motivated to check the whole album out, though, because I really don't care for Snoop as a rapper. I can't say I really care for the west coast style in general (unless you count people like Madlib and them)... or the south aside from Outkast. I respect the talents of Wayne, TI, Luda, even Three 6 and others, but I don't think that I could bear to listen to a whole south album front to back... except for Outkast of course.

« Reply #2819 on: January 04, 2008, 11:11:15 AM »

I'm a NYer and yeah, I don't feel Snoop at all. There's a couple singles of his that I like, but I can't really get into his music. My boys out of Chi that I know really feel Lupe and I do too mainly because I can relate to the ish he's talkin about, same with Kanye.