Law School Discussion

The Black Men Thread

Statistic

• I never had a chance
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Men Thread
« Reply #2790 on: December 11, 2007, 07:44:25 PM »
How many bags does this chick need? She havin a sleepover?

« Reply #2791 on: December 26, 2007, 10:59:06 AM »
Lupe Fiasco-"The Cool"...thoughts? It might be album of the year for me, which to this point was "Graduation."

Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #2792 on: December 28, 2007, 05:25:11 PM »
Lupe Fiasco-"The Cool"...thoughts? It might be album of the year for me, which to this point was "Graduation."

I know I've wandered into the wrong thread... But this album is incredible.

Definitely. Put you on game is the truth

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2793 on: December 28, 2007, 05:47:43 PM »
not hating but as a old head lupe is been there done that for me, its just rehashed tribe, or old school "i used to love her" common, or the pharcyde or a thousand other classic early 90s rappers, i can understand why ya'll young cats think he's the truth compared to a lot of the garbage out now but its just eeeeh to me....

Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #2794 on: December 28, 2007, 05:50:50 PM »
not hating but as a old head lupe is been there done that for me, its just rehashed tribe, or old school "i used to love her" common, or the pharcyde or a thousand other classic early 90s rappers, i can understand why ya'll young cats think he's the truth compared to a lot of the garbage out now but its just eeeeh to me....

Did you say before that you think Kanye is better?

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2795 on: December 28, 2007, 06:12:09 PM »

for sure...kanye west is on another level (though not the greatest rapper)...if you've heard tribe called quest, or early Nas, or anything by the pharcyde you've heard lupe fiasco except hes not as good as any of those guys....keeping it really real i prefer weezy to lupe fiasco just on the lyrical

Leo

• View Profile
« Reply #2796 on: December 28, 2007, 07:39:42 PM »
for sure...kanye west is on another level (though not the greatest rapper)
On another level of what? Production? That's the only thing I can imagine you're talking about. Sure he's a great producer - but even then he's not the best (see neptunes, timbaland, and even 9th wonder). But we're comparing rap artists as whole right now, or so I thought.

if you've heard tribe called quest, or early Nas, or anything by the pharcyde you've heard lupe fiasco except hes not as good as any of those guys.
Yeah he's definitely not as good as the above, but I'm only comparing him to current mainstream artists.

...keeping it really real i prefer weezy to lupe fiasco just on the lyrical

:o :o :o I'm in disbelief right now. You're comparing Lil Wayne and Lupe? On lyricism?

« Reply #2797 on: December 29, 2007, 08:47:27 AM »

for sure...kanye west is on another level (though not the greatest rapper)...if you've heard tribe called quest, or early Nas, or anything by the pharcyde you've heard lupe fiasco except hes not as good as any of those guys....keeping it really real i prefer weezy to lupe fiasco just on the lyrical

Never listened to ATCQ, but I've been a Nas fan for a long time and I really like Common as well, but to me...what you're saying is kind of like saying Lebron James is a great SF, but he's no Oscar Robertson or Albert Pujols is a great hitter, but he's no Ted Williams. Not being as good as one of the best ever (re: Nas) isn't that much of an indictment. And while I love Kanye...if you think that as a rapper Kanye is better than Lupe...you're buggin. If you think as an artist he's better? Sure. If you think he's better at making catchy songs? Sure. If you think he's a better rapper? Chill. Same with Weezy.

jarhead

• "i keeps it reeaal!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2798 on: December 29, 2007, 12:12:25 PM »

Never listened to ATCQ, but I've been a Nas fan for a long time and I really like Common as well, but to me...what you're saying is kind of like saying Lebron James is a great SF, but he's no Oscar Robertson or Albert Pujols is a great hitter, but he's no Ted Williams. Not being as good as one of the best ever (re: Nas) isn't that much of an indictment. And while I love Kanye...if you think that as a rapper Kanye is better than Lupe...you're buggin. If you think as an artist he's better? Sure. If you think he's better at making catchy songs? Sure. If you think he's a better rapper? Chill. Same with Weezy.

look man, im 34 years old an old head so i grew up listening to the best....no kanye is not the best lyricist didn't say he was...i said i prefer kanye to lupe, meaning if i could only buy on cd it would be kanye 'cause i can get what lupe brings from kanye can't get what kanye brings from lupe....kanye west is a genius you can't deny it...he's closer to my age and i relate to him "everything i'm not makes me everything i am etc."....lupe fiasco is not touching him period....the dude is ok, im not saying i don't like him just calm down with all this best rapper nonsense cause he's not and he's not that original his style is aight i think common is better and i'm not a big common fan either....lupe is not anything i haven't heard before he's just the one doing it lately.....he's refreshing yes...but he's just ok to me....but comparing him to kanye is ridiculous....before kanye nobody was doing what kanye does period....can't say that about lupe...he's ok but save the best rap/rapper album nonsense because its not.....what till nword comes out

« Reply #2799 on: December 31, 2007, 07:18:58 AM »
seriously.. u can never be a lover of hip hop without ever hearing a tribe album... i'm shocked..

Back in `89 I simply slid into place
Buddy, Buddy, Buddy all up in your face
Alot of kids was bustin' rhymes but they had no taste
Some said Quest was Wack, but now is that the case
I have a quest to have a mic' in my hand
Without that, it's like Kryptonite and Superman