Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The Black Men Thread  (Read 115689 times)

Special Agent Dana Scully

• LSD Obsessed
  • aka MCB
    • View Profile
Re: The Black Men Thread
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2007, 09:11:52 AM »
Also, I hope I don't run into chickas looking for their MRS degree because marriage is akin to retirement..I still want to do the young black rich single lawyer thing...(*thinks about trips to Thailand, Brazil, Costa Rica)  ...exotic gulf, exotic women and sport fishing sounds like a plan!

Dude, 90% of your posts indicate you're living in some fantasy world with fairies and elves.

dead
Columbia 3L

Justiceforall

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2007, 09:12:27 AM »
Also, I hope I don't run into chickas looking for their MRS degree because marriage is akin to retirement..I still want to do the young black rich single lawyer thing...(*thinks about trips to Thailand, Brazil, Costa Rica)  ...exotic gulf, exotic women and sport fishing sounds like a plan!

Dude, 90% of your posts indicate you're living in some fantasy world with fairies and elves.

lmao

yeah, I had to laugh at that too.  it was screwed up though.  oddly enough, hes right about the marriage part.  further, ixnay on the "boink buddies".  I'm going to be a monk.  One that studies the law, and nothing else. The vacationing bit sounds nice, too.  marriage not happening for another 6 years.  yeah, a brother got a plan.

And you should have known better than to start a thread about black men, call obama a sell out, and expect the thread to remain being about black men.  It's official, I DISLIKE ALL THE CANDIDATES!!! 

Plus I was watching the republican debate and had a horrible premonition: Repubs. will take it in 08'!  *sigh*

Well I encourage political dialouge..Men can talk about politics... Think of this place as a bunch of guys looking over the BBQ :)  Repubs in 08? not unless Iraq becomes a peaceful stablized democracy otherwise republicans are screwed. (hence the democrats are sticking to their guns on the withdrawl date/funding based on future congressional authorization amendments

enh.  Everyone has their hands dirty with Iraq, except Obama and Kucinich; but Obama's black, and Kucinich is never going to win.  Not to mention Americans are notorious for having short memories.  A couple Fox Alerts, some well placed ad's - America will be ready to elect a Republican.  Republicans are already distancing themselves from the war: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/05/09/AR2007050902461.html?hpid=topnews.

we'll see, though.  It was just a premonition, and I do hope you are right.

No matter how far the republicans try to distance themselves they will always be connected to the Iraq war. Even though everyone has their "hands dirty" the only ones who have been trying to sell the war (and are still trying to sell the war) are 95% republican. Granted, I'm not saying the possiblity of a republican presidency is not plausible but with the current political culture I see it as highly unlikely (but then again you never know people would probaly favor Rudy over Barack or Clinton).

Also, I'm not saying kucinich could ever win but I think his political opinons and values are better for the black community then Obamas  but you are right one way to guarntee a republican win in 08 is to give Dennis the democratic presidental nomination.  ::).  
Live The Dream....

Made In America...

The LSAT score usually factors in about 60% of the reason a law school would or would not admit you..be safe ...get a perfect score-Me

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2007, 09:16:14 AM »

Lol... You gotta love the idealism and optimism of this youth man…  Although, I must say, he seems to have some "James Bond" type goals...

On Obama: As hard as it is for a brotha to make it in the system--with more brothas going through the penal system than in college--it's hard for me to hate on Obama like that...  If nothing else, Obama becoming president could give young black kids hope of becoming something else other than the next 50 cent, or the next MJ, or [insert entertainment figure].
Consuetudo pro lege servatur...Corruptisima re publica plurimae leges.

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2007, 09:20:54 AM »

This was funny as hell.

Lol... You gotta love the idealism and optimism of this youth man…  Although, I must say, he seems to have some "James Bond" type goals...

Yeah, youth is wasted on the young.

On Obama: As hard as it is for a brotha to make it in the system--with more brothas going through the penal system than in college--it's hard for me to hate on Obama like that...  If nothing else, Obama becoming president could give young black kids hope of becoming something else other than the next 50 cent, or the next MJ, or [insert entertainment figure].

Word to the mutha, two times

Justiceforall

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2007, 09:24:57 AM »

But that to me is not the standard a black man should look up too.  I mean granted we don't need any more "sambos' running around as the image for black men;however, I don't see Obama as president a "great" thing since all it feeds into is vying for positions of power (which can be negative obviously)  I mean would you consider condelezza (sp?) rice a  role model that all black women should look up too?
Live The Dream....

Made In America...

The LSAT score usually factors in about 60% of the reason a law school would or would not admit you..be safe ...get a perfect score-Me

Eugene Young

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2007, 09:33:58 AM »

But that to me is not the standard a black man should look up too.  I mean granted we don't need any more "sambos' running around as the image for black men;however, I don't see Obama as president a "great" thing since all it feeds into is vying for positions of power (which can be negative obviously)  I mean would you consider condelezza (sp?) rice a  role model that all black women should look up too?

First of all, you can't compare Obama and Condeleeza. Two opposite ends of the political spectrum. Second of all, what's wrong with power? That's why we're in the situation we're in now, no economic or political power.

You never really stated what made Obama a sellout, other than that he chose not to go the State of Black America "conference".

Tony Montana

• Sr. Citizen
  • Strength and honor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2007, 09:48:30 AM »

Actually, I believe the Condelezza Rice example can show young black girls that they can be someone other than Beyonce, or some hoochie shaking their asses on video.  Does that mean they have to have the same political views or follow Condelezza Rice footsteps exactly? 

My point is that they can be held as examples to young blacks kids that people that look like them can do the same things as the majority.  This gives them hope...    
Consuetudo pro lege servatur...Corruptisima re publica plurimae leges.

Stand under my Umbrella ella ella, aye!!

• Sr. Citizen
  • Exhibiting the discipline necessary for Law School
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2007, 09:51:02 AM »
I think Condoleeza is a positive.  I think Obama is a positive, that is if our youth can relate to him.  They are not stupid.  They know they did not have white mommas, have daddies that went to harvard, nor grow up in Hawaii/Indonesia.  If it's not common knowledge already among our youth, it will be.  I would argue someone like Leeza, despite her politics, is more of a role model in the traditional sense of: if she can come from nothing and make it I can too.  And that does seem to be the standard for youth role models nowadays - coming from nothing and making it.  
The Tragicomic: It’s embodied in the blues, jazz, (HIP HOP, CORNELL <<one slight deserves another!!!!<< REALLY MISSED THE BOAT ON THAT ONE!!!) and the African experience in the New World -- the ability to withstand terrorism, embrace one’s worst enemies lovingly and bear the unbearable in song.

Justiceforall

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2007, 09:51:58 AM »
Well his passivity in opposing alito's nomination (he is a constitutional lawyer for christ sake) his soft approach to being against the Iraqi war "I'm not against all wars jut badly executed ones"  His pork barrel politics, his corporate sponsorship, his views on the middle east especialy with the arab/israeli conflict (thanks to the wonderful people at AIPAC) slept on the obvious problems in Ohio for black voters (while barbra boxer...a white lady...decided to stand up go figure) .. in the end he is just another politican..

But I guess I can vote for him since "he speaks so well.." :P
Live The Dream....

Made In America...

Justiceforall

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2007, 09:54:38 AM »
I think Condoleeza is a positive.  I think Obama is a positive, that is if our youth can relate to him.  They are not stupid.  They know they did not have white mommas, have daddies that went to harvard, nor grow up in Hawaii/Indonesia.  If it's not common knowledge already among our youth, it will be.  I would argue someone like Leeza, despite her politics, is more of a role model in the traditional sense of: if she can come from nothing and make it I can too.  And that does seem to be the standard for youth role models nowadays - coming from nothing and making it.  

Honestly I think the "making it" is such a obession with opressed communities it needs to be addressed I mean what is "making it" is it such a worthy ideal as say social justice? gender equality? being a human rights activist?  it seems there is this huge obession with white peoples wealth I'm not saying you are not entilted to materalism but this success worship is becoming self destructive.
Live The Dream....

Made In America...