Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Panasonic Toughbooks  (Read 877 times)

Skallagrim

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Panasonic Toughbooks
« on: May 08, 2007, 07:51:11 PM »
Anyone else considering the business-rugged models under the Panasonic Toughbook brand of laptop? I hear they are very well-built, but the price is high too. I really just want something that will last for three years with no problems, and as far as I can tell, Toughbooks are what you get when you need that kind of reliability.

Also, if anyone has personal experiences with these laptops, or with Panasonic Toughbook customer service, please share :)

lindenksv

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Panasonic Toughbooks
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 01:09:23 AM »
My dad has one. I'm not sure that they're all the same, maybe it's just his I dislike. But, I'm a fan of large screens so it's easier on my eyes and I can watch movies on it, so his doesn't do it for me. Plus, their construction-esque design is  also unappealing, I think. I personally really hate the handle on it and find it ergonomically uncomfortable. It doesn't feel sleek and high-tech. I have my doubts about how "tough" it is. Get something you're going to enjoy using and something that is going to have a lot of function for you. You're going to be staring at it for three years, you know?

Skallagrim

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 08:16:08 AM »
@lindenksv: I think you are probably talking about the fully-rugged ones that the police and military use. The business-rugged ones do not have handles and do look rather sleek, in my opinion.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 08:26:49 AM »
Big screens might not be a good way to go for crowded auditoriums and somewhat limited study spaces you might be using your laptop.

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 02:57:35 AM »
Big screens might not be a good way to go for crowded auditoriums and somewhat limited study spaces you might be using your laptop.

OK, having a huge 20 inch one might get annoying - but unless he's taking classes at the tora bora school of law whatever's standard these days - 15? 16? 17 should be fine.

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 06:52:13 AM »
Guess it's a matter of taste, I find 17" to be a tad bit too big for auditorium desks, I'd go for a 15". Even the 12.1" are pretty decent for classroom use actually, but you'd probably want to invest in an external monitor for homework then.

Skallagrim

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 08:42:36 AM »
I'm specifically considering the W5 model, which is a long-battery-life (8-hr), fanless 12.1" ultraportable. The goal is to have a computer that I can confidently stick into a backpack with my books, without a charger, and take on the bumpy public transit and around school for three years with almost no chance of breaking. The main concern is (of course) price. At $2000 I can get the bare bones specs. For around $3000 I can get the specs bumped up to something good, maybe too good.

My school's deal with Dell means I would pay around $1200 or a little more for a Dell Latitude D620. The W5 is so much more expensive compared to this, but with the Dell I am sure it will break sometime during three years even if I baby it, let alone give it the kind of casual treatment I would like. Even with a complete Dell warranty, not having my computer even for a week could be a major disruption.

h2xblive

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 09:50:18 AM »
I'm specifically considering the W5 model, which is a long-battery-life (8-hr), fanless 12.1" ultraportable. The goal is to have a computer that I can confidently stick into a backpack with my books, without a charger, and take on the bumpy public transit and around school for three years with almost no chance of breaking. The main concern is (of course) price. At $2000 I can get the bare bones specs. For around $3000 I can get the specs bumped up to something good, maybe too good.

My school's deal with Dell means I would pay around $1200 or a little more for a Dell Latitude D620. The W5 is so much more expensive compared to this, but with the Dell I am sure it will break sometime during three years even if I baby it, let alone give it the kind of casual treatment I would like. Even with a complete Dell warranty, not having my computer even for a week could be a major disruption.

You get what you pay for.

If you have the cash (and will only use one laptop in law school), get the W5.

moonpie

• Sr. Citizen
  • No it's not mexico
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 10:20:38 AM »
Guess it's a matter of taste, I find 17" to be a tad bit too big for auditorium desks, I'd go for a 15". Even the 12.1" are pretty decent for classroom use actually, but you'd probably want to invest in an external monitor for homework then.

No, I have a total fetish for very small laptops too. I had one, though like a year ago, and i put a bunch of books on top of it, and it cracked the screen. :( So I don't have it any more...

Now I use my old 2000 dell, but it runs windows XP SP1 with like 256 mb of RAM and no complaints!

OingoBoingo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Simply the best band from the 80's
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2007, 10:29:07 AM »

And that's worth paying MORE THAN DOUBLE the cost of the Dell? Man, I forgot what it's like to be a 1L in waiting. Simple advice - go with the Dell and the 4 year warranty. Or something else like a Thinkpad. What if something technical, not involving any physical force on your part, fails inside your Toughbook? Will the $3000 seem worth it then?

Panasonics aren't especially more reliable than Dells.

Don't be silly

Oingo
"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man."