Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Should I try for the top 3?  (Read 4700 times)

thelawfool

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: Should I try for the top 3?
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2007, 11:25:39 AM »
waste money? 

she's about to embark on $150K worth of debt.  i don't think an extra $150-$300 should be a concern.  honestly, might as well give it a shot if anything for the "at least i tried" or "what if..." factors.
FIU Class of 2009

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2007, 11:44:19 AM »
     Really, people should not be encouraging her to waste money on those schools.  Her GPA is too low for both Stanford and Yale (assuming you aren't an URM or legacy) and her LSAT is too low for Harvard.  People get dinged here with similar stats. 

Hmm, how many people told me the same about NYU? Oh right, pretty much everyone.

but aren't you an international student?  That's good for almost as good a boost as URM.  and you have work experience right?  Another offsetter

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2007, 11:46:57 AM »
but aren't you an international student?  That's good for almost as good a boost as URM.  and you have work experience right?  Another offsetter

Actually, according to Anne Ivey, the adcomms I've talked to at schools and pretty much any lawyer, they've very explicitly stated that no benefits or leniency is given to international students. Some schools accept a larger portion of internationals than others, but even in those cases, the 'international' group is close to exclusively Canadians. Which is also reflected by my other acceptances and rejections, which to the decimal followed the LSAT and UGPA stats of all schools.

ty1228

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2007, 12:34:52 PM »
Lawfool,
     You are correct that the cost of law school is more than the cost of applications.  With that said, the question is whether it is a waste of money to apply (not whether it is a waste of so much money that people would never consider it [indeed it wouldnt be a hard decision if that was the case]).  The answer is yes, even if it is less money than typical law school debt.  I can think of a lot better uses for 250 dollars than lining the endowments of three schools.  The OP has listed absolutely nothing that suggests they will have an application with soft factors better than the average applicant.  As such, with the information we have (LSAT and GPA) she is pretty much an auto-ding.  If getting three rejections is worth 250 dollars to someone, then go for it and I guess avoid "what if" doubts.  But the OP was asking for advice on what is the smart play and the answer to that question is saving the money. 

pastor of muppets

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2007, 01:09:43 PM »
     Really, people should not be encouraging her to waste money on those schools.  Her GPA is too low for both Stanford and Yale (assuming you aren't an URM or legacy) and her LSAT is too low for Harvard.  People get dinged here with similar stats. 
     The other wildcard is the undergrad.  Not sure where you went, but I'm assuming it wasn't an Ivy or similarly situated school.  You have a legal studies major, not engineering.  In short, there is not much that is going to impress an adcom to look past numbers, unless you have some kind of killer soft factor (think curing cancer) that you haven't told us about. 
     If you had a good GPA I would say take a shot, but you don't and will only be throwing money away.  Of course, you would be helping their percent accepted numbers for USNews so I'm sure the schools would rather you applied. 

What is the harm if she takes a shot?  Is $300 really a huge sum of money when you consider what could be at stake?  I think you're just a downer, man.

whitesupremacist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2007, 01:52:59 PM »
who do you all think has a better shot at stanford...someone with the OP's numbers or someone with a 169/3.9?

whitesupremacist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2007, 01:56:13 PM »
who do you all think has a better shot at stanford...someone with the OP's numbers or someone with a 169/3.9?

Definitely the 169/3.9. Stanford basically doesn't take anyone with below a 3.8.

yea why r they such gpa whores?

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2007, 01:58:08 PM »
Because they value skilled students more than USNWR rankings.

whitesupremacist

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2007, 02:00:20 PM »
what would you all put the OP's chances at admission to stanford at percentage-wise?

ty1228

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2007, 02:07:51 PM »
2% and that assumes they went to a GREAT undergrad.