Law School Discussion

Should I try for the top 3?

Re: Should I try for the top 3?
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2007, 10:48:26 PM »
I know someone who got rejected from the entire top 14 except for Harvard.

jimfoolery

• Bo knows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2007, 10:55:03 PM »
You'll be wasting $100. The fact that you use that abominal spelling "tho" further solidifies my confidence in my response.

Okay, I'll bite.  You meant "abominable," not "abominal."  Unless you meant "abdominal," in which case we are on entirely different wavelengths.

Catherine Morland

• the improvement of her mind by extensive reading
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 11:11:47 PM »
Stranger things have happened.

True, but Data does have some pretty unique soft factors.

This other guy had two uncles who were professors at H & Y. Prize for rarest soft factors ever.

Nimmy

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 11:17:17 PM »
I don't think any of HYS will take you.  I was trying to think of which one is more likely, and I think if you really ham up the personal statement, Yale might be the easiest.  You'd really have to be convincing though.  Stanford is a definite no.

You'll definitely get into a t14 school though.  I could see Penn on down.  Maybe a shot at NYU.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2007, 03:03:41 AM »
Stanford are generally GPA whores and will probably ding you on that account. HY might be worth a try, just don't get disappointed if you get a no.

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2007, 07:25:45 AM »
     Really, people should not be encouraging her to waste money on those schools.  Her GPA is too low for both Stanford and Yale (assuming you aren't an URM or legacy) and her LSAT is too low for Harvard.  People get dinged here with similar stats. 
     The other wildcard is the undergrad.  Not sure where you went, but I'm assuming it wasn't an Ivy or similarly situated school.  You have a legal studies major, not engineering.  In short, there is not much that is going to impress an adcom to look past numbers, unless you have some kind of killer soft factor (think curing cancer) that you haven't told us about. 
     If you had a good GPA I would say take a shot, but you don't and will only be throwing money away.  Of course, you would be helping their percent accepted numbers for USNews so I'm sure the schools would rather you applied. 

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2007, 07:29:28 AM »
     Really, people should not be encouraging her to waste money on those schools.  Her GPA is too low for both Stanford and Yale (assuming you aren't an URM or legacy) and her LSAT is too low for Harvard.  People get dinged here with similar stats. 

Hmm, how many people told me the same about NYU? Oh right, pretty much everyone.

« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2007, 07:31:32 AM »
NYU is not the same as those schools.  We take cross-admits from NYU (I'm one of them).  We don't from H and Y.

« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 07:47:19 AM »
NYU is not the same as those schools.  We take cross-admits from NYU (I'm one of them).  We don't from H and Y.

Agreed, from my extensive application study and experience (sarcasm) I can conclude that OP has no chance at HYS.  No, that's a lie.  But I do agree that it seems to take a whole lot more to break into the top 3 than it does to get into the top 6.  But honestly, if it were me I wouldn't mind shelling out $200 for the shot.  It's a week's work (at my crappy UG job) to quell a lifetime's worth of lingering doubt.  That's just me though.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2007, 07:59:47 AM »

No, and my numbers were nowhere near what hers is, so that's still a useful comparison. Who are "we" btw?