Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Media Law  (Read 2921 times)

roygbiv

• View Profile
Re: Media Law
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2007, 11:19:45 PM »
I'm a summer associate doing some media law work and I'd agree with the GW alum on most points.

IMO, just go to the best school you can get into which will consequently give you the most number of overall job opportunities which will consequently give you more chances to interview at firms with media law departments. From there, if you don't have a journalism background (I was a journalist and then magazine editor) I would do a lot of volunteering along those lines which will then catch partner's eyes.

I had a variety of interests going into OCI (media, soft IP, regulatory) and chose a firm that had all three and because of my background (they specifically spoke about certain aspects of my experiences when giving me assignments), partners have been giving me that type of work (medium sized firm) so I'm pretty sure I'll end up in one of those departments.

No one in my interviews seemed to care about what classes I took. It was 1. school 2. grades 3. resume.

thanks legalwriter, GDub, & beeker.. I'm definitely looking at nyc particularly cardozo, and UNC sounds like a good place to look into as well. I'm a Florida resident, but i dont really care too much for UF, and so many people come out of there looking for jobs in florida so UF to me doesnt give that great of an impression- but probably just a personal bias there. definitley looking at tier 1 & maybe a few in the 2nd.

yongsoo

• Sr. Citizen
  • Bah weep Grah nah weep ninny bon
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2007, 08:30:37 AM »
well, if you're looking outside the top 20 or so, I'd look into Missouri (which has been suggested). Granted, it's not on the East Coast, but its School of Journalism is the best in the nation. Their law school, I believe, is sitting around mid 50s--so it's a T1/T2 borderline school and shouldn't be too difficult to meet their numbers.

badgerlaw

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2007, 11:29:15 AM »
tag

sahrunner86

• AOL Instant Messenger - SAHRunner86
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2007, 12:09:21 PM »
is a joint degree in journalism necessary or is a concentration in the JD enough?

roygbiv

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 31, 2007, 12:28:16 PM »
I don't really think a journalism degree or a concentration is really necessary but obviously wouldn't hurt. This is such a niche field that I feel like if you don't have prior experience you really have to go out of your way to stand out in a meaningful way I just don't know that a concentration in and of itself necessarily shows that.

Like I said I think the best course is to go to the best school you can and then do a lot of volunteering. I would not choose a lower ranked school (unless it's just a couple of places) just for a concentration. I wouldn't be turning down UCLA for UF just because of their media law emphasis, for example.

is a joint degree in journalism necessary or is a concentration in the JD enough?

sahrunner86

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 31, 2007, 07:15:32 PM »
definitely not t3 or t4 with just a concentration.. but t2 ot t1 preferably with a concentration and maybe a journal/center and possibly try for summer work in the field. The thing is im hoping to do a joint degree in public administration and really I like the area of media law for a jd concentration area more than as a joint degree.

sahrunner86

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2007, 05:34:06 PM »
any ideas on schools for media law in the southeast ...just another possibility im looking into... i know UNC for one...any other suggestions??

GDub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #27 on: June 06, 2007, 06:12:22 PM »
any ideas on schools for media law in the southeast ...just another possibility im looking into... i know UNC for one...any other suggestions??

As legalwriter mentioned above, if you want to stay in the southeast it's probably worth looking into University of Georgia, if only to take advantage of the Grady School of Journalism.  The school also offers a journal on intellectual property law, which could be worthwhile as a lot of soft IP issues (copyright, trademark) creep up in media practice.

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 06, 2007, 06:21:36 PM »

I believe Vandy has a Journal of Entertainment or something like that.
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

sahrunner86

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2007, 10:06:38 PM »
sounds good..