Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Media Law  (Read 3052 times)

sahrunner86

• AOL Instant Messenger - SAHRunner86
    • View Profile
Re: Media Law
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2007, 11:54:04 PM »
do I have the right concentration? for free speech/first amendment, tv/print media ...is that media law, entertainment law, IP??

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2007, 11:58:37 PM »
It depends on what you want to do. A lot of media law is going to be copyright/licensing, DMCA, probably some trademark. A lot of that will be contract stuff. Some tort, possibly; for example, the right of publicity torts, depending on exactly what you're doing.

Probably less on the constitutional law front. A general rule of constitutional interpretation is if you can solve an issue on grounds other than constitutionality, you do that.

sahrunner86

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2007, 12:05:31 AM »
ok.. that sounds about like what im looking for

ebirt07

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2007, 12:13:02 AM »
If you like the government side of media and its regulation, Catholic has a separate institute you can apply for at the time of your initial application.  It looked really interesting.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 08, 2007, 04:06:28 AM »
Didn't think of that stuff, but I looked at the program info. I'm personally not hugely intereted in regulatory/administrative law. That's more the type of stuff involved. FCC, Telecom, and some first amendment/media issues, as well as an externship. One of the nice things about law...there's so much to do, depending on your interests/opportunities.

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2007, 09:40:02 AM »
do I have the right concentration? for free speech/first amendment, tv/print media ...is that media law, entertainment law, IP??

Yeah, media law kind of holds a few different paths under its umbrella.  I am really interested in print media/first amendment stuff, too.

A mentor of mine is a first amendment law rock star and so I have been asking his advice about this stuff and he said that there really aren't any particular schools that stand out, but to basically go to a "good school" (ie T1) and get good grades and that having a background in media is a HUGE resume boost.  Also, he's not in NYC, but he said it's easier there than anywhere else.  Connections are huge because it's such a niche practice area, and not too many firms have it.

GDub

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2007, 10:54:43 AM »
As a [relatively] recently minted media lawyer, I thought I might be some help here.  To disclose, I went to GW, so some of my biases stemming from that might come through.

First, I think the suggestions Beeker's mentor gave are spot on.  A background in media or journalism definitely goes a long way.  Getting some litigation experience (usually through internships or first jobs) helps.  And network like crazy.  If there is a media law section of the local bar, try to get involved while you're still in school.  More often than not, finding a job in media is about being in the right place at the right time.  Unlike litigation practice groups or corporate practice groups, media practice groups are usually pretty small and only hire when someone else leaves.  The best way to know when those openings pop up is knowing the people working in the industry.

For schools, you probably want to look at top tier schools in big cities, if only for the internship opportunities that you'll be able to find.  New York is obvious, but don't discount DC.  Every media organization in the country has an office here, plus getting involved with the FCC is always a fantastic option (particularly in the media or enforcement bureaus).  You'll also find not only the biglaw firms that deal with media law, but also a lot of specialized boutique firms based on the location.

You also might want to look to schools that have excellent masters degree programs in journalism and the media.  Columbia, Northwestern, BU, Missouri, and Syracuse all come to mind (though Syracuse's law school leaves a lot to be desired).  Also, although participation in journals is far from guaranteed, some schools house some that are particularly focused on the media: UNC has a journal focused on first amendment law, Fordham has one focused on IP and Media, and Indiana has one on communications law.  Working for any of those certainly wouldn't hurt.

As far as classes go, you're really going to need a pretty broad background.  I'm not sure what kind of course offerings that other schools provide, but I can outline some of the classes the I found particularly on point.  Outside of torts, civil procedure, and contracts (all of which you'll probably get your first year), GW offered several upper level constitutional law classes focused on the first amendment, some soft IP courses (copyright, trademark), information privacy law, administrative law, entertainment law, mass media law, communications law, broadcast regulation, national security law, campaign finance law, and employment law.  GW has two of the top first amendment law scholars in the country on its faculty as well (Jerome Barron and Tom Dienes).

Hope that's some help!

legalwriter

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2007, 05:36:26 PM »
Sahrunner, I think GDub's advice is top notch. Of course, I'm not a lawyer yet, so what do I know.

I'm a newspaper reporter planning to go into Media Law. I want to work on press freedom, open government and libel. This is how I evaluated schools:

I wasn't going to be competitive in the upper Tier 1 schools so I looked at the following: UNC, Indiana-Bloomington, Georgia and Florida. All are lower first-tier schools at which I could do a joint-degree in communications. Florida has the longest established JD/MA in Journalism in the country and many j-school academics go through that program. UNC has a new Center on Media Law and Public Policy in its J-school and the First Amendment Law Review (I'm also an N.C. resident so that made it my top choice for tuition reasons). IU has a communications law review and a top-notch journalism program. Georgia was the least appealing program-wise for me, although it's Grady School of Communication has some really cool things going on.

I ended up not applying to Florida primarily because my soon-to-be-wife absolutely did not want to live that far south.

I'll be going to UNC in the fall.

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2007, 08:54:36 AM »
Some great stuff in here, thanks legalwriter and GDub!

I think what most attracts me to media law (specifically print media), besides have given most of my time as an undergraduate to my UG's daily, is the advising component of the practice.  I paralegal now in an employment firm and actually advising clients appeals to me so much more than some of the other aspects of law.

Maybe it's because I loved working as an editor and hated having to do the reporting myself, so it's a way for me to still feel involved int he editorial process....who knows

sahrunner86

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2007, 09:11:53 PM »
thanks legalwriter, GDub, & beeker.. I'm definitely looking at nyc particularly cardozo, and UNC sounds like a good place to look into as well. I'm a Florida resident, but i dont really care too much for UF, and so many people come out of there looking for jobs in florida so UF to me doesnt give that great of an impression- but probably just a personal bias there. definitley looking at tier 1 & maybe a few in the 2nd.