Law School Discussion

Windows Vista

adlai

• View Profile
Windows Vista
« on: May 07, 2007, 08:43:59 AM »
So I hear that alot of law schools discourage vista. Well, I have vista installed on my main laptop, and I don't plan on getting a new laptop for law school. can't I get really problematic software to work using SP2 compatability mode anyways?

TrashCat

• My job requires a certain... moral flexibility.
    • View Profile
Re: Windows Vista
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 08:47:26 AM »
I heard they were supposed to be pushing out the first SP for Vista soon because business's (their main profit base) weren't upgrading yet until SP1.

ě

• non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 08:53:37 AM »
Compatibility mode has worked very well for me on everything I've tried, but if the school explicitly states they do not want students to use Vista, I'd say it's a good idea to install Windows XP. The idea of buying a new laptop instead of installing another OS kinda sounds like buying a new car when the old one runs out of gas.

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 09:12:51 AM »
Compatibility mode has worked very well for me on everything I've tried, but if the school explicitly states they do not want students to use Vista, I'd say it's a good idea to install Windows XP. The idea of buying a new laptop instead of installing another OS kinda sounds like buying a new car when the old one runs out of gas.

The problem is that many schools will only give you the laptop loan the first year of school, so if your laptop dies midway through, you're stuck having to cough up the money from your existing loans. In addition, most schools have their own preferred sellers, so the computers you can get through there will be a)discounted and b)have the software the school wants you to use. If you think the laptop could die during school, it's probably worth it to get a new one.