Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: Help me choose PLEASE!!!! VILLANOVA V. TEMPLE????!!!!  (Read 785 times)

Phillyman14

• View Profile
Help me choose PLEASE!!!! VILLANOVA V. TEMPLE????!!!!
« on: May 05, 2007, 04:30:40 PM »
Hello all!! I just found this site this week!! man am I oblivious!! So much so that I can't choose between these two schools!! I know there is an obviously price factor... But seriously.... I need some help in comparing programs... I hear temple is the litigator school and Villanova is the business law school is that true???? THey are both ranked the same... If that is so, then why do I see so many people choosing Villanova over Temple??? Reason?? Is the suburb really that better than the city life?? I'm having such a hard time!! I look them up on NALP Temple has 75 firms for oci and Villanova has 95... Could that make Villanova worth being so much more expensive??? Are those figures even relevant???

Is student life different?? I NEED HELP!!

In essence I would like 1. your personal opinion and 2. maybe a good thread disscussion with a solid comparison b/t the two b/c i'm sure that students are thinking of the same things.....

3. Also if you choose one school over another can you Please tell me why???

Thank you so much everyone!! I look forward to learning so much on this intersting bored I wish I found it sooner!!

Chuck

Journeyman

• Sr. Citizen
  • The road to life.
    • View Profile
Re: Help me choose PLEASE!!!! VILLANOVA V. TEMPLE????!!!!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2007, 05:55:24 PM »
In state ----> Temple

Tax law ------> Villanova

Trial advocacy ------> Temple

Public Interest (because it's apparently "annoying" according to my tour guide at Villanova) -------> Temple

Diversity -------> Temple

Don't like urban places ------> Villanova
IU-B '10

Journeyman, I am dumbfounded as to how you got into IU and W&L with your numbers. 155 LSAT and you applied to Vanderbilt? Honestly?

RUMike

• Sr. Citizen
  • I switched it up with a self tar.
    • AOL Instant Messenger - Mike101985
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 06:14:01 PM »
Are you a PA resident? If so Temple is the clear choice. Villanova simply isn't worth the extra cash. I think maybe Villanova might have more of reach into DC (thus explaining the extra firms at OCI), however, I think they are pretty much equal in the eyes of the Philly legal community.

If you're from Jersey, RU-Camden would be the best choice (barring a scholarship from Temple- ironically the one I got from them would have made them about equal in cost despite  my Jersey residency).

If you're from DE, probably Temple is cheapest and the best bet.

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 08:46:01 PM »
It does depend what you want to do.. And if you are instate the tuition is realy nice at Temple, but if you hate city life go to Villanova, and if you are rich or don't mind the debt. These school are very similar, i am amazed also how many friends of mine decided to pay more money to go to villanova... they still can't explain it other than they don't like the city and are whitebread, hehe. 

Mainly look for people that choose one school over the other and ask why.. but in the end, visit both school and go where you are most comfortable.. Still tough choice though
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

Towelie

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 09:01:26 PM »
It does depend what you want to do.. And if you are instate the tuition is realy nice at Temple, but if you hate city life go to Villanova, and if you are rich or don't mind the debt. These school are very similar, i am amazed also how many friends of mine decided to pay more money to go to villanova... they still can't explain it other than they don't like the city and are whitebread, hehe. 

Mainly look for people that choose one school over the other and ask why.. but in the end, visit both school and go where you are most comfortable.. Still tough choice though

Graduating with honors from Temple is graduating without bullet wounds. It's no wonder your friends are willing to pay extra to be in a nice suburban area. That said, I have friends at Temple Law who love it.
Penn Law '09

danielle83

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2007, 10:25:27 PM »
I received scholarship money from both schools making the costs similar and I am choosing to go to Temple.  I do want to live in the city so that's part of it.  However, a big part of the decision for me was the lack of diversity at Villanova.  Since the students are primarily white and upper class, it seemed like it would really be lacking a lot of perspective whereas at Temple they get a pretty diverse student body.  Some people don't care much about diversity, but I think it adds a lot to a legal education. For example, I look forward to discussing racial issues and the law with people from different races, not just people from my background. Just something else to think about.

AntiGunner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2007, 12:24:15 AM »
solution................kill self

latinlord

• Sr. Citizen
  • ME... Litigating at the Indiana State Court house!
    • AOL Instant Messenger - latinlord
    • View Profile
    • myspace profile, "come and say hello"
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2007, 01:25:41 AM »

Graduating with honors from Temple is graduating without bullet wounds. It's no wonder your friends are willing to pay extra to be in a nice suburban area. That said, I have friends at Temple Law who love it.

Ehhhh i think the crime rate and rumors are overrated... Sure things can happend, but thing can happen anywhere in Philly, including your part of town!! haha

How are you final treating you?? I'm reading up on conlaw now.. It is so annoying, but worth 4 credits so I got to kick ass!! I just got this new program that actually reads my outline outloud... so i can conserve reading energy and use a different hearing sense... if your board check out the site... http://www.naturalreaders.com/

Anyway... i personally think the Villanova although is nice.. it can get boring at times but that is just surberbia for you.. They only have a couple of places to go and everything is all spread out.. I like to be in the center of things..Right now i'm in downtown indianapolis love it..
Graduated from Indiana Law - Indianapolis!!
Was a 3rd year Visiting Student at Villanova University School of Law.
Graduated from Temple University Beasley School of Law - LL.M in Trial Advocacy Candidate 2010
 Published by Chicano/Latino Law Review of UCLA LAW. & I'm a Licensed Esq. NOW!

Phillyman14

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2007, 01:52:19 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replys they are all really informative, I'm starting to lean more toward Temple... But Does anyone know of any good places to live at both schools and the rates???

stateofbeasley

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • The State of Beasley blog
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2007, 06:48:13 PM »
I'll throw in my 2 cents, although previous posters have covered the major points.

Temple wins hands down as far as overall cost.  Both schools are roughly equivalent, along with Rutgers Camden, in terms of prestige and job opportunities. 

My general sense is that Temple students seem to be more focused and work harder than Villanova students, who are more laid back.  I base this on having worked with and observed people from both schools.  Also, both schools have similar GPA and LSAT ranges, which I think indicates that both student populations are equally adept at standardized exams.  But if you look at the July bar results for the past few years, Temple usually comes out ahead. 

Safety at Temple is a legitimate concern because the surrounding area is a rough neighborhood, but Temple has a large police force, over 9,000 resident undergrads, and rail/subway stations.  A student will almost never be alone, and will never have to set foot outside the campus borders.

There are plenty of places one can live when attending Temple.  I don't know of any specific places that are good deals now, but my one piece of advice is to choose some place near a rail station.  Regional rail lines like the R3, R5, and R6 provide easy access from suburban towns.