d
« on: May 05, 2007, 11:54:08 AM »
e

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Don't read books for law school.
Don't go to seminars for law school.
You can do everything you need to in law school.
 ;)

As a disclaimer, I am not in law school, so I don't know what the hell I'm talking about...but that is the strategy I am using.  :)

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
Well, that seems to be the advice all the current students are giving too.

Rule of Reason

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Zone... if I were going to Boalt I would adopt your stategy too... However, at my TT I'm ready to be swarmed by competition...

Yeah, everyone's told me the same thing: "dude, just enjoy the summer and relax, you'll need it..."

I'm going through the prep program from that book Planet Law School though.

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Zone... if I were going to Boalt I would adopt your stategy too... However, at my TT I'm ready to be swarmed by competition...

Yeah, everyone's told me the same thing: "dude, just enjoy the summer and relax, you'll need it..."

I don't go to a top school, and I strongly advise you to spend the summer doing something fun.

I know it seems reasonable to want to know some law going in, but the truth is that by the time you actually need to know everything (the end of semester when exams roll around), almost everyone (the people that didn't just slack and party, and even some that did) know the same stuff.  There is more than ample time in the semester to learn everything you need to know by exam time.  You don't get extra points for knowing anything first!

So have a fun summer, relax, law school will be here before you know it.  If you must do something this summer, do LEEWS, some people think that it is really helpful.

And perhaps the competition thing is blown out of proportion on these boards.  Unless the school that I go to is completely atypical, the competition is nowhere near as bad as you likely think it will be - most of the people will be pretty chill and most everyone will try to help out as much as they can.  Stay away from the dicks, and you will be fine.

Swibbles

• Sr. Citizen
  • Never forget Benefactor!
    • View Profile
OK, but IF I wanted to do some work, what should I do. I'm already feeling guilty, despite the fact I just finished school yesterday (seeya later college), and am still working my job.

Need... to study...

read chemerinsky.  it won't help, but it's so thick that it'll make you feel like you're doing something useful.  ;)
Quote from: Saxby Rogers II
What's Valtrex for?

Herpes, I believe.

Not that, I, uh, know that.

.zone.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile

I never said I was going to Boalt.  ???  I also didn't advocate relaxing during the summer.  I've heard people say that too, but I have bills to play and plan on working up until the day school starts this summer.  I just don't see starting law school work a few months early being all that beneficial...you won't know what's most important until you start law school.  I figure that maybe every six hours you spend studying prior to law school will be the equivalent of one hour you spend studying when you are in law school (when you know how to study for your clases).  I don't see it being worth it.  I'd rather work and save money for the school year, but that's me.  Anyways, to each his(/her) own.  There is a thread on the students board with recommendations if you do plan to study.  If you just feel like studying in general to stay in a school mode, you could read or study a topic you were interested in throughout undergrad. & never had time to explore...or take a random night course or something else. 

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
If you want to do something over the summer that will help you in the fall, learn to mix really good drinks - get one of those big bartender books and a shaker and learn to make great cocktails.  It will make you very popular come fall.

Really, if it makes you feel good to read law books over the summer, go right ahead...It just won't help you come exam time - but that's what makes you happy, by all means, spend you summer learning the federal rules of civil procedure.

Chemerinsky, while invaluable for Con Law, is also a great cure for insomnia.  And your first year con law class only covers a few of those chapters anyway, not the whole book - just fyi.

Swibbles

• Sr. Citizen
  • Never forget Benefactor!
    • View Profile
Chemerinsky, while invaluable for Con Law, is also a great cure for insomnia.  And your first year con law class only covers a few of those chapters anyway, not the whole book - just fyi.

listen, the important thing is not that OP IS productive but rather that he FEELS productive.  nothing more productive than reading a book that puts you to sleep.
Quote from: Saxby Rogers II
What's Valtrex for?

Herpes, I believe.

Not that, I, uh, know that.

slacker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
If you want to do something related to law, volunteer with a legal services agency or see if you can find a pt or ft job clerking. As for the learning the law stuff, you'll get more than your fill soon enough. Starting early probably won't make any difference. Enjoy your summer.