Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In-State Tuition for Illegal Immigrants  (Read 16259 times)

HtownsFinest

• View Profile
Re: In-State Tuition for Illegal Immigrants
« Reply #130 on: July 20, 2007, 06:37:13 PM »

What is a kid supposed to? Kick and scream to prevent from going to America? Well, gee that requires them to A) understand the law,
See above.

HtownsFinest

• View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 20, 2007, 06:43:12 PM »
Also, please change the word "undocumented" in all of your lengthy screeds to "illegal." Don't try to put lipstick on a pig.

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #132 on: July 20, 2007, 09:40:09 PM »
Also, please change the word "undocumented" in all of your lengthy screeds to "illegal." Don't try to put lipstick on a pig.

Illegal is a pretty broad brush.  If you drive with one headlight out, you are driving "illegally."
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

HtownsFinest

• View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 20, 2007, 10:04:45 PM »

Illegal is a pretty broad brush.  If you drive with one headlight out, you are driving "illegally."
You know, you're right. And you get pulled over for that. And you will keep getting pulled over until you you fix your headlight, and are operating the vehicle in accordance with the law. Don't make me draw the obvious analogy.

aerynn

• Sr. Citizen
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #134 on: July 20, 2007, 10:16:16 PM »

You know, you're right. And you get pulled over for that. And you will keep getting pulled over until you you fix your headlight, and are operating the vehicle in accordance with the law. Don't make me draw the obvious analogy.

And tell me why this means that the driver with the broken headlight's kids shouldn't be allowed to drive or buy a car with two working headlights?
Here's how it went for me for Fall 2006 admission:
168/3.67
In: Emory($$), UGA ($), W&M ($$), GW($)
Waitlisted:American(W), UVA (W)
http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn

HtownsFinest

• View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 20, 2007, 10:26:56 PM »

And tell me why this means that the driver with the broken headlight's kids shouldn't be allowed to drive or buy a car with two working headlights?

He should be able to. He must remedy the illegality. Likewise, those who come here illegally can remedy their offense by leaving. If they can get into the country by legal means, hurrah!
Thanks for the soft ball, champ!

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #136 on: July 20, 2007, 10:45:15 PM »
Maybe it is the same reasoning used for D.C. residents, since you aren't a member of ANY state, they will grant you in-state tuition in EVERY state.

It's still BS...they should pay the International Student Rate. (The illegal immigrants, not the D.C. kids.)
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill

HtownsFinest

• View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 20, 2007, 10:53:51 PM »
Maybe it is the same reasoning used for D.C. residents, since you aren't a member of ANY state, they will grant you in-state tuition in EVERY state.

It's still BS...they should pay the International Student Rate. (The illegal immigrants, not the D.C. kids.)

Exactly. They're foreign nationals--documented to be here or not--so should pay the same as any other international student.
And they should have to apply for student visas... from their home country.. like every other foreign student.

sc3pt0r

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #138 on: July 20, 2007, 11:00:11 PM »
My undergrad had a large population of students from Nigeria.  Unless they qualified (like out of state students) under the Honors Program, or played sports, my university charged the international tuition rate, and the students had to fulfill the requirements of their visas.

One friend of mine couldn't drop a class because he would risk being deported.  Why should he face this trouble, but people who break the law get a free pass?
"I am prepared to meet my Maker. Whether my Maker is prepared for the great ordeal of meeting me is another matter." Winston Churchill