Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In-State Tuition for Illegal Immigrants  (Read 16324 times)

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: In-State Tuition for Illegal Immigrants
« Reply #70 on: May 30, 2007, 02:03:09 PM »
Ok, I can see the flaws on both sides...

But as far as denying Americans the same thing, there are in-state options for American citizens. If you choose to apply for out of state schools, you are assuming the cost of out of state. For aliens, it isn't like there is another option. 
Right and they are welcome to partake if they are here legally.

Katie08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #71 on: May 30, 2007, 02:52:50 PM »

But as far as denying Americans the same thing, there are in-state options for American citizens. If you choose to apply for out of state schools, you are assuming the cost of out of state. For aliens, it isn't like there is another option. 

Immigration status- the only crime you can inherit from your parents.
You must be the change you wish to see in the world

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 30, 2007, 03:03:43 PM »

Immigration status- the only crime you can inherit from your parents.
If your parents are crack heads you get to be a crack baby... Your point?

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 30, 2007, 03:23:46 PM »
Whether or not their parents brought them here, they are still illegal.  Parents do many things that affect the lives of their children.  Physical, emotional, sexual abuse.  Some parents teach their kids to be liars, to be racists, etc.  While these don't directly have legal reprecussions, they still shape the child's life. 

Why not just let every Mexican parent who wants their kid to have a better life, throw them over the border?  Since they would be in the U.S., government would have no choice but to take them in. 

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 30, 2007, 03:40:20 PM »
hmmmm, this is exactly what we want, isnt it?

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2007/05/29/0530metimmtuition.html 

That was a really good article.  It is sad about Macro, but Jan(?) Gonzalez makes a good point.  The U.S. needs to take care of her own citizens.  There is so much poverty and adversity in our own country, among our own citizens.  We need to use our efforts and tax dollars to benefit them. 

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 30, 2007, 03:52:41 PM »

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2007/05/29/0530metimmtuition.html 

That was a really good article.  It is sad about Macro, but Jan(?) Gonzalez makes a good point.  The U.S. needs to take care of her own citizens.  There is so much poverty and adversity in our own country, among our own citizens.  We need to use our efforts and tax dollars to benefit them. 
Perfect example:Pre-Katrina New Orleans.  The poverty there was worst than some developing countries. 

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 30, 2007, 03:54:28 PM »

His parents moved here 15yrs ago.  They had 15 years to get legal.

Katie08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #77 on: May 30, 2007, 03:57:24 PM »
And the average backlog, particularly for certain groups of immigrants, is more than 20 years.  'Course, I'm sure you're happy to argue that somehow the people trying to get legal status are responsible for this?

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 30, 2007, 04:04:04 PM »
And the average backlog, particularly for certain groups of immigrants, is more than 20 years.  'Course, I'm sure you're happy to argue that somehow the people trying to get legal status are responsible for this?
No that's the fault of inefficient government, and racist policies for non-European Immagrants.  I know the system is inefficient but that doesn't mean we reward the criminals.

So I can drive without a licence because the lines at the DMV were too long? I can park in handicaped parking without a sticker because the regular spaces aren't close enough and my feet hurt? 

Katie08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #79 on: May 30, 2007, 04:08:04 PM »
There's a big difference between someone who is in processing, and someone who isn't. If you're without a form of state ID because yours expired and you're in line at the DMV and you're unable to show a valid and current ID if the police show up, that's a very different situation from if you're out driving and get pulled over.  For example, my friend was in processing, legally in the country, and because she was limited to a certain amount of time in the country under VAWA, she "timed out" and, had she chosen to continue working towards naturalization, had to live in the country illegally for up to 7 years in order to get her application seen.