Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: In-State Tuition for Illegal Immigrants  (Read 14943 times)

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: In-State Tuition for Illegal Immigrants
« Reply #80 on: May 30, 2007, 04:14:26 PM »
There's a big difference between someone who is in processing, and someone who isn't. If you're without a form of state ID because yours expired and you're in line at the DMV and you're unable to show a valid and current ID if the police show up, that's a very different situation from if you're out driving and get pulled over.  For example, my friend was in processing, legally in the country, and because she was limited to a certain amount of time in the country under VAWA, she "timed out" and, had she chosen to continue working towards naturalization, had to live in the country illegally for up to 7 years in order to get her application seen.
She chose not to?  She didnt want to be a criminal.  She's the one we need to protect.  She like thousands of others choose to respect the laws of our land.

The illegals don't, and they don't care about the people who are here legally.  If you want to help go into immigration law and protect the rights of the people who respect our laws.  Like your friend.

Katie08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #81 on: May 30, 2007, 04:21:09 PM »
yes, but now that she returned, she's facing a 20+ year wait to be reunited with her mother. I'd rather work on real, good, comprehensive immigration reform, so *&^% like this doesn't happen.

Also, yes, she chose to go back. She was also 26. Are you really asking a 14 year old to make that decision? 16?  What about language barriers? What about family ties? Maybe I was immature for my age, but I definitely wasn't ready to live on my own in a foreign country with a non-native language when I was that age.
You must be the change you wish to see in the world

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 30, 2007, 04:24:53 PM »
yes, but now that she returned, she's facing a 20+ year wait to be reunited with her mother. I'd rather work on real, good, comprehensive immigration reform, so *&^% like this doesn't happen.

Also, yes, she chose to go back. She was also 26. Are you really asking a 14 year old to make that decision? 16?  What about language barriers? What about family ties? Maybe I was immature for my age, but I definitely wasn't ready to live on my own in a foreign country with a non-native language when I was that age.
I'm not asking a child to do anything.  I didn't create the situation.  The parents did.  That what criminals do.  They create bad situations for thier children. You have to draw the line somewhere.

Katie08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #83 on: May 30, 2007, 04:27:13 PM »
But you are assuming that anyone here illegally is responsible for it. Assuming you can't check the exact story for every person, that means that you are asking them to do something about it their 18 birthday, right?

And the United States created the situation wherein we have such massive immigration influxes. Our economy depends on millions of below-minimum wage workers without bargaining power or guaranteed labor rights. If we want to play the blame game, everyone shares in the guilt.

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 30, 2007, 04:32:04 PM »
But you are assuming that anyone here illegally is responsible for it. Assuming you can't check the exact story for every person, that means that you are asking them to do something about it their 18 birthday, right?

And the United States created the situation wherein we have such massive immigration influxes. Our economy depends on millions of below-minimum wage workers without bargaining power or guaranteed labor rights. If we want to play the blame game, everyone shares in the guilt.
Business owners who hire illegals need to be jailed. PERIOD.

Katie08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #85 on: May 30, 2007, 04:35:07 PM »

Yes, and everyone should eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. Somehow, I don't see that happening

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 30, 2007, 04:35:44 PM »

Yea responsibility is tough business.  and some american 16 year olds get tried as adults in criminal court. so since you brought that up they need to start thinking what they are going to do at 16.  16 Year olds pay fed income tax, if they work, as well.

DDBY

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 30, 2007, 04:37:49 PM »

Yes, and everyone should eat 5 servings of fruits and vegetables a day. Somehow, I don't see that happening
It wont, but they are committing multiple crimes, including crime to humanity.  These are the sam types that will allow child labor violations, and human traffiking for slavery, ans sex.

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 30, 2007, 04:46:15 PM »
And the United States created the situation 

Not really....

The countries that these people are fleeing from caused the situation.  These people wouldn't come running to the U.S. if their home countries weren't corrupt.  They should try and fix their own country instead of trying to make the U.S. accomodate them. 

Even if the laws are inefficient, they are still the laws.  That doesn't give you the right to break them. 

It's the parents fault if their kids encounter problems for being illegal.  Their parents shouldn't have been so selfish as to break the law.   Now that they see the consequences, they are upset.   

Katie08

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #89 on: May 30, 2007, 04:48:18 PM »
Its not just corruption. The US has deliberately created harder economic situations in many countries. Much of the current immigration is linked to NAFTA, a US sponsored treaty.  Maybe instead of persecuting people, we should stop screwing around with other countries and then complaining about the results