Law School Discussion

In-State Tuition for Illegal Immigrants

->Soon

• View Profile
Re: In-State Tuition for Illegal Immigrants
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2007, 06:45:45 PM »
I don't yet understsand all the legal implications surrounding this issue, but hopefully one day I will.  In the meantime, I simply disagree.  I'm all for the rights of legal immigrants to go after their share of the American dream, but I do not think that there should be unfair accommodations made for illegal immigrants.

agreed

At least in most of the states, these are children who were brought to this country by their parents before the age of maturity (usually 15), have attended and graduated from high school, and made good grades (good enough to get accepted).  They are looking to get in-state tuition, but are still ineligible for any financial aid, subsidized loans, etc. It wasn't their choice to come here, and many of them do not have the language skills or family connections to return to their "native" country.  By educating these students, we are able to maintain an educated workforce, provide incentives for everyone to finish high school, and maximizing the tax base on a state level. We aren't making any sort of accomodation for these students that isn't already being made for other students.

exzactly!

« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2007, 08:04:54 PM »
Whether or not they chose to come here, they are here-illegally. 

Some argue that they shouldn't be able to attend any sort of higher education.  I wouldn't go that far.  If they have the grades and can pay the tuition, then go for it.  I just don't think that they should get the benefit of in-state tuition. 

I don't think we can know what their language skills are.  I met many families (legal and illegal immigrants), that lived in bilingual households.  Spanish was spoken at home and the kids spoke english everywhere else.  Anyways, I don't know what the statistics would be and I don't know if that is even available. 

« Reply #42 on: May 22, 2007, 11:42:26 AM »
Besides, out-of-state tuition isn't totally unfair.  It also depends where you go to school.  Out-of-state tuition in Utah is cheaper than in-state tution in California.  They can still get an education, but they shouldn't receive the benefits of legal residents. 

I am not openly calling for the deportion of illegal immigrant children who are now adults.  Even though it wasn't their choice, they are here illegally and don't get same benefits of legal citizens.  While this might not be "fair", unfortunately, the law doesn't take "fair" into consideration.  Besides, why should Americans be forced to accomodate foreign nationals?  Living here illegally, getting free primary education, and being able to work (all of which wouldn't be happening if our borders were properly maintained) is accomodation enough. 

« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2007, 01:05:03 PM »
Besides, out-of-state tuition isn't totally unfair.  It also depends where you go to school.  Out-of-state tuition in Utah is cheaper than in-state tution in California.  They can still get an education, but they shouldn't receive the benefits of legal residents. 

I am not openly calling for the deportion of illegal immigrant children who are now adults.  Even though it wasn't their choice, they are here illegally and don't get same benefits of legal citizens.  While this might not be "fair", unfortunately, the law doesn't take "fair" into consideration.  Besides, why should Americans be forced to accomodate foreign nationals?  Living here illegally, getting free primary education, and being able to work (all of which wouldn't be happening if our borders were properly maintained) is accomodation enough. 

How are they able to work? I mean, yes, they presumably have the same jobs available to them that other undocumented workers have access to, but isn't it more beneficial for everyone involved if they are able to pursue an education and gain a legal status here so they can pay taxes and work skilled jobs which benefit the state as a whole?

« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2007, 02:34:14 PM »
No, because that would encourage more illegal immigration, which is what Dems and Repubs are trying to stop. 

aerynn

• Wait, what?
    • View Profile
    • http://lawschoolnumbers.com/display.php?user=aerynn
    • Email
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2007, 08:55:28 PM »
No, because that would encourage more illegal immigration, which is what Dems and Repubs are trying to stop. 

You still haven't addressed my point that illegal immigrant doesn't equal automatic deportation.  If it is just a fine and continued undocumented status, then wouldn't it be beneficial to society to make the people staying here as productive as possible? 

Why give ANYONE in-state tuition?  Why do we have schools at all?  Don't these reasons and incentives apply to undocumented immigrants who intend to stay in the state forever anyway?  Education is not a reward for being a citizen; it is a benefit conferred so that the state can get something back: an educated workforce that earns more and pays more taxes.  Hopefully, those educated people will found successful businesses and successfully manage existing businesses.  Or they will provide skilled services that the state needs to attract more taxpayers to live in the state.

I am sorry I was short with you earlier, but I was running on zero sleep and was in the middle of law review write on, posting on a break.

DDBY

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2007, 08:49:05 PM »
I am posting this under this thread b/c I didn't quite know where else to put it.  Currently there are over 20 states that offer in-state tuition to illegal immigrants.  To me this seems totally unfair that someone who is not even a citizen of this country gets in-state tution, while an American citizen has to pay out of state tuition.  Thoughts, comments, reactions?  Does anyone think that this is a good idea?  Please explain. 
No one ever seem to deal with this obvoius issue.  Where does an illegal alien get a ss# to use social services and legal immigrant benefits?

leostrauss

• The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2007, 08:53:22 PM »
Uh, they do it illegally usually on a black-market . . . I think

DDBY

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2007, 09:00:28 PM »
Right.  Certain people (libs) seem to deliberately overlook this.  They like illegal aliens because they can pay them less and deny them workers rights.  They deliberately want to create a slave class in our society.

leostrauss

• The silence of a wise man is always meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 24, 2007, 09:05:53 PM »
Right.  Certain people (libs) seem to deliberately overlook this.  They like illegal aliens because they can pay them less and deny them workers rights.  They deliberately want to create a slave class in our society.

Though I am strongly against illegal immigration, I doubt "libs" want to create a slave class. This is just step one of five toward equality for all in their minds I think. See below:

1. Amnesty
3.Underpants
4.demand equal pay/rights for the downtrodden class you just demanded amnesty for in step one
5. Profit.