Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: double major or not  (Read 5159 times)

latinokid928

• View Profile
double major or not
« on: May 04, 2007, 04:49:03 PM »
I have been seriously considering taking a double major of Political Science and Economics when I enter college to impress law schools. However, I also wonder if maybe it would be better to simply major in only Political Science and then be able to focus more on maintaining a great GPA. Which of these choices would probably be more beneficial and make me more appealing to the top law schools?

bamf

• Sr. Citizen
  • legal eagle
    • View Profile
Re: double major or not
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2007, 05:08:34 PM »
take classes you are interested in ... the worst things I did in college I did because I thought they would look good to law schools.  Never ever let that be your motivation.  Just because you are polisci doesn't mean you can take econ classes ( I would suggest it, actually ... I regret not taking more econ)
2L, Boston College Law

http://lawschoolnumbers.com/bamf

Around from time to time.  Always willing to answer any Qs about BC, my '06/'07 cycle or law school in general ... PMs work better ...

Lampshade Punk

• Sr. Citizen
  • "Even in the quietest moments."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2007, 09:34:11 PM »
focusing on class and double majoring aren't mutually exclusive.  its a false dilemma.  you can focus on getting good grades in political science while carrying a second major in economics.  cheer up emo kid.

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 09:30:21 AM »
I have been seriously considering taking a double major of Political Science and Economics when I enter college to impress law schools. However, I also wonder if maybe it would be better to simply major in only Political Science and then be able to focus more on maintaining a great GPA. Which of these choices would probably be more beneficial and make me more appealing to the top law schools?

Law schools won't care if you double major...they will care if you have good grades.  I double majored because I loved both subjects, but I don't think it gave me any boost in admissions.

Probably half of the other applicants will be double majors...so it won't impress them.

beeker

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 03:42:06 PM »

Law schools won't care if you double major...they will care if you have good grades.  I double majored because I loved both subjects, but I don't think it gave me any boost in admissions.

Probably half of the other applicants will be double majors...so it won't impress them.

agreed.  unless your double-major was in something bizarre, like engineering and nursing (is that even possible?!), it won't give you a competitive edge with admissions. do it if 1. you want to AND 2. you don't see grades dropping because of it.

Agreed to the bolded...and very much so.

My double was classical archaeology and US history...I like old things.

iscoredawaitlist

• Sr. Citizen
  • The beagle puppy of anticipation
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2007, 12:53:40 PM »
Don't do it! It's a trap!

< /bitter multi-major complaining>

The Pookie

• Sr. Citizen
  • the penguin is back!
    • View Profile
    • For Inquiring Minds - LSN
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2007, 02:43:47 PM »
good soft factors e.g. awesome volunteer work, activist work, etc, are more important thanj just double majoring.

i'd suggest you focuisng on the things that you *want* to do

i only have one major - history - but i was pretty heavily involved in one extracirrcular, and it didn't seem to hurt me. although i do wish i had figured out that i wanted to go to law school so i wouldn't have slacked off so terribly during freshman year.

n/a

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 11:29:41 PM »
Double majoring is about 35th on the list of importance of what most adcomms look at...

Major in Economics, if you end up deciding not to do law school your degree will give you much more freedom and flexibility to find a job than would a poli sci, which, at least where Im from, seem to be a dime a dozen.