Law School Discussion

The plot thickens... (UT TROLLS CLICK HERE)

Re: The plot thickens...
« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2007, 08:44:56 PM »
Aside from the fact that Austin has lots of live music (not that you'd have time to enjoy it) and UTexas has great athletics, it's a better school and it's cheaper.  $14K a year would be $42K by the time you get your JD.  That's a big difference.  Also is cost of living cheaper in Austin?

And not to be the rain on parade, but what if another hurricane hits NOLA?  Then what?

And $42K is not just $42K. At 8% interest for loans, and then that you will be earning like $1.60 for every $1 you keep, it can be a more significant figure that it appears.

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2007, 09:10:29 PM »
Aside from the fact that Austin has lots of live music (not that you'd have time to enjoy it) and UTexas has great athletics, it's a better school and it's cheaper.  $14K a year would be $42K by the time you get your JD.  That's a big difference.  Also is cost of living cheaper in Austin?

And not to be the rain on parade, but what if another hurricane hits NOLA?  Then what?

The total difference is 14k...  Cost of living would actually be higher in Austin in my situation.

I do not see any reason the legal community would react any differently to another hurricane...

The legal community might not be greatly affected by another serious hurricane, but the university itself could be.  I mean odds are the same thing that happened in fall of 2005 won't happen again for a long time, but would you really want to be forced to take a semester off/study somewhere else due to a freak hurricane?  I know this is a distanct concern, but it's one minor factor that can be weighed with all the other ones like debt, location, $$$, $$$, and $$$.

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2007, 01:13:37 AM »
Aside from the fact that Austin has lots of live music (not that you'd have time to enjoy it)

There's time. I think I have already been to more concerts than I did in all of undergrad haha.

SilentSwirl

• Summer!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2007, 02:18:39 AM »
If you want more people with UT/Tulane knowledge to answer, you might consider changing the subject of your thread to something that incorporates those two names. I am personally more likely to click on a thread with the intent to provide information if I know before I click on it that I have information to provide. As it is, you are probably getting alot of 'curious clickers' and not enough 'good UT trolls,' because they don't know you're looking for them.

« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2007, 07:52:25 AM »
I call shenanigans.

botbot

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2007, 10:19:52 AM »

And $42K is not just $42K. At 8% interest for loans, and then that you will be earning like $1.60 for every $1 you keep, it can be a more significant figure that it appears.

Again.... No debt on graduation, total cost difference is 14k.  Cost is not a very big concern at all. 

I lived on the gulf coast for a few years, I understand hurricane risks.

Will Hunting

• I wanna go fast
    • View Profile
Re: The plot thickens... (UT TROLLS CLICK HERE)
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2007, 01:57:51 PM »
Just go to Tulane.  Everyone has already addressed all the regular decision topics that one typically looks at to make their LS decision (rank, job placement, location, QOL, COL, library, professor quality, clinics) and it seems to make no difference.  It's been said before, but go wherever makes you happy.  I've read every post in this thread and if the things that have been said won't pursuade you, nothing will.  Go to Tulane and enjoy it. 

Personal aside, I go to UT right now in a Master's program and a few of my classmates went to NOLA and Florida for spring break.  NOLA was disgusting, smelled literally like poop, and made me miss Austin in a matter of hours. Just my $.02.

kirkcameronsgf

• Ever since I can remember, I been poppin' my colla
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2007, 02:09:18 PM »
Good luck deciding Miss Bot!  :-*

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2007, 02:59:09 PM »
Have you really spent that much time in Austin? Many people visit Austin and only do the touristy things and don't get to see some of the stuff that makes Austin so great (many Austinites, including myself, get tired of 6th street after about three months past their 21st birthday). Yes, the area west of town is gorgeous, but there are some great neighborhoods within Austin, and they're not overrun with UT undergrads. I agree with the previous posters that your mind seems to be made up, but the only people who I've ever met who hated Austin were either northerners who didn't like the heat and South Carolinians who didn't like that there are weird people walking around the drag. I suppose I will be less of a UT troll in this thread and more of an Austin troll.

Funky Cold Hrdina

• Relative Anonymity
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2007, 03:03:56 PM »
Just go to Tulane.  Everyone has already addressed all the regular decision topics that one typically looks at to make their LS decision (rank, job placement, location, QOL, COL, library, professor quality, clinics) and it seems to make no difference.  It's been said before, but go wherever makes you happy.  I've read every post in this thread and if the things that have been said won't pursuade you, nothing will.  Go to Tulane and enjoy it. 

Personal aside, I go to UT right now in a Master's program and a few of my classmates went to NOLA and Florida for spring break.  NOLA was disgusting, smelled literally like poop, and made me miss Austin in a matter of hours. Just my $.02.

haha, I knew we were meant to be together.  :-*