Law School Discussion

Nine Years of Discussion
;

Author Topic: The plot thickens... (UT TROLLS CLICK HERE)  (Read 3945 times)

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
Re: The plot thickens...
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2007, 12:30:07 PM »
<--- Loves being at UT. The students are smart and friendly (It's easy to make friends and you don't see mopey faces around...well, maybe before the morning coffee!), been taught by some of the best professors I've ever had, and the name opens plenty of doors from the very first summer (the 1L summer big-law money sure helps).

Just to throw in, the number of offices in TX listed on NALP as recruiting on campus:
UT: 99
Tulane: 36

I can imagine that plenty of people go from Tulane to Texas for work, but the simple thing is that it's going to be easier from UT.

What would you estimate as the % of UTex 1Ls that get paying big law gigs?

The answer is here, but the website is currently down:
http://www.law.com/jsp/nlj/PubArticleNLJ.jsp?id=1168423325385

The answer is a very high percentage, one of the highest in the country, significantly higher than UT. If you go to Tulane over UT, you are giving up significant employment oppurtunities unless you want to work in Louisiana or Europe. Graduate in the middle of the class at UT and you can still get a BigLaw job. Middle of the class at Tulane? Kiss that BigLaw job goodbye.

I read the article, but unless I missed it - there isn't anything on 1Ls there.  It just says UT does pretty well at the NLJ 250 (although worse than Fordham  ;))

Guys I am just trying to get all the information, there is no doubt that others would love to take my spot.  I will hold the spot until I have all the information I need to make the choice.

I was just trying to get some UT love going - if you don't want to talk about your school, don't.

-- And I appreciate all the contributions guys!

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2007, 01:37:43 PM »
Guys I am just trying to get all the information, there is no doubt that others would love to take my spot.  I will hold the spot until I have all the information I need to make the choice.

I was just trying to get some UT love going - if you don't want to talk about your school, don't.

Actually, it sounds like you've already made up your mind.  You seem convinced that you would be miserable in Austin, and I'm not sure what sort of evidence it would take to change that.

At some level, it doesn't matter what the objective facts are regarding what schools are "better" or "worse" - if you're going into an experience more biased towards the negative than the positive, the risk is high that you'll get what you expect.  This isn't a character judgment - it's human nature.

I like it here, and I know plenty of others who do too.  I'm sure there are a fair number who hate it, but this is counfounded by those who don't like UT and those who don't like law school, period.

UT is certainly not the only route to a law job in TX.  No one's going to look at a Tulane degree and automatically drop your resume in the circular file on that basis alone.  Your immediate opportunities (in terms of OCI) may be fewer, but in the end all you need is one that works out.  The majority of law students appear to be risk-averse creatures who feel most comfortable maximizing their chances at conventional success - biglaw, clerkship, etc.  Not everyone fits that mold, however, and for some, the subjective factors are paramount.  If that's you, go where you think you'll be happiest, make the most of it, and don't look back.

Back to studying...

Best response in the thread!  I have a huge Tulane bias, and I know it shows in this thread.  I am trying to fight it though, and thats why I keep posting here.

I have a better opinion of the UT students just from your post.

Tulane1L

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2007, 02:09:43 PM »
Only you can make this decision, not a bunch of random people you have never met on a message board.

So sit down, and consider everything - location, job prospects, general feelings, etc. and do what you think will make you happy in the end.  You will not be shooting yourself in the foot by attending either school, especially debt-free.

Funky Cold Hrdina

• Sr. Citizen
  • Relative Anonymity
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2007, 03:38:37 PM »

Actually, it sounds like you've already made up your mind.  You seem convinced that you would be miserable in Austin, and I'm not sure what sort of evidence it would take to change that.

At some level, it doesn't matter what the objective facts are regarding what schools are "better" or "worse" - if you're going into an experience more biased towards the negative than the positive, the risk is high that you'll get what you expect.  This isn't a character judgment - it's human nature.

I like it here, and I know plenty of others who do too.  I'm sure there are a fair number who hate it, but this is counfounded by those who don't like UT and those who don't like law school, period.

UT is certainly not the only route to a law job in TX.  No one's going to look at a Tulane degree and automatically drop your resume in the circular file on that basis alone.  Your immediate opportunities (in terms of OCI) may be fewer, but in the end all you need is one that works out.  The majority of law students appear to be risk-averse creatures who feel most comfortable maximizing their chances at conventional success - biglaw, clerkship, etc.  Not everyone fits that mold, however, and for some, the subjective factors are paramount.  If that's you, go where you think you'll be happiest, make the most of it, and don't look back.

Back to studying...

Best response in the thread!  I have a huge Tulane bias, and I know it shows in this thread.  I am trying to fight it though, and thats why I keep posting here.

I have a better opinion of the UT students just from your post.

:o

This whole time all you wanted was someone to tell you you're biased? geeze...

themanwithnoname

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2007, 07:34:36 PM »
Only you can make this decision, not a bunch of random people you have never met on a message board.

So sit down, and consider everything - location, job prospects, general feelings, etc. and do what you think will make you happy in the end.  You will not be shooting yourself in the foot by attending either school, especially debt-free.

This is how you know you should go to U of T. A Tulane troll can't even say "go to tulane"/

Are you sure you want to practice in Louisiana? if the answer is no than you are absolutely nuts not to go to U of T.

whoisjohngalt

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I go to Cornell... ever heard of it?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2007, 10:25:15 PM »

This is how you know you should go to U of T. A Tulane troll can't even say "go to tulane"/

Are you sure you want to practice in Louisiana? if the answer is no than you are absolutely nuts not to go to U of T.

TITCR.  I think you'd be nuts to chose a school with worse job options that costs more $. 

OTOH, why buy a new Lexus at discount for $15k when you can get a sweet Chevy Aveo for $35k?

AntiGunner

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2007, 12:32:55 AM »
Hey this is Mrs. Botbot

Today UTexas threw me a curve ball by offering a scholarship.  Total cost of UT is now less than $36,000.  Total cost of Tulane is about $50,000...

I am still 99% at Tulane next year, but I really wish I didn't open that stupid envelope.

UT trolls, convince me of its greatness!

What sort of fool whould choose TTTulane over UT?

botbot

• Sr. Citizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2007, 02:44:39 AM »
Maybe me!

ě

• Sr. Citizen
  • non sequitur
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2007, 05:21:32 AM »
OTOH, why buy a new Lexus at discount for $15k when you can get a sweet Chevy Aveo for $35k?
Because the Lexus isn't a Chevy.

whoisjohngalt

• Sr. Citizen
  • "I go to Cornell... ever heard of it?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2007, 10:12:50 AM »
Because the Lexus isn't a Chevy.

You might not have understood - it's what we call "sarcasm."